Shotgun recommendation needed

I prefer the 500s over the 870s. The safety location on the 870s just does not make any sense. Not to mention, I've read that the 500 passed military specifications over the 870.

I also prefer the 500s safety location and slide release location. Much more ergonomic and intuitive than the 870 IMO. I got a 12" LOP hogue stock on mine and it's about the perfect HD shotgun.

Winchester 1300 if you have no desire to put every kind of tacti-cool gimzo on it. The Winchester has the fastest action of any pump shotgun.

I wish I would have seen this thread before dropped 2k for a new Ethos a few weeks back.

Ethos are a model of shotgun made by Benelli.

Yeap

I never was much of a gun enthusiast just owned a small personal protection one that ended up spending 8 years in a safe, until recently in the last year I moved from inner city loft apartment to a 500 acre spread of woods.

Over the last year I have been slowly figuring out what I like. I shot just about every high end shotgun the place had. I figured I am just not the great of a shot yet and not very confident yet, there is a good chance I will be taking second and third shots often at first. Benilli's just don

Why would you use rocksalt?

Maybe this is stupid... But my new house also looks over a brand new 9 acre pond that I plan to keep stocked with tasty summer treats. The pond guy that was helping me plan and build it told me that a goose infestation in the pond can really screw up the ecology of the water, especial in the first few years while it is getting established. So when ever I hear or see goose or other water fowl near it I pop off some rock salt at them. Doesn

Read his post. He just moved to 500 acres of woods. Put 2 + 2 together; he's training to be the new "Old man Weathers" who scares and chases kids who dare each other to go onto his property at night. It's a time-honored, traditional role that people must fill like santa claus

How does one achieve that mythical, legendary status without at least unleashing a shot or two every once in a while

Read his post. He just moved to 500 acres of woods. Put 2 + 2 together; he's training to be the new "Old man Weathers" who scares and chases kids who dare each other to go onto his property at night. It's a time-honored, traditional role that people must fill like santa claus

How does one achieve that mythical, legendary status without at least unleashing a shot or two every once in a while

I would have got away with it if it wasn

For those who believe that birdshot is not adequate for home-defense.....

[YT]gq3RVvL9ZjU[/YT]

Birdshot can work for hd...I still prefer 00 or my favorite 000 buck.

There's been a lot of break-ins in my neighborhood. A few even being while the occupants, including kids, were home. Money, jewelry, and electronics are what they are going after. And in the few cases where the homeowners were present they were bound, pistol-whipped or otherwise assaulted.

I am looking to purchase a shotgun for home defense. Preferably for no more than $500, so I assume just a basic model. And one that my 13-year-old son could also handle if the need for him to do so ever should arise.

Once purchased, I plan on the both of us going to the range regularly to get practice in and to become well acquainted with the weapon.

I haven't shot a gun myself since I was 12 years old.

The brands I hear most recommended are Mossberg and Remington. But, when I visit their sites there are so many different models and configurations to choose from. I just don't know what's what.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Either recommendations for one company over the other or help wading through the different models/configurations.

Thanks.

My humble thoughts:

*Mossberg 500. I prefer it over the 870 because of the location of the slide release.

*Accessories - tactical sling, butt cuff, and side saddle.

*It is my humble opinion that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon for someone that doesn't have a background in training or trains regularly. Point and shoot.

*Additionally, keep in mind the rounds from a handgun may penetrate through your walls, go into other rooms where other family members may be, or even through and out your walls and into a neighbor's house depending on their proximity. Tactical buckshot is less likely to do this. And in the aftermath of neutralizing the home invasion threat you certainly don't want to have to deal with the legal aftermath of killing your neighbor.

*Consider taking a father-son trip to Gunsite in Arizona for their tactical shotgun course(s).

There's been a lot of break-ins in my neighborhood. A few even being while the occupants, including kids, were home. Money, jewelry, and electronics are what they are going after. And in the few cases where the homeowners were present they were bound, pistol-whipped or otherwise assaulted.

I am looking to purchase a shotgun for home defense. Preferably for no more than $500, so I assume just a basic model. And one that my 13-year-old son could also handle if the need for him to do so ever should arise.

Once purchased, I plan on the both of us going to the range regularly to get practice in and to become well acquainted with the weapon.

I haven't shot a gun myself since I was 12 years old.

The brands I hear most recommended are Mossberg and Remington. But, when I visit their sites there are so many different models and configurations to choose from. I just don't know what's what.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Either recommendations for one company over the other or help wading through the different models/configurations.

Thanks.

I'm no expert at this, but a couple other considerations regarding home defense. The goal is to create multiple layers of defense that cause the threat to choose the next house, not yours.

*Alarm signs. Personally, I think the monthly fee for an alarm system is a waste of money. But what I do think is worth the money is just buying the signs and putting them in your yard. You can buy brand new ADT yard signs on the internet for $60 or less. Usually you get 1-2 signs, stickers, etc. Have them in my yard.

*Do you have a dog? If not, have you considered getting one? If not, how about a Beware Of Dog sign on your side fence. Personally, I like the ones with a picture of a german shepherd.

*Floodlights. Good lighting is a good tool. You can install motion sensor flood lights above your garage door and at your rear patio door. Anyone walks near those lights and they come on. You'll know if someone is lurking around.

*Entry point security. You didn't mention how the break-ins occurred? Where did the burglars gain entry? Kicking in the front door? I highly recommend getting a Strike Master front door plate. They'll tire and move on when they can't kick it in or break the weak point of the door with a crowbar.

Back