Something i've noticed from ONE Championship fights

Nai Khanom Tom

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seems like the technical nuances of a Muay Thai in ONE. Most fights end up in a punch KO, because they want to fight for the life-changing bonus which I understand. But damn it I'm starting to become really bored of watching ONE now. Look at their Instagram page and see how many 'highlight reel' KOs are from punches

What do you think guys? Is it just me? I know ONE is 'entertainment Muay Thai' but I'm not really entertained.

Yeah, that has always been my gripe with entertainment Muay Thai. Even before ONE, when small glove Muay Thai was mostly just MX Muay Xtreme, Muay Hardcore, and Thai Fight -- I just didn't get the appeal and couldn't see it taking off. It's like if you ate your favorite food for dinner every night. At first it's cool, but after a while the nuance is gone and it's just a slog. The infrequency is a part of why those big moments are actually big. There's no "highlight" if every fight is trying to emulate Zambidis vs Chahid

I get your points but to be honest this type of fights make me appreciate even more fights like Tawanchai vs Superbon when they happen. I also think that to see this sport grow you need something like this, fighters like Lamnamoonlek would be considered great only if the sport was already established.

For me the real problem is that they don’t want too many thais in their prime roster, because they want this global view of the sport but doing so they are taking too many farangs with strange styles and put aside guys like Ferrari Feirtex or Kulabdam(that is keeping winning pointless fights in the b show)

I get your points but to be honest this type of fights make me appreciate even more fights like Tawanchai vs Superbon when they happen.
Yeah me too. I really look forward to those big fights. You're guaranteed 5 rounds as they both know how to defend 4oz gloves.

For me the real problem is that they don’t want too many thais in their prime roster, because they want this global view of the sport but doing so they are taking too many farangs with strange styles and put aside guys like Ferrari Feirtex or Kulabdam(that is keeping winning pointless fights in the b show)
Don't forget Kongthoranee who is on a 6 win streak. I think Chatri want 'fan friendly' fighters on the Prime show.

Is it just me or does it seems like the technical nuances of a Muay Thai in ONE. Most fights end up in a punch KO, because they want to fight for the life-changing bonus which I understand. But damn it I'm starting to become really bored of watching ONE now. Look at their Instagram page and see how many 'highlight reel' KOs are from punches

What do you think guys? Is it just me? I know ONE is 'entertainment Muay Thai' but I'm not really entertained.
I agree somewhat. Stadium muay thai did it to itself in some sense. Too much point scoring, too much gambling influence.
But there should be a middle ground like more 5 round fights and more of a proper ranking system. I personally prefer the smaller gloves.

Also the mma gloves are a recipe for fighters injuring their hands.
Liam Nolan looks like he had to have surgery or something last night

Yes absolutely, but what makes it worse is the "no draw" rule which means the second you land a KD all you have to do is not get knocked down for the rest of the fight and its mathematically impossible for you to lose.

Also worth noting, Friday Fights is not the B show despite it being portrayed that way by ONE. The fighters are generally a lot better than the ones of their amazon cards, which are often champions crushing random cans, while Friday Fights are pretty much all competitive competent fighters. Hopefully at this point nobody is falling for it anymore, like maybe with 6 more wins Kongtorantee can be worthy of being in the A league with Edgar Tabares.

Last edited:
It's mostly to do with the scoring and no gambling influence. In the West a lot of the Muay Thai fights are also agressive punch brawls compared to stadium Muay Thai and you see that in One FC too especially because of the KO bonus, punches scoring the same as the other strikes and the 4oz gloves.

Someone could also argue that most stadium MT fights look the same with 2 guys standing in front of each other throwing middle kicks and then clinching in later rounds only to dance off at the end of round 5.

If you mix watching One FC with stadium MT at least you get a bit of both worlds. Personally I would probably also get bored of watching only One FC or only stadium Muay Thai all the time, hence why I watch a bit of both and also some other combat sports and orgs here and there.

Last edited:
I cant even bother rewatching their Friday Fights like I used to, there's no rhyme or reason to who gets a contract, can't follow any winstreaks for the title or anything
The contracts don’t mean anything, there are guys on 5+ win streaks who don’t get one but they brought in that random Kyrgyz guy with a 11-4 record to fight Thongpoon in a set up fight

Yes absolutely, but what makes it worse is the "no draw" rule which means the second you land a KD all you have to do is not get knocked down for the rest of the fight and its mathematically impossible for you to lose.

Also worth noting, Friday Fights is not the B show despite it being portrayed that way by ONE. The fighters are generally a lot better that the ones of their amazon cards, which are often champions crushing random cans, while Friday Fights are pretty much all competitive competent fighters. Hopefully at this point nobody is falling for it anymore, like maybe with 6 more wins Kongtorantee can be worthy of being in the A league with Edgar Tabares.
I don’t think anyone notices how can crushy and uneven the matchmaking on the Prime cards, at least the people who those cards are targeting, aka US UFC fans

It's mostly to do with the scoring and no gambling influence. In the West a lot of the Muay Thai fights are also agressive punch brawls compared to stadium Muay Thai and you see that in One FC too especially because of the KO bonus, punches scoring the same as the other strikes and the 4oz gloves.

