SUMO - 2019 Kyushu Basho (Nov. 10 - Nov. 24)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
KriXEYG.png

Time for the final sumo tournament of 2019. Japan has just had the high of a hosting a successful Rugby World Cup, but also had to deal with a deadly typhoon. It’s been an odd year for sumo, with the top dogs struggling with injuries we’ve seen a few first and second-time yusho winners and a lot of lower ranked guys making big moves. The Yokozuna have one tournament win each in 2019 and they’ll probably both be looking to end the year on a high note. Let’s take a look at the banzuke rankings:

Wv2UHa9.png

Debuting Wrestler: The commentator’s nightmare Wakatakakage is finally making his debut in the top division. He’s been in Juryo for a year and a half slowly working his way up the rankings. He broke into the second division pretty quickly but I think his slow development through the division should be helpful, and hopefully he’s able to start off a similar career in the top division with a winning record here. He’s a University junior of yusho-winner Mitakeumi, so hopefully his senior’s success will inspire him.

Mr. Popularity Rides Again: All the ladies want him, all the men want to be him… Enho is coming off some good tournaments and subsequently has moved pretty far up in the ranks. Finding himself at M6 he’ll probably be matching up with the top Maegashira guys and maybe a lower Sanyaku or two this tournament. As always he should be a joy to watch, and win or lose he’ll be the guy to keep an eye on this tournament.

Komosubi Debut: Breaking into the Sanyaku ranks for the first time, Trump Cup winner Asanoyama is having a pretty great breakout year and will be looking to show he belongs with the big dogs. Fortunately he’s been competing against the big names pretty frequently in the last year, so he should bring some confidence into his matches.

End on a High Note? Former Ozeki Tochinoshin is once again fighting to regain his rank. He dropped out of Ozeki and regained his rank earlier in the year, but it wasn’t easy and he’ll have to push through his injuries to pick up another 10-win tournament. It would be great to see Tochinoshin do the impossible and regain his rank, but it feels like even if he could end the year on a high he’d still be in a difficult position. There’s no rest for the weary.

Defending Champion: Coming off a nice 12-3 Yusho-winning tournament, Mitakeumi will be looking to repeat his victory and also to build on a good start to a run for Ozeki promotion. He’s been solid as a Sekiwake, but struggled to string together the impressive tournaments he would need for the promotion.

Same Old Ozeki Story: I feel like a broken record, but Goeido and Takayasu could really use some good performances to end the year. Takayasu sat out the last tournament and will need a winning record to keep his rank. 8 wins isn’t really enough though, and being in the Yusho race would be great. Goeido is coming off a 10-5 tournament which is pretty good at this point, but he can and should do better. Takakeisho is the great hope at the rank, and put in a great performance in his return tournament in September, winning back his rank. He picked up a worrying injury on the final day, however, and his first match should say a lot about how much it's affected him.

Going the Distance? Both Yokozuna have looked pretty good when they’ve been able to go the full 15 days, but they’ve sat out or withdrawn often this year, including in September. Hakuho is a desperately proud man, and he’ll feel he has a lot to prove after withdrawing on the second day of the last tournament. Kakuryu is a tough guy to predict as he can look really good somedays, but then when his injuries and pressure get to him he can struggle. Pressure is exactly what both Yokozuna will be feeling throughout this tournament and, injuries aside, whoever can handle the pressure best will stand a good chance of winning the tournament.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go!

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division, and check out Grand Sumo Awesome for English versions of the NHK digest episodes (although I don't think they include all of the top division matches). Or go straight to the source, on NHK World's Sumo website. There's also a great blog at tachiai.org with news and information.

For a slightly more updated and longer viewing guide, I'll include a post I made in the January thread with more options:
because it's taking place in Japan, it's not too convenient to watch live from the US (top division matches will start at like 2AM EST), but here are the options for watching the sport live:

NHK, the channel that broadcasts sumo in japan, has a global version NHK World which should be streaming at least the opening day on their website, maybe here: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/sumolive/

Mbovo on twitch broadcasts live every day of the tournament here:

japanese streaming site Abema TV streams sumo live every day (starting with the lowest ranks really early in the day, all the way up to the top division) here: https://abema.tv/channels/world-sports/slots/8W8CNEEd69AjxT
Abema TV's stream isn't the same as the NHK broadcast, and they have their own commentators and graphics, and it's all in japanese.

