News Sora Rakhmonova, Shavkat's sister, to compete on Contender Series on September 26th

I didn't know womens last names ends with an A in Khazakstan. Today i learned something new
Not sure it’s like that now. Seems like now they are into derussification so youth gets surnames without -ov/-ev or -ova/-eva. Like UFC fighter Azat Maksum.

is she the same weight as Poatan's sister?

I didn't know womens last names ends with an A in Khazakstan. Today i learned something new
Would assume it's a remnant from the old Soviet era and Russian empire era. Although Kazakhi people have a totally different culture and history than that of the Russians most of them have Slavic names. That's why you see a lot of Asian looking people (see Rakhmanov) with Slavic names.

Just Googled. During the Soviet era all kazakhi people had to change their surnames to Russian names. And now since a lot of kazakhi people have to work in Russia they keep their Russian sounding names for those purposes.

Not only in Kazakhstan. From central and east Europe to west Asia. Mostly all countries which were under Soviet Russia influence from 1948-1989. We add -ova to the man's husbands surname at the wedding. For example husband is Kovac and wife new name after wedding is Kovacova. This way we know gender and whom the woman belongs to. ( Kovacova could be loosely translated to "of Kovac" ).

Would assume it's a remnant from the old Soviet era and Russian empire era. Although Kazakhi people have a totally different culture and history than that of the Russians most of them have Slavic names. That's why you see a lot of Asian looking people (see Rakhmanov) with Slavic names.

Just Googled. During the Soviet era all kazakhi people had to change their surnames to Russian names. And now since a lot of kazakhi people have to work in Russia they keep their Russian sounding names for those purposes.
Russian Wiki says that Kazakhs didn't had such thing as surname -- in Middle Ages their full name was 4 words: name of subclan, name of clan, name of that person and title. During Tsar times those Kazakhs who went to get education received surnames -- name of father/grandfather/greatgrandfather, during USSR it was name of father or grandfather + ov/ev/in in the end. Clan names was replaced with surnames in USSR as a measures in fighting tribalism.
Also Wiki says that some Kazakhs from China still doesn't have surnames (I think the same with Kazakhs from Mongolia).

A lot of Kazakhstani in Russia? There are hardly any Kazakhstani working in Russia more than that I think Kazakhstan has minimal or average wages higher than Russian's.

Also their names are not Russian, more like surnames created using rules of Rusian language. And among Russian speaking mma fans there were lot of speculation regarding Shavkat, name Shavkat is not Kazakh, from what I understand (seems like it's more Uzbek name, also current president of Uzbekistan is Shavkat Mirziyoyev) and surname is not very Kazakh too (for example president of Tajikistan is Emomali Rahmonov/Rahmon; I think regarding surname Shavkat said that it's Uzbekistani goernment who wrote name of his grandpa like that).

Last edited:
Same in Russia too, let’s say for instance my dads name is Fedor my middle name will be Fedoravich and my sisters would be Fedorovna.

It's hard to believe she is only 24 years old. When I first saw her, I thought she was Shavkat's middle aged aunt or something.

Fzz04RjWIA04v7R.png

20230526033850_Sora_Rakhmonova.JPG

Not only in Kazakhstan. From central and east Europe to west Asia. Mostly all countries which were under Soviet Russia influence from 1948-1989. We add -ova to the man's husbands surname at the wedding. For example husband is Kovac and wife new name after wedding is Kovacova. This way we know gender and whom the woman belongs to. ( Kovacova could be loosely translated to "of Kovac" ).
Honestly, feels like people that had surnames before USSR wasn’t influenced. Like, thinking of famous people from USSR with Armenian, German, Finnish, Georgian, Abkhazian, Greek, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and I suspect Moldavian, Romanian, Latvian, Estonian and Lithuanian surnames - they don’t have that gender thing. Some Ukrainian like Oleinik or Emelianenko will be same for males and females. But Polish surnames that ends with -ski and variations are different for males and females.

She most likely would not be getting this opportunity if she weren't Shavkat's sister. That's not a good sign.

Still, could be fun. Her last performance was very violent.

I understand what you're saying but at least 80% (probably more) of WMMA fighters in the UFC look like they lack basic skills (eg any guy with 1 yr of training would look more skilled than them) so the bar isn't very high. As long as she's not expecting to be a title contender, there's a whole bunch of fighters in WMMA who look like they shouldn't be on a UFC card

Back