Shotokan karate + boxing or Muay Thai + boxing. which is better for self defense?

Rockomon

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Should I learn SHOTOKAN karate or muay Thai? I already kinda have a karate stance. I also have a judo base which translate better into karate. The distance fighting in SHOTOKAN karate is muay Thais weakness and can frustrate a boxer into a clinch which is my strength. I can do rolling knee bars from clinch but I don't have the wrestling base to be that great at initiating a clinch.

Also karate takes less damage than muay Thai or boxing. Which is good for preventing CTE. Karate classes might be cheaper too.

Also SHOTOKAN karate has that novelty underdog aura. Many gym bros don't have the sophistication to know its strengths since BJJ and muay Thai is more popular because of it being showcased more in the ufc. That can also be a strength since it's harder to find a training partner to train against it. Lyoto machida has a SHOTOKAN karate background.

I can still do boxing sparring once a week because I know a cheap place that offers it. Boxing is also muay Thais weakness.

This is for self defense. for example in a street fight where someone potentially may have a weapon like a knife; But also potentially for mma competition (prideFC rules).

PS I'm thinking of doing Muay thai and boxing and just incorporating some shotokan karate i learned from watching training tutorials on youtube/dvd in the sparring sessions.

Last edited:
Rex Kwon Do everyday all day.

Should I learn SHOTOKAN karate or muay Thai? I already kinda have a karate stance. I also have a judo base which translate better into karate. The distance fighting in SHOTOKAN karate is muay Thais weakness and can frustrate a boxer into a clinch which is my strength. I can do rolling knee bars from clinch but I don't have the wrestling base to be that great at initiating a clinch.

Also karate takes less damage than muay Thai or boxing. Which is good for preventing CTE. Karate classes might be cheaper too.

Also SHOTOKAN karate has that novelty underdog aura. Many gym bros don't have the sophistication to know its strengths since BJJ and muay Thai is more popular because of it being showcased more in the ufc. That can also be a strength since it's harder to find a training partner to train against it. Lyoto machida has a SHOTOKAN karate background.

I can still do boxing sparring once a week because I know a cheap place that offers it. Boxing is also muay Thais weakness.

This is for self defense. for example in a street fight where someone potentially may have a weapon like a knife; But also potentially for mma competition (prideFC rules).

PS I'm thinking of doing Muay thai and boxing and just incorporating some shotokan karate i learned from watching training tutorials on youtube/dvd in the sparring sessions.
Shotokan is largely useless. Don t let one UFC fighter have you believe that the exception to the rule is the rule. And don t forget that this place is infested with delusional TMA nerds who think boxing validates wing chun.

If you want to do karate then make sure it's a full-contact knockdown style, so realistically Kyokushin or one of it's offshoots (Enshin, Ashihara, Seido, Shidokan, Kudo etc). Semi-contact point sparring styles like Shotokan will teach you jack shit about fighting (I say this from experience).

Do whichever you have more interest in. MT is the best bang for your buck but if you're planning to do boxing as well then Kyokushin would work too as you'd be training to guard the head etc

Go do karate and then spar at the boxing gym. Be sure to explain to the boxers your superiority in the clinch. You could alternatively find a Muay Thai gym and spar there after letting them know boxing is there weakness.

Get videos please.

Do Karate. You already have clinch fighting with Judo and the boxing sparring (even better to replace it with MMA style training glove sparring) will help you apply it.
Karate is also better physically for you and has more longevity.

However, get out of the idea of using any if this against someone with a knife.
Your best best it to run in that instance if you can. However the side Karate stance and maintaining range with a kick and then get out of there, would be best bet if you had no avenue to run immediately for whatever reason. Ultimately though dont ever think you can fight unarmed against a blade.

I actually think kung fu is karate’s weakness since we saw Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan beat up several karate and boxing stylists before.

However we have never seen them against Muay Thai so I would assume from Kickboxer the Movie that Van Damme beats most Muay Thai guys.
And in bloodsport we know it’s great for self defense because he beat the guy who used a weapon (sand).

Also it was kinda like Pride rules so whatever martial art Van Damme does seems like the ultimate one tbh.

Edit: Holy shit this dude joined in 2003. How old are you?

Edit 2: Wtf TheMaster joined in 2002. What is going on

Last edited:
Shotokan is largely useless. Don t let one UFC fighter have you believe that the exception to the rule is the rule. And don t forget that this place is infested with delusional TMA nerds who think boxing validates wing chun.
lol How boxing validates wing chun? what they say?

Like every TMA... Karate people learns how to fight with their Tournaments, they should concentrate in that and forget the Katas and everything that doesn't prepare them for their tournament fights

If you want to do karate then make sure it's a full-contact knockdown style, so realistically Kyokushin or one of it's offshoots (Enshin, Ashihara, Seido, Shidokan, Kudo etc). Semi-contact point sparring styles like Shotokan will teach you jack shit about fighting (I say this from experience).

Do whichever you have more interest in. MT is the best bang for your buck but if you're planning to do boxing as well then Kyokushin would work too as you'd be training to guard the head etc
Point fighters have better footwork than Kyokushin, they fight from the outside, they have speed and timing. They are very fast, i heard from a Kyokushin guy that he couldn't do nothing to the Karate guys he sparred

Point fighters have better footwork than Kyokushin, they fight from the outside, they have speed and timing. They are very fast, i heard from a Kyokushin guy that he couldn't do nothing to the Karate guys he sparred
Which is great until they close the distance (which they will) and suddenly you realised getting hit in the head for real is a very different thing to semi-contact. Range fighting is great but if you can't also fight up close (or deal with kicks getting caught) you're in trouble

Not to shit on the styles themselves, just the way they're taught tends to be geared towards a ruleset that is not helpful for real combat. No reason Shotokan can't be as effective as Kyokushin but unless you have a Machida school nearby then I'd look for KK any day of the week

Which is great until they close the distance (which they will) and suddenly you realised getting hit in the head for real is a very different thing to semi-contact. Range fighting is great but if you can't also fight up close (or deal with kicks getting caught) you're in trouble

Not to shit on the styles themselves, just the way they're taught tends to be geared towards a ruleset that is not helpful for real combat. No reason Shotokan can't be as effective as Kyokushin but unless you have a Machida school nearby then I'd look for KK any day of the week
The Machida brothers are a product of those Tournaments.. i think JKA specifically

Yup, and they changed their style based on their experience

I actually think kung fu is karate’s weakness since we saw Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan beat up several karate and boxing stylists before.

However we have never seen them against Muay Thai so I would assume from Kickboxer the Movie that Van Damme beats most Muay Thai guys.
And in bloodsport we know it’s great for self defense because he beat the guy who used a weapon (sand).

Also it was kinda like Pride rules so whatever martial art Van Damme does seems like the ultimate one tbh.

Edit: Holy shit this dude joined in 2003. How old are you?

Edit 2: Wtf TheMaster joined in 2002. What is going on
Spacetime via VPN. Soon we will see next reincarnations, a lot of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back