Someone could also argue that most stadium MT fights look the same with 2 guys standing in front of each other throwing middle kicks and then clinching in later rounds.

If you mix watching One FC with stadium MT at least you get a bit of both worlds. Personally I would probably also get bored of watching only One FC or only stadium Muay Thai all the time, hence why I watch a bit of both and also some other combat sports and orgs here and there.
The bonuses being 10 times the fight purses are more to do with that. ONE Muay Thai turns into BKFC where it’s just who can spam as many punches as fast as possible and who has the best chin

I agree somewhat. Stadium muay thai did it to itself in some sense. Too much point scoring, too much gambling influence.
But there should be a middle ground like more 5 round fights and more of a proper ranking system. I personally prefer the smaller gloves.
I agree on needing a middle ground. I wasn't a huge fan of the gambling influenced stadium stuff where most of the action was in rounds 3 and 4, but I also don't like this just bleed stuff either with the fights being a sprint.

At the very least ONE should allow extension rounds.

Also worth noting, Friday Fights is not the B show despite it being portrayed that way by ONE. The fighters are generally a lot better that the ones of their amazon cards, which are often champions crushing random cans, while Friday Fights are pretty much all competitive competent fighters. Hopefully at this point nobody is falling for it anymore, like maybe with 6 more wins Kongtorantee can be worthy of being in the A league with Edgar Tabares.
But we can say that the alternative are not way better, I mean in stadium if you have a big 4th round you basically win the fight or in RWS with the open scoring if you win the first two rounds you can just defend yourself or avoid fighting in the third.

I agree on their lumpinee show that has a much better fighters in it, but they are targeting it as the “discovery talents” so for them they are weekly piece of meat.
Currently One is full of fighters of any kind, but this may change in the future because they are too much into this “rodtang kind of fighter” so they are just trying to secure a new generation of fighters like him, but they already failed with Rambolek and to be honest I don’t see that Gazali kid as an incredible talent.

Also Chatri should stop to say about every main event “I can guarantee you that this fight will not go to the distance, it will end with a KO” when a great fight is most of the time a 5 round war.

Also the way they hype the most marketable fighters is ridiculous, I don’t think that Haggerty will have a spectacular title run as Nong O did, but still they are acting like Haggerty is doing some transcendent things

But we can say that the alternative are not way better, I mean in stadium if you have a big 4th round you basically win the fight or in RWS with the open scoring if you win the first two rounds you can just defend yourself or avoid fighting in the third.

I agree on their lumpinee show that has a much better fighters in it, but they are targeting it as the “discovery talents” so for them they are weekly piece of meat.
Currently One is full of fighters of any kind, but this may change in the future because they are too much into this “rodtang kind of fighter” so they are just trying to secure a new generation of fighters like him, but they already failed with Rambolek and to be honest I don’t see that Gazali kid as an incredible talent.
The degrees of separation maybe not be huge, but I think in a tier list of MT scoring systems ONE definitely goes at the bottom.

In my opinion the ranking would be:

1. Topking scoring (traditional gambling style scoring but with side slapping knees devalued and a slight emphasis on aggression)
2. Lumpinee scoring (gambling scoring with a slight emphasis on aggression)
3. Raja scoring (gambling scoring)
4. RWS (gambling style scoring but with all rounds forced to be valued the same and slight emphasis on aggression)
5. Entertainment style (more emphasis on punches and aggression)
6. Lion fight style (weird strike hierarchy with elbows being the most valuable)
6. IFMA style (halfway between entertainment style and just scoring it like its kickboxing)
7. Just score it like its kickboxing
8. ONE (Just score it like its kickboxing but also no draws allowed so more KDs = automatic win)

Last edited:
Traditionally 5 round fights favoured fighters who were:
1. In good shape
2. More of a cerebral fighter. They would learn as they go and take calculated risks based on that.
But some of this had started to become not important in traditional stadium fights because the pace of the first 2 rounds was so slow and slap knees in the 3rd and 4th were scored too highly.
The bad side of 3 rounds fights in One for instance is calculated/intelligent aggression is not really rewarded. Cos its all about the KO.
The basis of nearly all fight sports should be calculated aggression. An example of this in One is Kongthonaree. He takes calculated risks. Ko's people all the time in One. He is on a 5 or 6 fight win streak and still hasn't got a contract. Its like they want him to go out and just swing wildly. Forget everything he has learned over 10/15 years of fighting.
Im not that much of a fan of just swinging wildly.

One FC is a dump and the guy who runs it treats his fighters like shit and is a two faced asshole! He threw Francis under the bus for no reason I heard they might be going out of business too. Good.

Back