Should fights be stopped after "Flash Knockouts"

DOMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
From a neurologist and ringside physician:

If you are unconscious, even briefly, it’s an indicator that your brain is not functioning normally. If you are unconscious as the direct result of a blow to your head, your brain is not functioning normally due to trauma. That is a brain injury. As best as we understand it, a very brief loss or alteration (getting your bell rung) of consciousness is rarely dangerous or associated with permanent problems, just so long as the athlete is allowed the proper amount of time to recover back to their baseline. The danger with flash KOs, as we understand it at this time, is if the athlete sustains another brain impact before they have recovered from the first injury, eg. getting hit in the head multiple times immediately following the count. An already mildly concussed brain that is concussed again 30 seconds later puts the athlete at risk for a more severe brain injury.

I'm no Dr., but almost everything I read indicates a flash KO resulting from a blow to the head is a concussion. Repeated concussions over multiple years leads to CTE. Imo, if a fighter is flashed KOed, the fight should be stopped to prevent further damage.

What do the fine medical staff members of Sherdoggers think?

There are a ton of fights that haven't been stopped where the fighter was out just like Jiri.

For example, Ben Askren was knocked out the exact same length of time as Jiri was last night when he fought Lawler. That is all I am gonna say on the subject.

It's hard to say. The Kongo v Barry fight wouldn't have been as dramatic. Arturo Gatti would have never had a career and become a cult hero. But modern medicine shows the damage down the road that athletes deal with so maybe it's best for them in the end.

I'd still like to see them given a chance to recover

Absolutely.

The criteria is whether or not the fighter is intelligently defending. If one is unconscious, one cannot defend intelligently. It doesn’t matter how long the fighter is unconscious—if they go out, they can’t intelligently defend, and the fight should be stopped.

There are a ton of fights that haven't been stopped where the fighter was out just like Jiri.

For example, Ben Askren was knocked out the exact same length of time as Jiri was last night when he fought Lawler. That is all I am gonna say on the subject.

I can recall dozens of fights where a fighter was flashed KOed and the fight continued - does this make it right?

I think these doctors are bullshitting, and probably watch Barbie movie.

Fighting is never a good thing for your body, yet fighters chose to compete and we chose to watch. Let people have some entertainment damn.
I liked the Barbie movie and I’m not ashamed to say it.
<LeeOne01>

Yes, of course. Whether the momentary unconsciousness be caused by the impact of a strike, or the result of a sub. Any amount of sleepy time is an auto-stop.

Refs have a split second to make the call, if they see the guy go out, he’s out.

They don’t have the benefit of a dozen gifs in slow motion and various angles.

Absolutely.

The criteria is whether or not the fighter is intelligently defending. If one is unconscious, one cannot defend intelligently. It doesn’t matter how long the fighter is unconscious—if they go out, they can’t intelligently defend, and the fight should be stopped.

I agree. I've changed my views after getting older and getting flashed KO in the gym during sparing. I understand this view angers the just bleed crew who want to see the skull bounce off the canvas multiple times before the ref steps in.

The replies have been a lot more responsible than I thought they would be.

Pereira wasn't in an immediate position to land gnp when the ref stopped the fight. That's what bothers me the most. It's not like the ref saved Jiri from eating bombs. Jiri was out for a split second and would've recovered before Pereira could have been in position to land gnp.

I can recall dozens of fights where a fighter was flashed KOed and the fight continued - does this make it right?
Nope. Lawler got hosed against Askren. Should have been a KO win for him.

I agree. I've changed my views after getting older and getting flashed KO in the gym during sparing. I understand this view angers the just bleed crew who want to see the skull bounce off the canvas multiple times before the ref steps in.
Exactly, and the thing is, the ref doesn’t know how long the fighter will be out. If they eat even one more massive bomb while unconscious, that can do real damage.

Last night’s Jiri stoppage is much like the Fedor-Hendo stoppage: I screamed at my TV when I saw it happen, but after seeing further replays, the refs were right in both instances.

If I am being a human, when the lights go out for a second, the fight should be stopped.

As a fan, the refs should let them be warriors

I liked the Barbie movie and I’m not ashamed to say it.
<LeeOne01>

72kxb.gif

As a Fedor nuthugger, I say hell no
Then Fedor would have lost to Maldonado
<mma1>

Yes, of course. Whether the momentary unconsciousness be caused by the impact of a strike, or the result of a sub. Any amount of sleepy time is an auto-stop.

This is how it should work as long as the ref has enough time to react. I'm kind of ok with fights continuing if the fighter wakes up so fast that they can't stop it before they are intelligently defending again(Hendo vs Shields). Situations like Lawler vs Askren are weird/tough cause Lawler was out but due to the way the ref reacted like he was going to stop the fight it caused Askren to loosen the grip and Lawler woke back up, in that situation I think it should be reviewed and be a submission win since Lawler only woke up due to Askren believing the ref was stopping the fight.

Absolutely.

100%

This is a top 5 moment in MMA for me

3.gif

100%

This is a top 5 moment in MMA for me

3.gif
Still to this day, it’s the biggest emotional swing in the shortest period of time I’ve ever had watching a fight. I went from screaming in excitement to screaming in rage at the stoppage in like 5 seconds lol. Then after further replays, it was just…sadness <45>

Exactly, and the thing is, the ref doesn’t know how long the fighter will be out. If they eat even one more massive bomb while unconscious, that can do real damage.

Last night’s Jiri stoppage is much like the Fedor-Hendo stoppage: I screamed at my TV when I saw it happen, but after seeing further replays, the refs were right in both instances.

It's a tricky situation anytime a fighter gets flash KOed, some fighters will wake up fast enough that the ref can't stop it before they are intelligently defending themselves sometimes they won't. Hendo KOed Shields but he woke up due to falling and then dominated the remaining rounds.

Back