Squat Ankle Mobility

Poon Goon

Maverick
@Steel
Reaction score
About 15 years ago I broke the tib/fib on my left leg. A few years ago that ankle suddenly became swollen and I couldn't walk. I went to a clinic and x-rays showed that the hardware inside had broken and I was told it would have to be removed. It took several weeks for me to be seen by an orthopedist and by the time I went I was able to walk again. The ortho doctor told me I didn't need to have the broken hardware removed unless it started poking through my skin.

Over time I have had a few flare ups where it would swell and I would wear a walking boot for a few days. Two weeks ago I had a bad flare up and I ended up on crutches. I am walking again now and I have started squatting again after taking a week off. I also recently recorded my squats and saw that what I thought was hitting the right depth was actually really far off.

One issue appears to be the mobility of my left ankle. I found a test where you put your foot five inches from the wall and touch the wall with your knee while keeping your heel flat. Right leg no problem, left knee was about 4.5 inches away from the wall. I don't think that it is swollen at this point, it just seems to be permanently massive compared to my other ankle. Should I just harden up and keep torquing that fucker until it bends like I want it to? Any other suggestions?

About 15 years ago I broke the tib/fib on my left leg. A few years ago that ankle suddenly became swollen and I couldn't walk. I went to a clinic and x-rays showed that the hardware inside had broken and I was told it would have to be removed. It took several weeks for me to be seen by an orthopedist and by the time I went I was able to walk again. The ortho doctor told me I didn't need to have the broken hardware removed unless it started poking through my skin.

Over time I have had a few flare ups where it would swell and I would wear a walking boot for a few days. Two weeks ago I had a bad flare up and I ended up on crutches. I am walking again now and I have started squatting again after taking a week off. I also recently recorded my squats and saw that what I thought was hitting the right depth was actually really far off.

One issue appears to be the mobility of my left ankle. I found a test where you put your foot five inches from the wall and touch the wall with your knee while keeping your heel flat. Right leg no problem, left knee was about 4.5 inches away from the wall. I don't think that it is swollen at this point, it just seems to be permanently massive compared to my other ankle. Should I just harden up and keep torquing that fucker until it bends like I want it to? Any other suggestions?

I have the same issue in my right ankle. Never had any hardware put in but I've sprained it badly at least 4 or 5 times and have probably a lot of scar tissue and/or a bone fragment or two in there which impedes mobility. Two years ago I had <1" mobility from the wall in that ankle (but normal 7" in left ankle).

This is the best video I found on the topic and I recommend what this guy is doing.

marked:

Literally the day after I started doing these (with exercise band strongly pushing down my talus bone), I improved mobility to about 4 inches. I'm happy with the 5" I'm at now as that's enough to squat to depth (which I couldn't do before without super wide stance and/or flaring my right foot out).

Last edited:
I was hobbled for a year with Achilles pain that I thought was a heel spur. Turns out it was from forcing depth while squatting. I highly suggest mobility exercises instead of just jamming your ankle into the proper position under load. Youll likely just cause damage instead of increasing range of motion. Like yours, my problem was also unilateral.

I have the same issue in my right ankle. Never had any hardware put in but I've sprained it badly at least 4 or 5 times and have probably a lot of scar tissue and/or a bone fragment or two in there which impedes mobility. Two years ago I had <1" mobility from the wall in that ankle (but normal 7" in left ankle).

This is the best video I found on the topic and I recommend what this guy is doing.

marked:

Literally the day after I started doing these (with exercise band strongly pushing down my talus bone), I improved mobility to about 4.5 inches. I'm happy with the 5" I'm at now as that's enough to squat to depth (which I couldn't do before without super wide stance and/or flaring my right foot out).

agree

marked:

Literally the day after I started doing these (with exercise band strongly pushing down my talus bone), I improved mobility to about 4 inches. I'm happy with the 5" I'm at now as that's enough to squat to depth (which I couldn't do before without super wide stance and/or flaring my right foot out).

Thanks, this helped and I am going to continue doing it. I think that I am focusing on the ankle issue and it is causing other problems for me. I'm looking into getting a SSB or trap bar to switch things up until I can get the form in order.

Thanks, this helped and I am going to continue doing it. I think that I am focusing on the ankle issue and it is causing other problems for me. I'm looking into getting a SSB or trap bar to switch things up until I can get the form in order.

No problem. Improving my right ankle mobility was a game changer for me, and it had been dicking up my squat (particularly front squat) and DL form for a long time. First time I did the elastic band stretch, my ankle hurt for a day or two (probably broke up some scar tissue in pushing the talus bone back) but the mobility improvement was immediate and everything felt overall better a day or two later.

Last edited:
Get flat shoes, chucks or lifting shoes. I prefer chucks as they are a bit softer and still give you movement if you want to be functional. I guess chucks hi tops as well to support the ankle

I would get the hardware removed. Bone heals and grows, metal or ceramic does not. If your insurance is covering stuff find someone that can remove it within the week (find out ahead of time) and then next time it's broken go to them.
After that check out kneesovertoes guy on youtube he has great joint stuff, great exercises. Split lunge with weight, weight forward on front foot is great; hold it for the stretch and do lunge repetitions. Sissy squats, hand to toe stretch with weight, all great stuff you should do. Check him out.

I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago and seem to have lost all dorsiflexion. Thanks for this thread

great video, Eleiko
thanks for sharing
russian sportsmen really know how to prepare their body for lifting great weights

Back