Stupid/overused sayings in mma

These days I hear a lot of "crotch sniffer" comments any time someone uses grappling. I have also hated the expression "lay n pray". Learn to fucking wrestle.

“He may have Secured the round with that last takedown”.

I roll my eyes everytime. Takedown without offense is meaningless in a fight and should be viewed and scored as such.
Well that's just stupid. A takedown isn't meaningless. You don't want to be on ur back

Sherdog specific:

That being said
You heard it here first
Feed fighter x to fighter y

I can add "Captain Obvious fight predictions" to the list of stupid sayings:

If it goes to the ground (insert name of fighter being predominantly a grappler) will win, if (insert fighter who is predominantly a striker) keeps it on the feet he/she will win.

I mean how often do we see a grappler knock out a striker, and a striker dominate a grappler on the ground? Nowadays? Quite often, I would say.

Good night Irene is not a Roganism... Give Michael Schiavello his due..
“Taking more shots to the face than Jenna Jameson”
“Mainus is taking a pounding”
“Mainus is bleeding”
“Mainus is hurting”

Well that's just stupid. A takedown isn't meaningless. You don't want to be on ur back
It’s not stupid at all. If you literally just take someone down without putting them in danger of strikes or submissions and you just land in guard or a neutral position holding onto their legs while their backs against the fence as they struggle to stand and you struggle to pull them down it doesn’t seem logical that it gives you points in a fight. It is a fight not a wrestling match and you should be awarded credit for hurting your opponent or putting them in fight ending (or altering) situations.

If Oliveira is taken down by Arman in the last 30 seconds of the round and blanketing him until the buzzer it shouldn’t be viewed as anything and the round should be judged on what transpired in the first 4:30 of said round imo.

Ha ha good thread.

Though some of these really are true sayings that people are getting annoyed for some reason.

It’s not stupid at all. If you literally just take someone down without putting them in danger of strikes or submissions and you just land in guard or a neutral position holding onto their legs while their backs against the fence as they struggle to stand and you struggle to pull them down it doesn’t seem logical that it gives you points in a fight. It is a fight not a wrestling match and you should be awarded credit for hurting your opponent or putting them in fight ending (or altering) situations.

If Oliveira is taken down by Arman in the last 30 seconds of the round and blanketing him until the buzzer it shouldn’t be viewed as anything and the round should be judged on what transpired in the first 4:30 of said round imo.
it's still control though and the onus is on you to do something about it. if another man can take you down and hold you down, to where you can't do nothing, then you got to do something.

"Fluke" or "he just got lucky" or "he loses 9/10 times" or any variation thereof.

Fluke is probably the worst. A technique executed with intent succeeding and leading to one's opponent being rendered incapable of defending themselves is not a fluke... it is the point of fighting. The fact that it is a low-percentage outcome is irrelevant.

Back