*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
I understand what you're saying, that is the official definition of a sub attempt, I'm talking about how I look at the fight personally. If I take someone's back and am trying to choke them, nobody can tell me I'm not attempting a submission lol. Yeah it won't count as an official attempt as per whatever rules someone came up with that I dont care about, but that's not what I'm talking about.

The original argument was 'Aljo just held on and didn't even try to submit', and my response was yes he did. By YOUR logic, if you try to punch someone, and you keep missing, you're not trying to end the fight, because you're not hitting them.. Because they're defending...

That fact goes to the dominance argument. Sure, Aljo took his back, but did he dominate that round? No, he achieved a superior position and was unable to do or attempt anything substantial with it. That's because Yan was masterfully defending by hand fighting, not letting Aljo attempt any subs.

He wasn't able to get out of the body lock, sure, but I'm not saying Yan should have won the round or anything. I'm just saying that's no 10-8, that's not domination, that's just holding a position.

LOL it is a good video to watch and study the strikes like you suggested

You are just coping so hard

2-0

Look, I get it: you like the idea of this being a clear win for Aljo, so this vid where toe slaps, blocked middles and weak front kicks get scored with kung fu sounds is satisfying to you. Just don’t present it to as evidence of Aljo winning the round. It’s lazy.

Look, I get it: you like the idea of this being a clear win for Aljo, so this vid where toe slaps, blocked middles and weak front kicks get scored with kung fu sounds is satisfying to you. Just don’t present it to as evidence of Aljo winning the round. It’s lazy.

You can watch the video without sound.

It is evidence lol

Interesting post and a lot of points of discussion but I will keep it to just two which caught my eye:

1) I don’t agree that scenarios where scoring is ‘perfectly even’ are that rare. ‘Effective Striking’ is fuzzy because it requires interpretation of impact and when neither guy really hurt the other, we are left to tally nicks and scratches so to speak. This happens a lot in rounds where ‘nothing much happened’. It would be stupid to decide these uneventful rounds via what is essentially hair-splitting and this is exactly why there are backup criteria.

In a round like rd1 of Sterling/Yan 2, since no one was ever truly hurt, significant strike differential was not wide (6-4 imo) and you can argue that Yan laded the slightly better shots, the gap becomes too close to call …meaning ‘effective striking’ is essentially even.

2) I don’t think that winning the ‘aggression’ battle is simply about throwing and connecting more - it’s actually about who was landing the more damaging shots and looking to engage/finish the fight.

In rd1 of Sterling/Yan, that was clearly Yan. Sterling’s output was 90% weak, single shots follow by a retreat - Yan was throwing harder and always looking to follow up with more shots as Sterling ran away.
i would go as far to say that the only time sterling wasn't running, he was stalling the fight.
he tried nothing with 7 minutes of back control

Yan fans pre fight: He is going to be mauled, Yan by anything he wants
Post fight: BUT BUT he had more cage control!!!!

Yan fans in absolute hysterics in this thread

Back