Television Shogun

FX is on cable, possibly HULU too.

It’s not HBO type cable, and I’m not usually impressed by their shows anyway (outside of the original run of Justified and maybe a few other things)

If this was Amazon, Netflix, HBO or something along those lines I’d be more optimistic.

I was too young for the OG series. Never read the book but I've read Gai-jin years ago so I know this is going to be good. Production seems to be on point and Hiroyuki Sanada is a tremendous addition to this series.

giphy.gif

Huge Clavell fan. Read the book multiple times. Ironically enough saw the trailer for this earlier today. Turned it off halfway through.. Looks like absolute horseshit. None of the actors look right, and all the scenes of women fighting look ridiculous as shit. There were no such scenes in the book.

I like Hiroyuki Sanada, but he’s woefully miscast as Toranaga.

Loved the book, I’ll give it a go

I remember when the original miniseries with Richard Chamberlain was on TV back in the 80s, my dad loved it but I never watched it because at that time I had no interest in historical dramas.
Years later my tastes changed and I read the novel. It is absolutely tremendous.

Loved the book, I’ll give it a go
Watch the original Shogun with Richard Chamberlain. Its still one of the best made movies ever about japanese culture and they went into a level of detail and authenticity that is breathtaking. The good old times without agenda film making.

I might be a cynic but I expect this movie infused with modern identity politics and far less dedication and respect to the book. The original cast with Chamberlain, Toshiro Mifune , Yoko Shimada and Damien THomas was simply perfect.

You can buy it on blu ray in good quality.

The trailer has few well made scenes and quite some absolute shitty ones. No thanks,
MV5BN2UzODRjOWUtYTBmYS00YzhkLWIzNDItYWUyNTNhYmI4ZmFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY1MzQyOTY@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Toranaga was bald (like most Samurai) and he had a fat belly. He wasn’t skinny with a full head of gray hair.
I understand. Ieyasu was a chubby manlet. Not enough for me to get upset about.

If that was the only problem, I’d be fine with it too. Literally none of the dialogue or scenes in the trailer were in the book, though. It’s going to be another property “updated” for “modern audiences.”
This is more like a remake than a reboot then. As long as there is no race swapping, we'll just have to wait.

This is more like a remake than a reboot then. As long as there is no race swapping, we'll just have to wait.
Well, I don’t see how it would be possible for them to raceswap anyone (though that never stopped them before). It looks like instead they’re gonna go for the strong wahmen beating up men shtick.

Well, I don’t see how it would be possible for them to raceswap anyone (though that never stopped them before). It looks like instead they’re gonna go for the strong wahmen beating up men shtick.
I am trying really hard to ignore that in the trailer.

<Hendricks02>

Watch the original Shogun with Richard Chamberlain. Its still one of the best made movies ever about japanese culture and they went into a level of detail and authenticity that is breathtaking. The good old times without agenda film making.

I might be a cynic but I expect this movie infused with modern identity politics and far less dedication and respect to the book. The original cast with Chamberlain, Toshiro Mifune , Yoko Shimada and Damien THomas was simply perfect.

You can buy it on blu ray in good quality.

The trailer has few well made scenes and quite some absolute shitty ones. No thanks,
MV5BN2UzODRjOWUtYTBmYS00YzhkLWIzNDItYWUyNTNhYmI4ZmFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY1MzQyOTY@._V1_.jpg
Good points, I’ll hunt it down

The worst is that by infusing that into the book it looses all its complexity of human behaviour. Shogun looks at Japan from a westerners morality at the beginning and then slowly opens up to understanding that its just very very different and that there is also precious insights to find besides the violence and serfdom.. Yoko Shimada did a fantastic job in portraying this duality.

The original had so many topics it portrayed with care. Christianity in Japan shown with the Jesuits and Dominicans (not in black and white) , Shintoism, Serfdom, Samurai Class, violence in its pro/cons, cultural identity, social etiquette...etc. The action is just a small notion outside of that and if the trailer tells us anything about the final movie it will be about "cool" scenes , pompous music score and infighting.

Identity politics seem to be with the "warrior" woman aspect (which makes absolutely zero sense and in itself with destroy the show) and could be in how the dutch are portrayed (racists :rolleyes:) and christianity / Jesuits. Thats the thing with near all modern film makers, They are only able to think in a black & white categories and that approach fails miserable with Shogun. The smug look on the female actor tells it all.

Also I know its a very minor thing but the beard Toranaga is sporting seems way too big for a historical hige.

The book was great. Clavell was a great author.
Yes he was. One of my favorites. King Rat stayed with me for weeks after I finished it. Don’t think I’ve ever thought about a book and it’s characters more than I thought about this one after finishing it.

As it was based on Clavell’s own POW experiences, I wanted to write him and ask him what happened to King after the war, but sadly, he’d already passed.

I was too young for the OG series. Never read the book but I've read Gai-jin years ago so I know this is going to be good. Production seems to be on point and Hiroyuki Sanada is a tremendous addition to this series.

giphy.gif

The book was great. There was a series too but I never got to watch it much. Hope this captures it

I dunno. Doesn’t look “good”. But I’m always down to watch some Samurai sword fights so I’ll probably still enjoy it, e en if it does leave out what actually made the book great.

From what I remember in the book, there was actually almost no action at all. There’s the scene where Toranaga retinue is dueling the guards when they try to leave the castle he was a hostage in. The. There’s a ninja attack and I think that was it?

Yes he was. One of my favorites. King Rat stayed with me for weeks after I finished it. Don’t think I’ve ever thought about a book and it’s characters more than I thought about this one after finishing it.

As it was based on Clavell’s own POW experiences, I wanted to write him and ask him what happened to King after the war, but sadly, he’d already passed.
I still think about Noble House every once in a while and it's been 30+ years since I read it.

Back