Stipe is actually a bad matchup for Jones

Reach has helped Jones a lot, but only because he has a foot over his opponents - if the reach is close, as w/ Gus, it’s a different ball game. Stipe does not have the same reach but it is close, same with the height which helps reach. More than the striking tho it is Jones wrestling which enables him to control clinches and man handle his opponents. Cornier had the wrestling but joy the reach. OSP has the size but not the wrestling. Gus has the anti-wrestling and reach, as did Reyes, and both arguably won. I don’t think anyone would contend that either of those can hold a candle to Stipe. It’s really going to depend how old Stipe got and how juiced Jon is. Pulsing Jon is a different animal.

It has been a big strategy for him in the past, so why not now after years off to even further refine his skill?
I wouldn’t be surprised if Stipe threw a pre-emptive eyepoke. He got poked in all 3 fights by DC. And when Stipe got the last best eyepoke I was so happy. I’m not saying Stipe did it on purpose but he might have. And he can certainly poke Jones too.

If it was me I’d poke Jones in the first minute.

So crazy that this fight is happening. Jones said he was moving up when Stipe beat DC for the third time. When Ngannou became the champ, he was suddenly "show me the money". "15 million or no fight".

Now that the original fight with Stipe came back (who is now 40 years old), Jones is suddenly happy to fight again. And the money thing? Nah. He doesn't want that much money anymore. He fights because of his love for the sport now!!

Nailed it.

And still will probably fail the drug tests <Dany07>

Literally every fighter Jones has faced was going to destroy him and he was afraid of them.

And EVERY single one of them becomes washed up after he defeats them
Going all the way back to Shogun being full on in his prime for Jones.. This was going into the fight..
After the fight Shogun was fat, with a bad knee and way past his prime..

I think the real question is how the size change is going to affect Jones. He's already show that he can beat superior wrestlers. Of course Jones doesn't seem to be what he used to be and that is definitely age and probably USADA.

Jones cannot outstrike Stipe. And even with the weight gain and lifting weights, the odds of him bullying Stipe in the clinch, and outgrappling Stipe in general, are not good. His best bet is clearly Stipe a shot fighter(which is possible).

Combine Stipe's chin being damaged with Jones weight gain and I def think Jones can hurt Stipe..

Jones is most likely gonna stomp him and it'll be hilarious seeing some of you pussys immediately back peddle on Stipe and say he's completely washed now. I've said it over and over and I'll say it again the denial of how good Jon Jones is on here makes around half of y'all just look like complete baby's with full diapers.
He is washed but Jones would beat any version of Stipe.

Stipe's biggest liabilities are his age and mileage. This fight really should've happened 5 years ago. Pulsing Jones vs Stipe who was ko'ing all the top hw's. Oh, well.

Exactly. He’s 39 and will be 40 when they fight. He’s also coming off a loss and has tons of mileage. Beating him now wouldn’t mean nearly as much as it would have just a few years ago. But Jones might actually be fighting clean this time, so it might be competitive.

You all are crazy. I can’t stand Jones, but he’s going to handle Stipe with little problem. I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m wrong. In fact, I’ll be the happiest guy on the planet if I’m wrong. Jones is too versatile and has very good defense. Stipe will not outland him on the feet, mark my words.

You’re talking about a roided Jones though. If he’s fighting clean he’s nowhere near as dangerous.

Don't know how Stipe will handle the leg kicks or wrestling. Sure Jones chin could be tested, but Jones will probably have better cardio. Also they are both basically similar sized, Stipe is a smaller HW. Also you guys aren't mentioning how Stipe has turned into less of a KO artist and more for points and attrition. I think Jones is better and younger in all areas besides power and his chin is better than people give him credit for.

I am not sure how JJ will do with the lay off and the HW division size difference. Only till we see, but, I think JJ could do well vs Stipe.

People tend to overlook the fact of just how afraid Jones is of being KOed. He won't fight like he did with Gus during the first fight. He will run away, use all sorts of knee kicks and anything he has to avoid being hit by heavyweights. Will be similar to the Rampage fight. Dudes not going to engage like Cormier. Jones lives with a lot of fear.

This is true. Jon Jones definitely fights scared against powerful punchers, just as he (Jones) fought scared against Santos.

It’s just hilarious that the UFC basically cast out both of these guys. Not giving Jon any fight or money he wants. Not giving Stipe his rematch he’s been asking for.

but now that Francis has boned them, Dana wants to bring them back for a super interim fight or some shit, it’s amazing

Bigger, good wrestler, better boxing, knockout power. Jones has trouble with taller guys.

Only times I have seen Stipe lose is when he gets KO'ed and Jon just doesn't have them hands or power.
I think Jones will come in bigger than Stipe. Would not be shocked if he was a touch taller too. Idk.
Jones has speed and what I think is a wrestling advantage. How he fairs against stronger HW compared to LHW.. we will have to wait and see

Stipe 5 years ago may be. He’s 40 and slow and has a much shorter reach. There is no way Stipe wins this.

jone;'s speed will be a problem. Though it doesn't seem like he is taking the right route cause he s trying to put on mass and stuff. That will severly slow him down so i can see stipe taking it.

Stipe 5 years ago may be. He’s 40 and slow and has a much shorter reach. There is no way Stipe wins this.
Its crazy how Stipe ages, but Jon stays in his prime. Jones should sell that stuff

stipe got slept, he's damaged goods

Its crazy how Stipe ages, but Jon stays in his prime. Jones should sell that stuff

Stipe has looked old and slow past couple fights. You age a lot faster as an athlete past 35.

Back