Sorry but the apex sucks.

Huge fan of the sport of MMA and grateful for free UFC but come on Dana...feels like a super low budget regional show

Either get rid of it or upgrade it .

nothing against small/ club fight atmosphere and smaller fight nights but the UFC is supposed to be the premier MMA organization globally...

Do better.
While I understand the sentiment, I kind of disagree with you.
The Apex saved US, the UFC Fans, who were stuck at home, starving for fights (During the Pandemic).
So I applaud them to use it to showcase new talent like Battle, or fringe top 10 HW's.....

Edit:
By the way, It also shows that the UFC is savvy enough to know that these guys can't fill arenas (yet).... and of course, on the flip side, it also shows that the UFC basically admits that the card is so watered-down, people would not pay to watch live.
So they showcase them "at home", hoping that, in time, they will be headlining stadiums.

Last edited:
It does suck, but it allows for them to pump out the product much cheaper & meet the ESPN deals quota much easier.

Just make all shows on "Fight Island". That's feasible right?

I don’t hate it but it can feel low energy at times. Plus they put on weaker cards because they don’t have to worry about tickets. I’d like if they made a small venue, talking like 1-2k people to have a little atmosphere. Think even the bad cards could sell that many tickets.
The plan according to the APEX wiki was to put 1000 seats in the place but that was 2 years ago and still nothing has been done so they've apparently abandoned that plan.
I personally dont mind it as most crowds annoy the piss out of me with the obnoxious woo chants every 5 mins and booing as so much as 2 fighters sniff the ground.

Who the fuck cares? Blows my mind how many people still bitch about this. I started watching the card late so I fast forwarded through of a lot of it anyway. Thanks to the Apex, you could actually hear Battle say to Loose, “You’re a pussy. I was beating your ass”. Not sure why I need an arena and a crowd to watch a bunch of squash matches with zero implications from my living room.

Who the fuck cares? Blows my mind how many people still bitch about this. I started watching the card late so I fast forwarded through of a lot of it anyway. Thanks to the Apex, you could actually hear Battle say to Loose, “You’re a pussy. I was beating your ass”. Not sure why I need an arena and a crowd to watch a bunch of squash matches with zero implications from my living room.

Imagine how awesome a crowd could have been for that Battle-Loosa situation, though.

It's sport: crowds are part of the fun.

There's a reason no sports evolved inside basements, mate.

We been knowing this but there gonna keep doing events there unfortunately

I noticed they avoided saying ‘The Apex’ and instead said ‘The Desert’ a lot

I've been to one of the shows before, its like having your own private fights taking place for you.

It's great live.

I liked WNBA games for the same reason.

I'm only half joking. A WNBA game was the best sporting experience I ever had. It was like a semi private arena.

its better than nothing
I actually disagree.

1- Apex events have no energy

which whether people want to pretend on some emporors new clothes thinking or not, is lame. Crowds respond to the action, add energy to the Peaks and valleys of the fight.

2- it dilutes the product.

If they called it UFC contender series,
or UFC regional, or something to separate this sub par product from the proper PPV and good stadium fight night cards, that would help. Or if they put these weak ass cards back on Wednesday night like they used to do, at least that would feel appropriate for the quality of the event.

3- It dilutes the talent pool

UFC has clearly gone to a quantity over quality business model over the last several years, maybe most strongly correlated with the zuffa sale. Having all these shitty cards is what makes room for them to carry a bloated roster with hundreds of fighters that have no business being in the premier org in the world.

If you got rid of the Apex cards, and in doing so, cut the corresponding amount of fighters from the roster, the overall quality would go up by a significant margin.

I actually disagree.

1- Apex events have no energy

which whether people want to pretend on some emporors new clothes thinking or not, is lame. Crowds respond to the action, add energy to the Peaks and valleys of the fight.

2- it dilutes the product.

If they called it UFC contender series,
or UFC regional, or something to separate this sub par product from the proper PPV and good stadium fight night cards, that would help. Or if they put these weak ass cards back on Wednesday night like they used to do, at least that would feel appropriate for the quality of the event.

3- It dilutes the talent pool

UFC has clearly gone to a quantity over quality business model over the last several years, maybe most strongly correlated with the zuffa sale. Having all these shitty cards is what makes room for them to carry a bloated roster with hundreds of fighters that have no business being in the premier org in the world.

If you got rid of the Apex cards, and in doing so, cut the corresponding amount of fighters from the roster, the overall quality would go up by a significant margin.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda do want UFC cards on a near-weekly basis... but I could happily reduce it by 10 a year if it meant getting rid of the Apex.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda do want UFC cards on a near-weekly basis... but I could happily reduce it by 10 a year if it meant getting rid of the Apex.

I have gotten back into watching other organizations and honestly I think they are often better than the lower tiered UFC cards, specifically the Apex cards.

Generally speaking, in the last year or so, I have enjoyed Glory Kickboxing and BKFC events more than UFC APEX cards, probably most OneFC cards too.

Back