---------------------------------

options for watching later:

Kintamayama on youtube uploads highlights from the top division, which will probably get posted in this thread every day.

Grand Sumo Awesome on youtube uploads the NHK highlights of each day's top division matches with english commentary. they don't include every top division match, but the English commentary is very useful.

it's pretty easy to find the day's matches on youtube these days, and there are a lot of choices.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although probably outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

3220.jpg
(as usual I'll just @ everyone that has posted in recent sumo threads)
@babycart @EL CORINTHIAN @shincheckin @rmongler @JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy @Edison Carasio @ChainFlow @Oshime2 @DatCutman @catchwrestle @rodgerdodger @cw1234 @Sapp @Apollo33 @MoreKane @BoxingMMA @dkjt @-guerilla- @ChickenBrother @INTERL0PER @what-wut @Adjaar

Last edited:
Tachiai.org podcast:

Jason's tournament preview:

NHK tournament preview (poor quality, watch on NHK World website HERE):

Seems like Takayasu is still injured?

Seems like Takayasu is still injured?
yeah, think so.

forgot to mention the one guy who can rival Enho for entertaining matches, Ura, is returning way down in Jonidan.

Was it Enho vs Shohozan last tourney that ended up being an epic match? Probably the one for the tourney. I am also a big fan of Ishiura, the guy looks like Enho on steroids and loves to henka, what is not to love? It’s awesome.

Thanks for your post, I can’t wait, even made a couple of bets that I know wont pay off but I bet on Asanoyama to beat Kakuryu and Hokotofuji to beat Hakuho. Doubt it’ll happen but it’ll make opening day more interesting.

As for who I think will win this Basho? I’ll let this picture of me with my family answer that.

Attachments

• 6FE5FCC2-1586-45C2-93D4-57D5AE11DB5C.jpeg
    6FE5FCC2-1586-45C2-93D4-57D5AE11DB5C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Was it Enho vs Shohozan last tourney that ended up being an epic match? Probably the one for the tourney.
that was a great match. Enho got stuck in an awkward position but fought back well.

day 1 Mbovo (NHK broadcast, English commentary starts around 30 minutes in):

Kintamayama:

Natto:

Last edited:
good day 1. too bad enho and tochinoshin picked up early losses. shame kakuryu had to sit out and that goeido picked up an injury that forced him to withdraw too.

good stuff from new guy wakatakakage and yutakayama in the lower ranks. endo and mitakeumi did well and it was great to see takayasu and takakeisho look excellent in their matches and not to show any sign of injuries. and hakuho starting off the tournament with a dominating win too.

Ura won his return bout and Hoshoryu won his Juryo debut by uchigake.

A lot of cool stuff in the lower ranks

Ura won his return bout and Hoshoryu won his Juryo debut by uchigake.

A lot of cool stuff in the lower ranks

glad to see terunofuji won on day 1 too.

here's a Juryo recap for day 1:

mbovo full broadcast:

kintamayama day 2:

natto:

didn't see any juryo highlight videos yet, but here's hoshoryu vs. gagamaru:

Seems like Aoiyama loses every time I watch him, yet he never goes down to Juryo. I think they keep his rank up on purpose as an elaborate joke.

Seems like Aoiyama loses every time I watch him, yet he never goes down to Juryo. I think they keep his rank up on purpose as an elaborate joke.
He's one of those guys that just narrowly gets kachikoshi enough times to avoid any dramatic changes in his rank. Every once in awhile he has a tournament like he did in March that shoots him up into the Sekiwake/Komusubi range. It's actually kind of surprising but since his last Juryo basho in January 2018, he actually has 6 kachikoshi in 10 tournaments

another video by Chris Gould with interesting insight into the injury problems in sumo:

Honestly I think Chris is way off with Hakuho, he may not be at his top but his loss wasn't due to his body begging for him to stop, he simply didn't expect to run out of real estate and went out with the push. His mind may not be in it but his body seems fine.

I see a lot of people criticize Abi for having one dimensional sumo with his strikes. This is only the second Basho that I've watched and I'm curious of the input from people who are more involved. Because Abi relies on a single attack, is it fair to say that he is one of/the best striker in sumo? Or is his sumo just lackluster but good enough to keep him higher in the makuuchi?

I hope its the former, because then its actually very cool

Oh sweet baby jesus that Tomokaze knee injury. They showed a close up as he was being wheeled out and his kneecap was on the SIDE of his knee.

<6>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back