Shordoggers thoughts on Petr Yan after the Sterling fight

Fess

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Although Petr was DQed, and probably rightfully so (it could go as a NC as well), but as I see it people on Sherdog actually started respecting him more, and rightfully so.
Sterling and people here called Yan a paper champ, now when Sterling is actually a paper champ (as you can't be an actual champ without beating your opponent), as I can see from other threads, people do praise Yan a lot.
Yes, Yan made a huge mistake and paid for that not only by loosing a belt, but losing his great winning streak, but we could clearly see that he was better than Sterling in all aspects, especially on the ground. Sterling managed 1 takedown out of 15 (I think) when Yan took him down 7 times.
It is clear as day that Yan did not want to hit Sterling with an illegal knee, and there was a misunderstanding between him and his corner, when they shouted "Hit him!" when Yan wanted to land a knee (they did not say knee him, as in Russian there is no such term), they just scream "Hit him", but Yan wanted to knee him, and they did not know that.
Which of you is 1 of those people who started to respect Yan as a fighter more after this fight?

Yan is the better fighter. But he must have anger control issues or something. That knee was he stupidest foul I've ever seen because he took a good 2-3 seconds to think "should I throw it?" and assess the situation. And he couldn't come to conclusion that it was illegal. The guy has good fight IQ generally but was that a dumb move.

Alvarez illegal knee against Poirier in their first fight can't compare because it was in the heat of the moment. This one was stone cold calculated.

That being said he apologized and he's going to get his belt back in the rematch anyway so that's ok with me.

Not much to say Petr had that fight almost won but he screwed up. I think he destroys alj within 2 rounds when they fight again. Yan can be the 135 goat one day I believe it.

Its weird how people call Yan a retard or scumbag, all he did was listen to his coaches like any elite fighter would.

The coach was the reason for this situation, not Yan or Sterling.

Its weird how people call Yan a retard or scumbag, all he did was listen to his coaches like any elite fighter would.

The coach was the reason for this situation, not Yan or Sterling.
He said he couldn't understand his corner and blamed the ref for talking too much about hand placement in the locker rooms.

Honestly, his stock went down a bit in my eyes. He's talented, sure, but it seemed to me like he wanted to eat a point and gain a stoppage a little later with Aljo still hurt. Could I be reaching? Maybe. It was just a little too late to shrug it off as a lapse in judgment.

I honestly don't believe Yan intended it to be a dirty blow, I just think he's really really really dumb.
Great fighter though.

I already respected Yan as a fighter, this fight made me respect him more as a man for not going after the promotion so much, but rather attacking Aljo for being proud of being "champ".

Not much to say Petr had that fight almost won but he screwed up. I think he destroys alj within 2 rounds when they fight again. Yan can be the 135 goat one day I believe it.

Agreed. It was a pretty good performance I thought. I thought my money on him was safe fairly early.

He said he couldn't understand his corner and blamed the ref for talking too much about hand placement in the locker rooms.

Honestly, his stock went down a bit in my eyes. He's talented, sure, but it seemed to me like he wanted to eat a point and gain a stoppage a little later with Aljo still hurt. Could I be reaching? Maybe. It was just a little too late to shrug it off as a lapse in judgment.
Yan is a very loyal man, and his cornermen are basically his "brothers", he does call them that.
I bet he did hear what they said, because he clearly was listening to them before he landed that knee.
I know that in his post-fight interview he said that he did not understand what they have been saying, but he just protects his friends, and took the blame.
He said in his post-fight interview that the referee before the fight put emphasis on opponent hands being on the floor, and did not talk about the knees (although he does know that it is against the rules), that why in the fight he paid attention to hands.
I think (it is my opinion) that did actually was a reason why before he landed a knee he actually hesitated. He clearly listened to his corner, because he wasn't sure that he can hit with a knee, so when he heard his cornerman scream "Hit him" (Alexei I believe) he hit the knee, as he interpreted it as a go.

Last edited:
I mean obviously everyone could see that Yan completely outclassed Sterling and deserves the belt. Making the number 1 contender look like a clown in every aspect of the fight will earn you respect from any unbiased fan. The fact that Sterling is acting like a legitimate champion will make anyone with a semblance of self-respect hate the guy for making a mockery of the sport. Yan comes out of this looking like a legitimate badass who got robbed on a technicality, while Sterling just looks like a clown.

Back