Sting Titan Leather Gloves

Katriona1992

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bit of background: Sting is one of Australia's largest boxing brands. Their gloves can be purchased from every major sporting store (e.g. RebelSports and Paul's Warehouse) and the majority of amateur boxers I've come across are either rocking their higher-end products or Punch's Trophygetters Gloves.

As such, I have always been curious about how they actually perform. After a few months of borrowing the brand's top of the line (aka most expensive) gloves from my mates or the gym bin whenever I could, I am now here to report back how I felt about the Titan Leather Boxing Gloves. I have used them on the bags (heavy, double-ended and uppercut), on the mitts and in sparring.

Without further ado,

Official Stats
Price: $99
Sting's description:
•Premium leather hide outer has been chosen for it suppleness and has undergone special tanning processes to last longer and outperform standard leathers
•Hi Flow Core system is a method that provides a single piece of accurately weighted mould of consistent density that provides great impact absorption and memory return function for increased performance and protection
•Anatomically designed square shouldered mould design for perfect fit and performance
•Sportline 3D temperature and moisture management liner system increases your level of comfort while working out
•3inch (7.6cm) hook and loop wrist strap for a secure fit and added wrist protection

Aesthetics
These gloves come in black/white or red/white and the paint is well done on every pair I've come across so far. The brand logo is printed on the back of the glove and sewn on again as a shiny black plastic tag on the wrist.

All in all, the design is pretty simple. Not beautiful, not ugly- just basic.

Score: 3/5

Construction
Stitching is okay initially but I've noticed that they seem to fall apart quite quickly upon usage, especially around the side where the pinky is. By quickly, I mean I have seen people dump these into the gym bin less than half a year after they've bought them with strings of white padding oozing out from parts that was once sewn over.

Meanwhile, the outer material itself is thick and it most definately is genuine leather from the feel and smell of the gloves. However, the leather is hard as and I've personally cracked the leather (there were noticable white lines where the leather had broken) when unleashing hooks on the heavy bag. This could be an issue of maintenance of course, but I don't particularly take care of my Top Kings/Pro Mexs either, and have yet to see such a problem occur on them. This is definately disappointing for the Stings since the pair I was using when the accident occured was barely a year old.

The inner lining does its job of seperating the foam from the user's hands. It is sweat resistent (the sweat kinda trickles down your arm) and dries quickly after a lesson. However, the lining is not soft or comfortable. While it is definately smooth enough to put your hand in and the material doesn't get all bunched up inside, it feels like you've slipped your hand into a plastic shopping bag. It can also get really hot inside the hand compartment too.

Score: 2/5

Actual usage
Padwork/double end bag- the majority of the padding on these gloves are concentrated on the knuckle area. For lack of better description, it is very "top heavy" and the padding is not evenly distributed at all throughout the glove. As such, it feels like you are punching with little mini hand weights when you are doing padwork or double end. Its not damaging to your health in any means, but having something that weighs just your hand down (rather than your whole arm like a heavier glove would) does take some getting use to.

Heavy/uppercut bags- there is pratically no padding around the wrist on these gloves and the velcro is longlasting but flimsy. As such, hitting at full speed and power may cause you wrist pain even if you wrap your hand comfortably. No knuckle pain though since padding is sufficient there.

Sparring- it works alright here. The gloves are not very big in profile (since the wrist area is so short) and, while they are rather thick, aren't very long and you cannot rely solely on them for defence.

The padding is soft enough to protect your partner if you decide to ampt up the intensity too.

Score: 2.5/5

Durability
As mentioned in the 'construction' area, these gloves are not very long lasting on its outer layers. Unfortunately, this is also true for its padding. While it is quite soft at first, the padding tends to clump together and lumps form as fast as within three to four months of using them. The leather, being hard and rigid in shape, does not conform to the changing shape of the foam either, causing mini 'air pockets' to form where the foam once was while there are also obvious buldges where the lumps currently are.

Score: 1/5

Overall verdict
You could get a pair of Twins, which are around $70, shipped to your home via the cheapest mailing service from Thailand for $30. Or you could go on MMAHQ where shipping for gloves is also around the $30 mark and where decent brands like Throwdown/Reevo/Punchtown often holds sales.

Nonetheless, while Sting's titan leather gloves can perform on a very basic level, they are definately not worth the $100 in your wallet. Maybe $50. But definately nothing more than $75.

Overall score: 2.125/5

Last edited:
Great review as always.

I can't emphasise how much I HATE Sting gear. Its absolute garbage IMO.

It's even worse than entry level Everlast gear as far as I'm concerned, and I feel sorry for anyone who wastes $100 on them because they assume they are a good product because they are available at their local sporting store.

photos!

good review. How is Punch Fight Gear another Aus brand? Just saw Lombard using their fight gloves and checked their website, really expensive

Great review as always.

I can't emphasise how much I HATE Sting gear. Its absolute garbage IMO.

It's even worse than entry level Everlast gear as far as I'm concerned, and I feel sorry for anyone who wastes $100 on them because they assume they are a good product because they are available at their local sporting store.

Damn! that is harsh but funny! :)

Damn! that is harsh but funny! :)[/boug] I also bought sting boxing gloves and they were horrible. Lasted about a year, very hard and uncomfortable to wear. They finally softened up and then they split near the thumb. Worst purchase ever. Sent the gloves into sting and they are taking forever to get back to me. I'll never buy them again. I have twins which are sting going after about 20 years. Dunno how sting got their gloves into the Olympics. Poor quality. All round crap!

Biggest load of crap Sting. For a little over 100 bucks there's so many options out there. Unfortunately their all overseas and we in OZ just have to wait for sales to make it worth while.

Back