Should we try to broadcast our existence out to the universe so other intelligent life will notice?

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
So for awhile now, we've been trying to broadcast out as far as we can via satellites using the most basic of symbols to let other intelligent life, if any exist out there, that we humans exist in this corner of the universe.

Do you think this is a wise idea? Should we keep emitting signs of our presence or put a stop to it immediately?

Based on how quickly waves weaken with the inverse square law or whatever the fuck it is called, aliens would need to either be in our solar system or have a probe here, in which case they already know.

We have only been broadcasting with radio waves for about a century, so that limits possible recipients to 100 light years which is actually relatively nothing in terms of interstellar distance.

I think we will be fine.

On the other hand if you wanted to merely assess it based on risk vs reward
(keeping in mind- any foreign intelligence that discovered us before we discovered them is likely so far ahead of us in terms of progress and technology that we would be as dumb to them as dogs are to us)

while the possibility of rapid upgrade of our intelligence and technology would be cool, even the slightest possibility of alerting a malicious species of our existence and subsequent resources is a risk that I don't personally consider worthwhile.

Last edited:
So for awhile now, we've been trying to broadcast out as far as we can via satellites using the most basic of symbols to let other intelligent life, if any exist out there, that we humans exist in this corner of the universe.

Do you think this is a wise idea? Should we keep emitting signs of our presence or put a stop to it immediately?

After reading The Dark Forest, I emphatically say no.

They will judge us with our post to like ratios.

Just send this out so they know they stand no chance.

tenor.gif

We should broadcast shit like the Kardashians or that Throuple show so aliens would avoid us like intergalactic STD

I don't know, Michio Kaku thinks it's a bad idea but it seems that there are some sort of intelligent beings already here that know all about us. If they wanted to harm us, they probably could very easily. At any rate, they are closer and probably similar in terms of what we should worry about from a superior civilization or beings.

Any smart alien life would either stay away from us little ants or just toy with us. We may as well propel McDonalds into space. That shit lasts for ages.

I strongly suspect all these aliens sighting are beings that coming from somewhere in our solar system because interstellar space is just so absurdly far. And these beings are clearly aware of our existence.

Communicating with anything beyond the solar system is just our imagination gone wild at this point.

It's quite possible that we are the smartest thing in the universe. They are the ones that should be afraid

To me anything outside of planet earth, except for its effect on planet earth, doesn't exist.

All this alien shit is inspired by hollywood, and for the 1/1000000 chance that we could contact any life form, why the fuck would we want to do that in the first place? We hate eachother even within the same country, not to mention wars since always....suddenly it should workout with extraterrestial life forms?

Not to mention we have shit to fix on earth. Let's get rid of diseases, pollution, child mortality and mass immigration before looking into space imo.

If you can't reach them but they can reach you, chances are if they have aggressive intentions you're fucked

So not wise idea

We should broadcast shit like the Kardashians or that Throuple show so aliens would avoid us like intergalactic STD

The Kardashians would entice them whilst they try to find some sort of underlying message or code in the sheer emptiness and on landing they will discover TikTok, which will seal their doom.......

To me anything outside of planet earth, except for its effect on planet earth, doesn't exist.

All this alien shit is inspired by hollywood, and for the 1/1000000 chance that we could contact any life form, why the fuck would we want to do that in the first place? We hate eachother even within the same country, not to mention wars since always....suddenly it should workout with extraterrestial life forms?

Not to mention we have shit to fix on earth. Let's get rid of diseases, pollution, child mortality and mass immigration before looking into space imo.

Haven't you seen the movies, Aliens would unite the human race in hating something new for a little while......it's got to be good for global peace until we get hands on Alien tech and start a new arms race.... Or global war....

Haven't you seen the movies, Aliens would unite the human race in hating something new for a little while......it's got to be good for global peace until we get hands on Alien tech and start a new arms race.... Or global war....
I suspect what would actually happen is the threat of Aliens and the need for "unity" would be used to push though existing conflicts much more aggressively, whats a little local genocide compared to saving the human race? Greedy sociopaths won't stop being that with the threat of Alien invasion.

@lsa was telling me that he welcomes this.

He thinks a little interstellar warfare is just what we need to unite humanity.

Back