So we're getting Strickland vs Usman 2 Right?

RockyLockridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
We have talks of Costa fighting cannonier, Vettori seeminglty out, Khamzat booked with Whittaker and to top it off looks like they are going with the dreadful match making in Dricus vs Izzy in Austrailia.......

It leaves strickland without a top 5 guy to fight. I figure as they are both name fighters, both former champs, have both evovled a lot since the first fight, could make for a great 5 rounder. Plus, Media can always spin up some drama about Usman avenging Izzy giving the fight promotional depth aswell.

Anyone else expecting this?

That would be a good fight.

I hope Strickland does not bitch about not getting a TS and fights. I feel Usman will be down for it.

We have talks of Costa fighting cannonier, Vettori seeminglty out, Khamzat booked with Whittaker and to top it off looks like they are going with the dreadful match making in Dricus vs Izzy in Austrailia.......

It leaves strickland without a top 5 guy to fight. I figure as they are both name fighters, both former champs, have both evovled a lot since the first fight, could make for a great 5 rounder. Plus, Media can always spin up some drama about Usman avenging Izzy giving the fight promotional depth aswell.

Anyone else expecting this?

Makes sense now that they've put Whittaker against Chimaev - yeah, why not?

I've seen talk about it being made but not sure how true that was. It does make sense though.

They have fought before. It would be a good chance for Strickland to get revenge and Usman a top contender if he's staying at MW.

Given that Usman lost his weight class debut I don't think he should be fighting someone one fight removed from the middleweight title. But at some point, sure.
If Usman didn't already have a win over Sean, it wouldn't make as much sense. But since he does, there's an angle there for Sean to get revenge.

Dricus vs Sean in Australia the Australian fans like both better than Izzy anyway. Plus Izzy ain't even Aussie he's a Kiwi.

Strickland was the former champion not one fight ago. I realize time isnt on Usmans side but at least get him to fight someone at the bottom of top 10. Then they can properly make the rematch happen between Strickland

Reactions: mkt
Eh I think Sean deserves a rematch. I’m fine with DDP vs Isreal but Sean is in the mix at the top of the division. He doesn’t have to fight a WW with no wins at MW

Reactions: mkt
Eh I think Sean deserves a rematch. I’m fine with DDP vs Isreal but Sean is in the mix at the top of the division. He doesn’t have to fight a WW with no wins at MW
But he has no business in the mix at the top of the division, and he could avenge a loss from earlier in his career without much risk. I don't know if the UFC want to risk him losing a fight that isn't for the title though, they love bolstering him.

But he has no business in the mix at the top of the division, and he could avenge a loss from earlier in his career without much risk. I don't know if the UFC want to risk him losing a fight that isn't for the title though, they love bolstering him.

Well, he wrecked Israel so I think he deserves it and also, his fight with DuPlesis was close.

Well, he wrecked Israel so I think he deserves it and also, his fight with DuPlesis was close.
"Wrecked" is not really what I would call that. It looked like every Strickland fight, lots of jabs, taking no risks, and asking the judges for help. Absolutely a win and impressive enough at that, but the cliff notes of that fight would be 'Izzy didn't look anything like himself, and Strickland hit him pretty hard once.'

"Wrecked" is not really what I would call that. It looked like every Strickland fight, lots of jabs, taking no risks, and asking the judges for help. Absolutely a win and impressive enough at that, but the cliff notes of that fight would be 'Izzy didn't look anything like himself, and Strickland hit him pretty hard once.'

I don't know. I'm a big fan of Izzy and I don't think he won a round.

Back