Speakers

Brandon Wilson

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system in the next year or so. I've got some ok speakers, a Canadian brand made by a 'famous' Canadian sound engineer named Ian Paisley, but want to upgrade to a higher end pair.

I'm running a Yamaha 9.2 channel receiver (RX-A2040) with Dolby Digital and Atmos capabilities that's about 5 years old, with an Epson Projector (Epson 8350 Powerlite) that I bought at the same time.

I've been doing some research into speakers, and the brands I'm looking at the most are:

KEF
Klipsch
Definitive Technology

They all seem to have good reviews, and all have lines of speakers in a similar price range.

Just wondered if my fellow sherbros have any experience with any of these brands, and/or recommendations on any other brands to be looking at?

Cheers.

We can't really answer this question without knowing more about your current speakers and what you like and don't like about them, along with any preferences you have for speaker voicing. I know the general Ian Paisley sound from the Energy speakers line of 15-20 years ago, and it's quite different compared to the Klipsch and Def Tech sound. A price range would also help a lot here, and if you're willing to buy used it opens up a ton of options at a given price range.

We can't really answer this question without knowing more about your current speakers and what you like and don't like about them, along with any preferences you have for speaker voicing. I know the general Ian Paisley sound from the Energy speakers line of 15-20 years ago, and it's quite different compared to the Klipsch and Def Tech sound. A price range would also help a lot here, and if you're willing to buy used it opens up a ton of options at a given price range.

Ok, let me see:

Nothing inherently wrong with the speakers I have. They produce decent sound, but they're not really high end. I think I paid about 2k for them 5 years ago, and that was for 2 front towers, 2 rear bookshelf, 1 center channel and 1 subwoofer. I'm just looking to upgrade to something better.

As far as a budget goes, let's say that between 10~20k wouldn't be out of the budget. I mean I'd like to stay closer to 10k, but would be willing to go up to as high as 20k for the right set up.

I've actually been looking at used stuff, I'm just a little bit leary, as there are no guarantees with them. If I purchase them and there is a problem, I'm pretty much SOL. I'd prefer new.

And as for the usage, it's 99% going to be used for movies, TV shows and video games. Due to where the theatee room is in my house, it's not practical to use the speakers in there for music throughout the house (though the receiver has the capability to do that if I choose).

I've been researching as well, and I've come across a few audiophiles that have said that they prefer a 3rd tower speaker at the front, instead of a center channel speaker. So I'd ideally like to get either 3 front towers, with 2 rear bookshelves, 2 subs and either 4 ceiling speakers or 2 bipole/dipole speakers for the sides of the room.

Looking at the Definitive Technology BP-9080X They have built in subwoofers, so I'd love to buy 5 of them (that's about 14k Canadian right there), and that takes care of all 5 surround speakers, center channel and subwoofer. Then I'd only need ceiling or side speakers.

I'm mostly looking for advice on brands to be honest. Whether anyone has a preference of the 3 I listed in the OP, or alternatives they'd recommend instead.

Thanks for the response.

I don't have nearly as much experience with home theatre as I do with 2-channel hifi, but out of those 3 brands my preference is KEF by a mile. Klipsch is pretty love it or hate it and I don't even consider Definitive Technologies as a hifi speaker. If you play full scale choral or orchestral music (Carmina Burana for instance) through the Def Techs, you can get weird phasing effects as the sound alternates between being locked in and going out of phase and ping-ponging all over the place along with weird frequency shifts. It seems like they don't have the crossovers and radiation patterns on the drivers sorted out.

I just took a look at some of the speakers I thought would be good options and holy crap the prices have gone up a ton in the last 5-6 years. I was going to say PMC but Jesus the prices have almost tripled since the last time I checked. I'm going to have to do more checking around to see what I can come up with.

I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system in the next year or so. I've got some ok speakers, a Canadian brand made by a 'famous' Canadian sound engineer named Ian Paisley, but want to upgrade to a higher end pair.

I'm running a Yamaha 9.2 channel receiver (RX-A2040) with Dolby Digital and Atmos capabilities that's about 5 years old, with an Epson Projector (Epson 8350 Powerlite) that I bought at the same time.

I've been doing some research into speakers, and the brands I'm looking at the most are:

KEF
Klipsch
Definitive Technology

They all seem to have good reviews, and all have lines of speakers in a similar price range.

