Sign here if you don't care about fighter pay.

High level sports are for the young and occasionally for the gifted somewhat old guy. When a fighter is young the outlook is generally positive, but there is a reason so many fighters end up bitter a short while after their career is done. As a young man, in their mind's eye, they think fighting is the end all be all. Fighting is a large part of their identity. It has to be if they are to succeed. Overall, good health is mostly taken for granted. A lack of money is tolerable. You can see this in any busy grappling gym. The tribes form. The ink flows. Belts are the status symbols in the rank and file. Sparring is hard. Life is good. Later in youth, age kicks that fucking door down. In come the injuries, maybe a wife, maybe a couple kids. Being broke all the time weighs heavy. They have spent every waking second trying to be the best at fighting only to realize fighting doesn't love them, it never did. Nobody outside the gym gives a fuck about that belt or all the hard sparring sessions. Don't be a fighter, use your brain, unless you are undeniably excellent. This applies to musicians, artists, athletes within all sports, etc.

I care, but I don't really care.

I don't think the UFC is over bloated with fighters, but I do think it's over bloated with too many low level fighters and that they pass up on signing too many world class and elite prospect type guys for whatever reasons. Beyond that, the promotion makes an absurd amount of money and fighters see less than 15% of the revenue, by any metric that's a ridiculously low share.

don't you think it's money? a lot of the Russians are getting sponsored by oligarchs and shit. i think if UFC was offering boxing level money they'd be way more hesitant to pull a Zabit/Askarov.

Higher pay= bigger divas and shorter careers

i agree to some extent because i've made that argument before, but it kind of goes both ways. guys aren't getting paid a lot now which is why they're constantly sitting out and/or looking to become double champs because that's the only way they can gain some bargaining power and preserve their pay check bump. on the other hand, you don't want it to turn into boxing.

The typical sherdogger thinks the UFC roster is completely overbloated with too many fighters, while simultaneously claiming that those fighters are underpaid.
To be fair I think those things can both be true.

You can think the UFC employes too many mediocre fighter it can get away with paying peanuts in order to fill cards and create a scarcity of quality MMA which can be used to sell a few PPV cards.

Last edited:
don't you think it's money? a lot of the Russians are getting sponsored by oligarchs and shit. i think if UFC was offering boxing level money they'd be way more hesitant to pull a Zabit/Askarov.

I don't understand the question, I'm saying the fighters deserve more money. Even if the weird religious and visa shit continued where Caucasian fighters would be inactive or abruptly end their careers, better pay would still largely up the level of the sport overall regardless.

I think Zabit had a few issues, one he talked about having health issues and shit and two he claimed the UFC promised him a title shot, and Yair kept pulling out vs him and they wouldn't give him a title shot...Doesn't completely make sense. Then he was going to be a medical doctor but decided not to be, now he's mainly just a coach and trains, dude trains out of a major Dagestani gym, still travels to Mark Henry, is very involved in his brother's career, travels through Central Asia doing seminars and shit etc. So weird.

Askar Askarov was just money, UFC paid him peanuts and when he copped the loss to Kai Kara he knew the title shot was never coming so he wanted back to ACA to win some real money in their tournament and the UFC said sure, see ya because he's boring.

I don't understand the question, I'm saying the fighters deserve more money. Even if the weird religious and visa shit continued where Caucasian fighters would be inactive or abruptly end their careers, better pay would still largely up the level of the sport overall regardless.

I think Zabit had a few issues, one he talked about having health issues and shit and two he claimed the UFC promised him a title shot, and Yair kept pulling out vs him and they wouldn't give him a title shot...Doesn't completely make sense. Then he was going to be a medical doctor but decided not to be, now he's mainly just a coach and trains, dude trains out of a major Dagestani gym, still travels to Mark Henry, is very involved in his brother's career, travels through Central Asia doing seminars and shit etc. So weird.

Askar Askarov was just money, UFC paid him peanuts and when he copped the loss to Kai Kara he knew the title shot was never coming so he wanted back to ACA to win some real money in their tournament and the UFC said sure, see ya because he's boring.

i was referring to when you said "UFC dsoesn't sign elite/world class fighters for whatever reasons" i'm suggesting the reason is most likely money, as you said with Askar Askarov. i feel like at least a lot of the Russians are state sponsored and are making really good money without fighting in the UFC and that's why they're fast to be like "you know what? fuck you UFC" and bounce. hell, even Khabib and Ankalaev have told the UFC fuck you before.

who-cares-matty-matheson.gif

I just want Violence

<{JustBleed}>

It's not to the point where I would care.

They're not Gladiators

856ea4b6-ebf6-4141-b1f5-a65a6ecc6b2b_text.gif

1tjL.gif

i don’t care about it insofar as it’s some sort of political issue for the self-studied commie nerds on this forum.

but of course i want fighters to be fairly compensated.
What the "self-studied commie nerds" want, is exactly that - fair compensation for fair work.

i was referring to when you said "UFC dsoesn't sign elite/world class fighters for whatever reasons" i'm suggesting the reason is most likely money, as you said with Askar Askarov. i feel like at least a lot of the Russians are state sponsored and are making really good money without fighting in the UFC and that's why they're fast to be like "you know what? fuck you UFC" and bounce. hell, even Khabib and Ankalaev have told the UFC fuck you before.

The reason IS money, but money in the sense that the more elite guys thye have the less money they can take sir.

They don't want all the best guys like they claim, they want just enough so they can pay the remaining 85% peanuts.

@HuskySamoan is definitely right about there being a plethora of low level guys...but that's most likely the reason.

Last edited:

When it comes to this, I don't really mean Russians in particular. Like when Bellator fighters end their contracts, they tended to stay with Bellator. If the UFC really wanted Patricio all those years, all they had to do was let it be known and he'd have felt out free agency. AJ McKee was similar...Shit Horiguchi JUST sat down and tried to re-sign with the UFC, they didn't want him and now he's back in Rizin..Makoto Shinryu took the bigger payday with a Rizin/Bellator contract over the UFC too. Soldic got offered more in ONE, Salahdine Parnasse is a free agent and he makes in excess of 100k a fight in KSW, does he stay with KSW? Sign with the PFL? I doubt he ends up in the UFC...despite being a world beater. Cedric Doumbe took the bigger PFL paycheck.

Oddly it's less about money with Russians it seems, Azamat Kerefov 16-0 ACA champ tried to sign with the UFC, they didn't want him. Eduard Vartanyan 25-4 former ACB champ, current ACA tournament winner tried to sign with the UFC and said he'd take a 20k contract they didn't want him. Alexandr Shabliy tried to sign with the UFC a bunch, they didn't want him so he ended up in Bellator. Khuseyn Shaykhaev is trying to get signed currently. Timur Khizriev tried to get signed to the UFC, they passed on him and now he's in Bellator. The UFC is super weird about signing Russians, I don't even think it's that financial.

Back