Strickland could really benefit from a new gym and trainer

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Imagine if he went to for example Cordeiro. He could really level up his striking with him. Improve his skills and give him new tools. His muay thai would get much better. Feel like he doesn’t learn much at his own gym anymore.

Last edited:
how is his coaching structure laid out?

every training video I've seen of him at his gym it's always him running the training

how is his coaching structure laid out?

every training video I've seen of him at his gym it's always him running the training
That's the vibe im getting too. Really can't be the best way to improve as a fighter.

Muay thai hahahaha Strickland doesn't even throw kicks

He's the best striker in the middleweight division. What more do you want? Could you imagine what he would do to Whittaker

It’s no secret that Chris Curtis and Strickland pretty much just fight in sparring and I think it’s paid off as far as his performances are concerned. He’s always calm and collected and I think with him sitting down on his shots a bit more after training with Poatan it can only be beneficial

As far as I'm concerned, Strickland has the best coach in the game right now in Eric Nicksick and everything he needs in Xtreme Couture. His main issue is his style. I like it and he can break most fighters but his defense isn't that great and he will probably fail against the elite strikers. But then again, if there is one camp that can find a way to turn his style around against elite strikers, it's Xtreme Couture.

I think Strickland, while in his prime, is at a stage in his career where it's unlikely he'll add anything more than tweak here and there to his game.

He actually has great parrying ability. But great kickboxers, or anyone who has the cardio/mental fortitude to attack his lead leg, teep the body, and move for a few rounds will give him trouble.

The purist in me wants to see him fight Whittaker in a title elimination bout, but I understand giving him a title shot as well--given the dearth of fresh middleweight contenders.

Yeah, if he switched it up he could become one of top 3-5 middleweights in the world...

I don't think Strickland will benefit from revamping his whole skillset. He is what he is at this point of his career. He has over 30 plus fights and switched/visited different gyms around 5-6 times. Fighters don't always find success when they keep trying to revamp their style. You can look at Vettori and his fighting style changes as proof.

I think Strickland might be due for a title eliminator but not a title shot. Cannonier also looked good in his last performance. Both men aren't really next up for the title shot though and they already fought.

He's the best striker in the middleweight division. What more do you want? Could you imagine what he would do to Whittaker
You think Strickland is a better striker than Israel Adesanya?

Not sure I agree. He has had impressive results with his current gym:
View attachment 989353

The two ranked, name brand fighters on that list are the ones that beat him.

He just beat an un-ranked guy in his second ever UFC fight. Fight exhibition talent, get exhibition results.

If he wants to BEAT guys like Poatan and Cannonier, he has to level up. That is the same for guys like Whittaker and Izzy of course.

He's basically solidified himself as the #4 MW(w/ Alex moving up) behind Cannonier, Rob, & Izzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back