Slipped disk, sciatica nerve pinched

Hey, anyone here have some experience with this. I do t really have many irl friends outside of my wife and her family and coworkers. I’m bedridden and if horrific pain. I get an mri tomorrow and hope it turns out well. Right now I have to pee, but I can’t move. The pain is unreal, like being stabbed in the hip and knee at the same time. I’m on meds already and it helps. But I still am unable to sleep. Just wanted to chim in because I’m really hurting and just want someone to talk to.

I never determined what caused it but I had a real bad bout of sciatic nerve pain a couple years ago. It coincided with a bad break up after which I spent like 48 hours straight in bed with depression, which ended up causing my sciatic nerve to get somehow fucked up. It took like 3 months for it to get better. Only time in my life where I had literal trouble walking. It went on so long that I thought I was perma-fucked.

Avoid surgery at all costs if you can. The nerves can heal but it takes a long time. I have not had any sciatic nerve issues since this event ^

This is increasingly true. Back surgery and surgical technology has come a long way in the last 20 years.

The biggest two predictors of succesful back surgery outcomes are
1) compliance to rehabilitation and exercise; and
2) whether compensation and insurance are involved.

1. People are lazy, and simply do not do the hard, painful and time consuming work to rehabilitate their body.

2. If people perceive little incentive to get better, ie they get less money via insurance or a payout, or have a job they dont particularly want to return to, the less likely they are to show good outcomes from surgery. Unfortunately some people see cash signs without realising that this is the rest of their money often for the rest of their working life.

The surgery is pretty much drive thru. I was home from the hospital less than three hours after it was complete AND they had to drill through a vertebrae that they weren't aware would be an issue until after they opened me up. The rest is definitely up to me. It's the actual hard part which, if phoned in, would make it seem as though the surgery was the actual risk and unfairly so.

The surgery is pretty much drive thru. I was home from the hospital less than three hours after it was complete AND they had to drill through a vertebrae that they weren't aware would be an issue until after they opened me up. The rest is definitely up to me. It's the actual hard part which, if phoned in, would make it seem as though the surgery was the actual risk and unfairly so.

3d real time imaging is changing complex surgery alot.
Glad your surgery was not problematic

Hey, anyone here have some experience with this. I do t really have many irl friends outside of my wife and her family and coworkers. I’m bedridden and if horrific pain. I get an mri tomorrow and hope it turns out well. Right now I have to pee, but I can’t move. The pain is unreal, like being stabbed in the hip and knee at the same time. I’m on meds already and it helps. But I still am unable to sleep. Just wanted to chim in because I’m really hurting and just want someone to talk to.

Look up McKenzie Method. Thats what saved me when I got my herniated disc and sciatic nerve pinching. I did the "cobra stretch" several times a day for a long long time.

Be patient and try not to stay too long on the meds. Also, ice the area several times a day for 10-15 min every 2 hours.

Hope this will help you.

Knock on wood, for 25 years of manual labor ive been pretty lucky. Few small issues, got taken out of work for about a week once for the ol back.

For me. Icing it helped while I was lying down. As soon as I could walk, I was making sure to stand and walk as much as I could. Sitting was the worst. When I got the strength to roll out of bed, was doing lunges, planks, glute bridges and bird dogs. I also found that the reverse hyper machine at work helped me. But I realize not everyone will have access to that. Also physio was best for me. I don’t think the chiro did much. But that’s just me.

Yeah. I’m going to start doing stretches soon. I couldn’t the last two days because I could move without being in horrible pain. Today is a little better. It hurts a lot, but I can now pee without shouting. As for walking, I’m going about it slow, I plan on walking and building up, it still hurts to walk at all so only about 30 feet at a time before I feel like I’m going to fall over. Hoping I can do a little more each day.

Last edited:
3d real time imaging is changing complex surgery alot.
Glad your surgery was not problematic

You and me both. I was nervous as fuck about going under moreso than the actual surgery but they hook it up with some chill juice in the IV.

im dealing with some sacroiliac pain myself right now

at least what I think it is, I may have to get an MRI, afraid of all the undiagnosed asymptomatic stuff they might find after years of heavy lifting and bjj

it sucks because ive been put off deadlifting for a while now which kinda sucks

Been dealing with the same for a year almost now. Go to rehab man immediately

This is just not the truth of it anymore. If it's a disk issue, herniation or what not, it's common for them to get on in there pretty quickly. I did physical therapy for almost a year and it wasn't working. The disk displacement was too much. Therapy was never going to be enough and after a certain point "permanent" nerve damage is a concern. Nerves don't regenerate too quickly.