Just wondered if my fellow sherbros have any experience with any of these brands, and/or recommendations on any other brands to be looking at?

Cheers.

Look into ‘Monitor Audio’

https://www.monitoraudio.com/

Their ‘Gold’ and Platinum’ series stuff is 2nd to none.

Now I'm more confused than anything lol.

Looking around and doing research. There are so many good speaker manufacturers out there, it's almost too much to take in.

Also, my subwoofer crapped out on me, so that's my 1st priority now to replace it (it's not worth the money to fix). Looking at a 2 sub set up most likely, probably 2 ×10" or 2×12". The one's I've been looking at are:

SVS PB 2000 Pro:

https://www.electronicsforless.ca/s...-with-sledge-sta-550d-amp-black-ash-9979.html

Paradigm Defiance X12:

https://atlasavu.ca/product/paradigm-12-subwoofer-w-patented-art-surround-defiancex12/

Monolith THX Ultra Certified 12":

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24457

Thanks again guys.

with that budget, I’d check out a set of Paradigm Prestige 95F, Monitor Audio gold series, or maybe Polk Audio Legend L800s...have you considered internet direct? some good companies out there offering 60-day auditions (Aperion Audio, Axiom Audio, SVS)

So, after joining an A/V forum and getting some advice from people on there I've decided to go with the following set up:

Paradigm Speakers:

Premiere 800F Tower Speakers ×2 @ 2800$
Premiere 600C Center Channel @ 1400$
Premiere 200B Surround/Rear ×4 @ 2700$ <----- these are a maybe

Total = 6900$ (4200$)

Subwoofer:

Paradigm Defiance X12 ×2 @ 3700$

SVS PB-3000 ×2 @ 4388$

Monolith 12" THX ×2 @ 3978$

Total = 7,900$~11,288$

That's taxes in (12% here). Still trying to pick out which subwoofer to go with.

I might not go with the 4× 200B Paradigm surrounds. I was advised that I shouldn't spend that much on my surrounds, and that in a HT setup as long as your front L/C/R are all the same brand/series, that your surrounds aren't that important (not that they're not important at all, but much less so than the 3 fronts). I'm better off saving that money and getting bigger/better subs.

I was also told that the Paradigm Premiere Series sounds better than the Prestige Series, so there is no upside to spending 2× as much for the Prestige speakers.

Thanks for the replys gents.

SVS subs are nice... I have one. I had a HSU which was nice to but crapped the bed a few months after the warranty expired and they wanted me to buy a new amp. The SVS died 2 years after the warranty expired and they just sent me a new amp.

You might want to look at Wharfedale. Very under the radar speakers which are very solid.

SVS subs are nice... I have one. I had a HSU which was nice to but crapped the bed a few months after the warranty expired and they wanted me to buy a new amp. The SVS died 2 years after the warranty expired and they just sent me a new amp.

You might want to look at Wharfedale. Very under the radar speakers which are very solid.

Which SVS did you have? The 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 or one of the Ultra Series? Also, do you know what the difference is between the SVS-2000 and SVS-2000 Pro?

KEF
Klipsch
Definitive Technology

Cheers.
Dali make some really good speakers

Bought some KEF surround speakers (Q-150) and a Paradigm Defiance X12 subwoofer so far.

20210305_113136.jpg

They all sound great. The subwoofer is holyshitithinkthereisafuckingearthquake loud lol. My wife was not impressed. She said we couldn't have it in our house. After using it a bit, it's changed her mind. Next up is the dual matching subwoofer ;) After that L/C/R. Going with the Paradigm Premier speakers for that.

Went out and bought some mounting brackets for the KEF surround speakers today, and stared mounting them:

20210327_145613.jpg20210327_145625.jpg

Need to mount the last one on the other side, and run wire for the two side speakers.

Attachments

• 20210327_145625.jpg
    20210327_145625.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Speakers hung, and connected. After I finished that this morning, my son and I proceeded to watch Avengers: Infinity War. The sound was glorious.

20210328_154618.jpg

Paradigm Defiance X12 v.2

20210422_111518.jpg

20210422_111748.jpg

Got this beauty today and installed it. Test movie was Avengers: Age of Ultron. Holy Mother of god. It was like an awesome punch right to the chest. The way I could "feel" the bass from all directions. I never knew it could be like that. The movie going experience just got a whole lot more orgasmic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back