Started my own MMA gym, need help!

mcdonalds.jpg

What are you even talking about?

He is calling that dude's school a McDojo

Actually it was aimed at the "MMA Business Solutions" plug which is marketed towards potential McDojos.

I will vacate this thread for the most part. There's no reason why I should take flak over what someone else is doing. Enjoy your training.

He is calling that dude's school a McDojo

I got the reference, I just didn't know what he was trying to say with it. MMA Solutions sounds like a good idea to help new MMA/BJJ/TMA schools.

Only got to about page 20 this read, so i apologise if this has been said but.................. the whole topic interests me greatly so i will be following.

At a club I attended, they run a monthy fee, where you can train as much as you like in a month, or pay as you go, which is

Don't know if it's been suggested, but this might help a bit with details: "Starting and Running Your Own Martial Arts School" by Karen Levitz Vactor and Susan Lynn Peterson.

Hey, good job on the gym. I read a lot of the thread. I like it. If I were in the area I'd be down there! You haven't replied in a while, how are things going???

Wow, I just read this entire thread and just realized how old it was. I realize I'm about to sound like a jerk and I have never been involved with running a martial arts or MMA school, but I think this thread has been far too nice to the TS, and not realistic enough.

I don't believe this gym will last long-term, the main reason being that it sounds just as much like a hobby as a potentially profitable business. The owner obviously did not put a lot of thought into it before starting it. He said that "I decided to try my own "training facility", since I am not qualified to teach anything I envisioned a place where people could come and share knowledge and train." That sounds more like a club than a business.

Despite not being qualified to teach, the TS did not bother trying to line up an instructor(s) before opening. He could have accomplished building a "place where people could come and share knowledge and train" by inviting folks over to his garage.

Why would the average person (and it is average people who pay the bills) want to train someplace where there is no instructor? A revolving door of local BJJ practitioners doesn't promote any sense of stability.

I am also quite perplexed as to how this business does not have a website. When your pipes burst, you call a plumber. When your wiring goes bad, you call an electrician. And when you need a website and don't know how to do it, you call a web designer. The TS said he doesn't know anything about web design, but the same can probably be said for 99% of gym owners. There is no reason for not finding a teenager with some basic coding skills to put something together for $100. Even a blogspot blog would be better than nothing.

Another problem is that you are riped to be destroyed by competition, both existing and new. Military areas are prime places for MMA schools so don't be surprised to see a school open up near you. And there is a good chance someone with better credentials and business planning will be the one doing it and taking all your members.

BTW, this is a good listen for anyone involved with the business side of martial arts academies.

#75 The Business Side of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu; Black Belt Corner: Gumby : The FightWorks Podcast | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) Radio

Wow, I just read this entire thread and just realized how old it was. I realize I'm about to sound like a jerk and I have never been involved with running a martial arts or MMA school, but I think this thread has been far too nice to the TS, and not realistic enough.

I don't believe this gym will last long-term, the main reason being that it sounds just as much like a hobby as a potentially profitable business. The owner obviously did not put a lot of thought into it before starting it. He said that "I decided to try my own "training facility", since I am not qualified to teach anything I envisioned a place where people could come and share knowledge and train." That sounds more like a club than a business.

Despite not being qualified to teach, the TS did not bother trying to line up an instructor(s) before opening. He could have accomplished building a "place where people could come and share knowledge and train" by inviting folks over to his garage.

Why would the average person (and it is average people who pay the bills) want to train someplace where there is no instructor? A revolving door of local BJJ practitioners doesn't promote any sense of stability.

I am also quite perplexed as to how this business does not have a website. When your pipes burst, you call a plumber. When your wiring goes bad, you call an electrician. And when you need a website and don't know how to do it, you call a web designer. The TS said he doesn't know anything about web design, but the same can probably be said for 99% of gym owners. There is no reason for not finding a teenager with some basic coding skills to put something together for $100. Even a blogspot blog would be better than nothing.

Another problem is that you are riped to be destroyed by competition, both existing and new. Military areas are prime places for MMA schools so don't be surprised to see a school open up near you. And there is a good chance someone with better credentials and business planning will be the one doing it and taking all your members.

BTW, this is a good listen for anyone involved with the business side of martial arts academies.

#75 The Business Side of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu; Black Belt Corner: Gumby : The FightWorks Podcast | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) Radio

thought I didn't completely read the whole thread, I agree to the above statement

I plan on getting wall pads, but I am hesitant until I get more people in here. All the equipment cost like $8000, and I went ahead and paid off a year's rent which was $9600, so I don't wanna invest too much more until I get more people in.

Jesus move to Cairns, Australia i'd have you 20 guys instantly lol. But your porbably better off setting up a facebook or myspace page, and honestly word of mouth helps alot. It may also depend on how much your charging people to come use the facilities im no good with converting Aussie dollars to US but a even charging people $5 (Aus) is a decent way to start then once the word starts to get out there you can think about uping prices and what not.

Coincidentally, I have no formal training as a dentist, but I'm opening my own practice next month. I'm hoping some people who know about teeth will show up and business will just take care of itself if I buy a bunch of expensive dental equipment.

Coincidentally, I have no formal training as a dentist, but I'm opening my own practice next month. I'm hoping some people who know about teeth will show up and business will just take care of itself if I buy a bunch of expensive dental equipment.

ouch!

I'm not going to read 38 pages...where does this place stand today?

Man, I haven't seen this thread in a while!

Judging by the lack of updates, it prolly never got off the ground.

Back