So far, who have the better legacy between Izzy and Poatan?

in mma, its a toss up on what you place more emphasis on.

if you place more emphasis on longevity and title defenses, its easily izzy.
if you place more emphasis on success in a variety of weight classes p4p, then its poatan.

in kickboxing, its poatan and its not even close.

but really at the end of the day, you can make an arguement for either, it just comes to who you prefer. you can slit marks on both of their careers and argue forever but you won't reach a unamious "decision" especially at this point in their careers. if poatan gets like 5 title defenses at LHW or somehow becomes HW champ then yeah he'd be routinely considered higher on the ATG list.

Last edited:
In MMA at MW obviously Izzy.
Overall in mma though It's close, we will have to see how the rest of their careers play out.
In combat sports though it's clearly Poatan.

I am leaning towards Perreira here.

Both very different so hard to compare. Izzy has longevity and his legacy is in one division with 5 defenses and is a two time champion, he's also got more wins than Perreira.

Perreira on the other hand is a two division champ so his legacy is among two divisions. He's got less wins than Izzy, 7 vs 13, but he's got very good quality of wins beating Strickland, Izzy, Jan, Hill and Jiri who are all former champions.

I think that beating that level of opposition and being a two division champ does it for me.

I'll talk about MMA only, because I rarely ever watch kickboxing anymore, didn't really see any of their kickboxing fights until they came to UFC.

I like Adesanya's title defenses, he had a good run of defending the belt against all the number 1 contenders. However he went to LHW and failed, and Alex didn't, Alex obviously has 2 belts which is a big plus but he had zero title defenses at MW, and only just 1 defense so far of LHW belt.

They are 1-1 against each other in MMA, so its really hard to call, depends if you like title defenses more than winning 2 belts. Its a toss up for me. It looks like Alex had a better kickboxing career but I'm not gonna pretend to know much about it as I had gone off kickboxing in early 2000s

Alex even with a smaller sample size

Both very different so hard to compare. Izzy has longevity and his legacy is in one division with 5 defenses and is a two time champion, he's also got more wins than Perreira.

Perreira on the other hand is a two division champ so his legacy is among two divisions. He's got less wins than Izzy, 7 vs 13, but he's got very good quality of wins beating Strickland, Izzy, Jan, Hill and Jiri who are all former champions.

I think that beating that level of opposition and being a two division champ does it for me.
Bravo. All this.

Reactions: JKS
Is this the 37th similar thread in the last two weeks?

One FC is having a grappling contest coming up. Wish the UFC thought about these kind of things. Make the WME/UFC the king of combat sports and not just MMA.

8 championship fight wins is nothing to sneeze at. They are both massive talents. I expect them both to add more accomplishments to their records before they’re done.

Last edited:
Can't say for 100% who's clearly superior until Izzy vs DDP and their 3rd MMA clash in either 185/205 are finished.

If DDP beats Izzy and Alex beats Ank, the 3rd fight is 80-90% guaranteed to happen since Izzy will run out of option and leverage to drag Poatan down to 185, plus, the 3rd fight is his last chance of TS post the DDP beatdown.

In terms of legacy as champion, Izzy.

In terms of overall accomplishments, Alex has done so far what Izzy couldn't do - Become two division champ.

Both guys are great fighters though.

Add to that the fact Pereira is a finisher ... iced the man who took Izzy's MW title (Strickland) ... beat the LHW whom Izzy failed to beat ... is the only man in the UFC to finish both Jiri and Jamahal ... while Izzy is a runner ... and Pereira has, by far, the better presence and legacy.

And that doesn't even get into the fact Alex = a man, while Izzy dresses like a woman and acts like a teenager.

Last edited:
Add to that the fact Pereira is a finisher ... iced the man who took Izzy's MW title (Strickland) ... beat the LHW whom Izzy failed to beat ... is the only man in the UFC to finish both Jiri and Jamahal ... while Izzy is a runner ... and Pereira has, by far, the better presence and legacy.
It's too soon to make a conclusion. Ankalaev, Chimaev, DDP presented huge threat to both once they grabbed any part of their bodies.

Since Pereira has fully developed as an MMA-fighter, we'll see who really wins their 3rd and final clash in either 185/205 after September.
Perhaps December/January PPV, insha'Allah...

And that doesn't even get into the fact Alex = a man, while Izzy dresses like a woman and acts like a teenager.

Irrelevant, but can't argue with that either.

Poatan by unanimous decision
MW Izzy
All time Pereira. He has achieved everything that Izzy couldn't except a title defence run at MW.
He holds wins over Izzy 3-1 and beat everyone Izzy couldn't. Izzy is on the downswing and Pereira is on the up.

Back