TS do exactly what you're instructed to do but don't shy away from a surgical fix because of some muppets on a tae bo message board. I was in a good amount of pain for two days, had some opiates but just two days and then the wound was completely healed and near all of the surgical pain and stiffness was gone in two weeks. 6 more weeks of just walking to let the "back settle" and then physical therapy to strengthen core and train the muscles to avoid future reinjury. That's after letting it go for what, in the surgeon's opinion, was "way too long" too though. It's going to depend much on what your MRI looks like. Mine was a "monster herniation" according to the NP that did my first follow up surgical visit.

You got this man. It's common and perhaps will seem insurmountable but it's not. I feel amazing today compared to 10 weeks ago.

Imaging writing a long winded reply just to reconfirm my point. Any decent doctor recommends therapy's and if all else fails, surgery tends to be the next step.

Imaging writing a long winded reply just to reconfirm my

point. Any decent doctor recommends therapy's and if all else fails, surgery tends to be the next step.

If you could read you would clearly grasp that I did not agree with your point due to my own quite recent experience.

and there are other people that read the thread you muppet.

Have had this before. Holy hell it hurts if you move wrong.
Was bedridden for nearly a month and could barely move, only when I had to use the toilet.
You need a bottle by your side to piss if you need to.

I was living off of mainly bags of almonds and dried fruits and bread for a month which was next to me if I needed to eat.
(One good thing is I kept this habit after as one of my daily meals and got more jacked as a result)

Booking and MRI seems way to soon. How are you going to move to get there without extreme pain or injuring more?
There's not much they can do anyway it is usually a case of just resting in bed until the discs heal and align somewhat then you can get a scan later after a few weeks and see if there is anything more that can be done but 95% of the time its just about recuperating.

Surgery is a last resort and not something to think about unless you havent recovered at all from physio a few months down the line.

If you can't sleep learn some online meditation or something like that. Also for pain management is good.

Last edited:
If you could read you would clearly grasp that I did not agree with your point due to my own quite recent experience.

and there are other people that read the thread you muppet.

You tried different methods for recovery prior to selecting surgery. Only an idiot would elect surgery before trying other means, unless you're fat and lazy which could be the case.

You tried different methods for recovery prior to selecting surgery. Only an idiot would elect surgery before trying other means, unless you're fat and lazy which could be the case.

I hurt all your feels huh? I apologize sincerely. You deserve more respect than that. I fuckin love you so much.

Have had this before. Holy hell it hurts if you move wrong.
Was bedridden for nearly a month and could barely move, only when I had to use the toilet.
You need a bottle by your side to piss if you need to.

I was living off of mainly bags of almonds and dried fruits and bread for a month which was next to me if I needed to eat.
(One good thing is I kept this habit after as one of my daily meals and got more jacked as a result)

Booking and MRI seems way to soon. How are you going to move to get there without extreme pain or injuring more?
There's not much they can do anyway it is usually a case of just resting in bed until the discs heal and align somewhat then you can get a scan later after a few weeks and see if there is anything more that can be done but 95% of the time its just about recuperating.

Surgery is a last resort and not something to think about unless you havent recovered at all from physio a few months down the line.

If you can't sleep learn some online meditation or something like that. Also for pain management is good.
My wife drove me to get the MRI and I somehow managed to find a position in the car that didn’t hurt a whole lot. Getting in the car was pure hell though. MRI went well, I walked using a cane and groaned and moaned when I walked. But the doctor really wants to make sure there is no additional nerve damage or anything due to my shin being completely numb and having no knee reflex. I want to make sure as well. They do say it’s good to move a little bit. So I walk outside and pee off my deck since I can prop myself of the rail and relax enough to let it go.

Imaging writing a long winded reply just to reconfirm my point. Any decent doctor recommends therapy's and if all else fails, surgery tends to be the next step.
It goes without saying that you would normally be prudent to exhaust non invasive therapies before you go to surgical intervention.

But for some back injuries surgery is required.

I don't think I have heard anyone say anything different.

My wife drove me to get the MRI and I somehow managed to find a position in the car that didn’t hurt a whole lot. Getting in the car was pure hell though. MRI went well, I walked using a cane and groaned and moaned when I walked. But the doctor really wants to make sure there is no additional nerve damage or anything due to my shin being completely numb and having no knee reflex. I want to make sure as well. They do say it’s good to move a little bit. So I walk outside and pee off my deck since I can prop myself of the rail and relax enough to let it go.

I had trouble remaining still for my MRI. The position would always make my legs twitch. Was quite the long time in the tube.

Its rough. Mine was in my right leg, calf and foot. Stepping on the gas was difficult, walking around feeling like somebody beat your calf up with a baseball bat. Constant nerve pain when taking a step...so chiropractor 1x per week for 6 months, until the nerve relaxes. periformis stretches 2x day until the pinch heals to a bearable level. Painkillers dont help much. Buy a $100 inversion table from big5 for weekly stretching the disc problem.

Back