Shoop SHOOP Dat BIGWAVERIDER R.I.P. Brother

6zawaz.jpg

In somewhat related news - Has anyone seen Frank Mir's new head?

fgdhzryuyaeeeh6-jpeg.950992

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/what-is-going-on-with-frank-mirs-head.4262756/

6zba6g.jpg

Last edited:

SMOKEHOUSE BROWN!
@Arqueto Same here, the music and movie are so good. If you like that 'Eugenes Trick Bag' section, then you might like the following piece of music by Yngwie Malmsteen (another tune I can play on guitar)...

@Myrddin Wild I love that piece of music you're talking about. The riff at the following timestamp has such a good groove to it...

The closing sequence (although slightly modified) in that section you're talking about was used in Steve Vai's song called 'The Riddle', timestamped here...

I never thought I would come across people on Sherdog who know about Steve Vai and Crossroads.

Sounds like someone's about to unleash the fucking fury! ?1?

giphy.gif

I never thought I would come across people on Sherdog who know about Steve Vai and Crossroads.
Same here bro~ We've got very similar tastes. One of my first big concerts was Malmsteen. I couldn't be bothered to hoot & holler & party like everyone around me... I was literally completely stoic, & jaw dropped... the entire concert. lol...

I know the work you've put in if you can play Malsteen & Vai. Mastering that picking technique takes a special kind of obsession.
Teh fast stuff technique wit teh "3 notes per string" pattern... where teh 3rd note is a down stroke that continues as a down stroke on the next string's first note... is the absolute only way to play that fast.

I also do down & up between stringz when I'm not warmed up, but it's slower. When you take the time to go past the next string with your pick to snag that upstroke, you're already falling behind.
That acoustic part at the end of the crossroadz duel, was a finger exercise for Vai that he turned into that part of the movie. He made those crazy finger stretchez on purpose as a workout!

7wuXfar.png

I worked my speed up with it a bit, but it's crazy to be able to do it that fluently at that speed with those wide finger stretchez.

That's sweet you're into those rippin' guitar soloz. I love that style too and became obsessed with it as a kid. I played "Eruption" by Van Halen at a school function as a teen, :D (with live drummer & bass player) ...but after Eddie'z lead singer went solo with Vai, I went all in with Vai.

I love his student Orianthi also.

As teh story is told. Steve Vai waz overseaz & just happened into a small club with very few people in it, and a teenage Orianthi waz in there throwin' teh fook down... & Vai waz so taken by her playing that he later met with her parents & offered to tutor her playing... which he did for many yearz.

If I'm remembering correctly... this is her intro to the national scene.

...of coarse the rest is history. Here'z a cool vid that really speaks to me... of her doing Voodoo Chile

The closing sequence (although slightly modified) in that section you're talking about was used in Steve Vai's song called 'The Riddle', timestamped here...
I've actually incorporated that sequence into my improv playing in a lot of different forms, with whatever key or "mode" I'm playing in. I often instinctively close out a lead section with some kind of variation of that riff ending on the low primary note.

That's so cool you're into the same stuff bro! Your shooping is amazing, but I've now become more interested in you as a guitar player~ :cool:

Same here bro~ We've got very similar tastes. One of my first big concerts was Malmsteen. I couldn't be bothered to hoot & holler & party like everyone around me... I was literally completely stoic, & jaw dropped... the entire concert. lol...

I know the work you've put in if you can play Malsteen & Vai. Mastering that picking technique takes a special kind of obsession.
Teh fast stuff technique wit teh "3 notes per string" pattern... where teh 3rd note is a down stroke that continues as a down stroke on the next string's first note... is the absolute only way to play that fast.

I also do down & up between stringz when I'm not warmed up, but it's slower. When you take the time to go past the next string with your pick to snag that upstroke, you're already falling behind.
That acoustic part at the end of the crossroadz duel, was a finger exercise for Vai that he turned into that part of the movie. He made those crazy finger stretchez on purpose as a workout!

7wuXfar.png

I worked my speed up with it a bit, but it's crazy to be able to do it that fluently at that speed with those wide finger stretchez.

That's sweet you're into those rippin' guitar soloz. I love that style too and became obsessed with it as a kid. I played "Eruption" by Van Halen at a school function as a teen, :D (with live drummer & bass player) ...but after Eddie'z lead singer went solo with Vai, I went all in with Vai.

I love his student Orianthi also.

As teh story is told. Steve Vai waz overseaz & just happened into a small club with very few people in it, and a teenage Orianthi waz in there throwin' teh fook down... & Vai waz so taken by her playing that he later met with her parents & offered to tutor her playing... which he did for many yearz.

If I'm remembering correctly... this is her intro to the national scene.

...of coarse the rest is history. Here'z a cool vid that really speaks to me... of her doing Voodoo Chile

I've actually incorporated that sequence into my improv playing in a lot of different forms, with whatever key or "mode" I'm playing in. I often instinctively close out a lead section with some kind of variation of that riff ending on the low primary note.

That's so cool you're into the same stuff bro! Your shooping is amazing, but I've now become more interested in you as a guitar player~ :cool:

That's exactly right - a person needs to be able to do at least two downstrokes/upstrokes in a row to play those three-notes-per-string sequences as fast as Malmsteen while picking every note to get that fluent 'chop' sound, and even more so if you're trying to do diminished sequences. For the first couple of years when I was really learning how to play fast, I was only taught to alternate pick - I was told it was faster. It was causing me to get stuck at certain parts of songs - I could not get the speed up to perfect those sections no matter how much I practiced.
But I got a hold of Vai's '10 Hour Practice Workout' practice regime instructional book and in it he explained the double downstroke/upstroke technique. I began to incorporate it into my playing, and it was hard to break the habbit of alternate picking, but seeing as though I had already been practicing sweep picking apreggios, I managed to pick up the double downstrke/upstroke thing. It unlocked all the sections in songs that I was getting stuck on.
From then on, I focussed less on which direction I was picking, and more on just dealing with whatever picking direction came my way - it was very liberating for my playing.

When I was 15 years old, Steve Vai did a tour for his Firegarden album release. I'm in New Zealand, so those opportunites don't happen here very often. It was held at quite a small R18 venue, so I was too young to go. But I managed to get a ticket through my guitar teacher, and attempted to get in. They didn't even ask for I.D, and they let me in.

The day before the show I met Vai at the local music shop and got him to sign my Ibanez Jem.

The day before the show I met Vai at the local music shop and got him to sign my Ibanez Jem.
[<dunn]
Sweet Guitar! I started out getting lucky by picking out teh iconic "80's metal sounding" Ibanez RG550 as a kid... before it had its reputation. It was just my favorite guitar the music store had in stock, and it felt good, so I bought it. it waz my main guitar for decades.

I still have it, but eventually got a PRS that does absolutely everything better. I'm sure the Jem would've replaced it just as handily too.

Last edited:
[<dunn]
Sweet Guitar! I started out getting lucky by picking out teh iconic "80's metal sounding" Ibanez RG550 as a kid... before it had its reputation. It was just my favorite guitar the music store had in stock, and it felt good, so I bought it. it waz my main guitar for decades.

I still have it, but eventually got a PRS that does absolutely everything better. I'm sure the Jem would've replaced it just as handily too.
Ha, I've got an RG560, Japanese made, with the volume knob near the strings (for volume swelling) and the plug in (not screw in) wammy bar. I put a Dimarzio Evo pickup in it. I think it's about a 1987 or something close to that. It's basically an RG550, except with humbucker/single/single pickup configuration and no pickguard.
They are very rare these days, and are selling for quite a lot on Ebay.

Back