Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody: Which is the ultimate rock masterpiece?

I'm sure I'll miss many great songs, but off the top of my head:
Metallica- One
Rolling Stones- Sympathy for the Devil
Black Sabbath with Ozzie- War Pigs
Black Sabbath with Dio- Heaven and Hell
Guns and Roses- Sweet Child of Mine
The Doors- Light my Fire
Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb
Scorpions- Winds of Change
The Who- Behind Blue Eyes
Eagles- Hotel California
Janis Joplin- Piece of my Heart
Jimi Hendrix- Along the Watchtower
ACDC- Back in Black

There are plenty more, but I can't do this all night. I'm at work lol. I only included one song per artist in the interest of saving time and I also think that both Led Zeppelin and Queen have other songs just as good as those two.

I'm going Stairway to Heaven, they're both overplayed as shit though.

The real answer would be 2112 though.

Stairway to heaven is in my top 3 rock songs. Bohemian isn't in my top 10.

I'm going Stairway to Heaven, they're both overplayed as shit though.

The real answer would be 2112 though.

Growing up in the UK in the 80's and 90's you barely ever heard Zep on the radio, my parents had LZ 2 on vinyl but I don't think I heard Stairway at all until I bought that Remasters CD.

Zep were actually quite a mysterious band from my perspective at that point.

Last edited:
It used to be Stairway to Heaven. The older I get. It swings the other way to Bohemian Rhapsody. Both are great.

This has been asked before

as I said in that thread

Bohemian Rhapsody is the better song. Led Zeppelin is the better band

Neither is the best, but both are great. If I had to choose one over the other, it's Stairway.

I like Stairway more.

I think there's other tunes that deserve mention here though, like Free Bird, Hotel Caliornia, ect.

They both have their place and their moments. Personally, id give it to Bohemian, although I love Stairway. Overall discography id give to Zep though. They are the greatest band eva imo.

Bo Rap will always be a masterpiece. I’d take Tom Sawyer or Victim Of Changes over STH, tho

I'm not a huge fan of either one but Bohemian Rhapsody is undeniably incredible. Stairway To Heaven is an overrated bore that puts me to sleep.

Personally, Rainbow's Stargazer is my pick.

I just love the melodies in Stairway to Heaven. I think it's the greatest rock and roll song ever recorded. But the story behind how Queen recorded the choir sounds with the limited tech of the day is really cool. Finally, Freddie pretty much came into the studio with Rhapsody ready to record while Jimmy Page ... let's just say he kinda borrowed the riffs and the entire intro. I like Stairway better, but Rhapsody is more iconic.

Bohemian could be considered a bit kitsch, but so could ultimately most everything from the 70's. It's still a great song, and - dare I say it - a masterpiece.

Stairway, while obviously iconic, is ultimately a dull generic song with a memorable guitar figure. One of the most overrated songs ever. As Led Zeppelin is one of the most overrated bands ever. Even Led Zeppelin fans couldn't name more than two of their songs.

Personally I felt Stairway wasnt actually the best track on LZ4....

I do think Zep quite handily beat Queen on weight of good material as well, really I think a very small amount of filler on the first 6-7 Zep albums. You can always turn up a classic that rarely gets played...

The two greatest hits albums are probably all most people need for Queen, maybe one or two of the earlier albums.

Because...

Mutiny on the Bounty's what we're all about.

Back