SUMO - 2021 Nagoya Basho (July 4th - July 18th)

just for fun, here's Terunofuji's tsuna being made and him practicing his dohyo-iri with his stablemaster:

Just got done watching the January Basho, and on the final day when Asanoyama pushed Shodai into the Gyoji and Shodai just looked at the Gyoji with disgust for a good 5 seconds, i couldn't help but laugh.

Must suck to be Shodai.

Watched all the bashos from this year and i'm ready for the September Basho! Watching older Bashos in preperation.

Rankings comes out on the 30th (i think) so it should be interesting to see who places where.

I'm quite interested to see how Hokuseiho does now he'll be in Juryo. He's just too tall and well balanced for guys in Makushita but there's some chonks in Juryo that should make things quite spicy. I don't think it will be too long before Atamifuji and Ishizaki move to Juryo too... next year looks to be quite interesting with these 3 and Abi possibly all being in the lower end of the Maegashira ranks.

Oh and i hope someone brutally slaps Takagenji into the afterlife for what he did to Enho, that was way too far.

What a horrible year for Asanoyama...

- Breaks covid protocol
- Gets 1 year suspension
- Hands in retirement notice
- JSA president holds on to it to use in the future
- Asanoyama's father passes away aged 64

Well here's this

yeah, i commented on the youtube video as well, but i'll just add over here that i feel like Takatoriki is basically just lashing out to try to get attention and i don't put a lot of faith in the more outlandish claims he makes. sucks to hear that Kasuganishiki may have passed away though.

Oh and i hope someone brutally slaps Takagenji into the afterlife for what he did to Enho, that was way too far.
yeah, hopefully he'll head over to MMA to join his brother and get dominated by someone.

feel like the top of the banzuke is where a lot of fun stuff is happening this time. Terunofuji as new yokozuna is awesome obviously, but Meisei back at sekiwake is cool, Ichinojo back in sanyaku is nice, and Hoshoryu at M1 will be intriguing for sure.

Yeah i imagine Terunofuji gets the Yusho this time, but just below him it's looking really spicy! Ichinojo (i love the guy) could blow everyone away like he did in the Haru 2019 Basho, or he could be completely underwhelming as is sometimes the case. The guy can beat and lose to anyone, literally impossible to predict. Hoshoryu at M1 should be quite interesting and though i hope he does well i think realistically he should just be aiming for 8-7, though with guys above him absent he could take advantage. Hopefully Wakatakakage can bounce back this Basho though the comp around him is very tough. Kotonowaka at M3 should just be aiming for 8-7 like Hoshoryu i think but again the comp is extremely tough this time around. I expect Tamawashi to probably get Makekoshi this time, he's getting older and he can't seem to capitalize after getting double digits wins in a Basho. Daieisho has struggled to replicate the form that saw him win the Hatsu Basho earlier this year and i don't think he'll have much luck with the guys around him. Let's go URA at M6!

Also just two notes for the bottom of Makuuchi. After Yutakayama's big floppy flop in Juryo last Basho where he went 9-1 and then lost 4 of his last 5, i expect him to get Makekoshi this time, though maybe he'll surprise me. I really wish Mitoryu would have made the cut to Makuuchi... he looked phenomenal last Basho only losing to Akua nearly slapping him unconscious and 2 henkas if memory serves me. He bullied everyone else, but if he does the same this Basho he could be looking at M12/13 for the Kyushu Basho.

Juryo is also very top heavy this time with Mitoryu, Abi, Kaisho, Oho all looking solid last Basho, and Hakuyozan looked good until he got injured unfortunately, and obviously Hakuho's prodigy Hokuseiho is at the bottom of Juryo so that should be tasty indeed.

Also looking forward to Atamifuji and Ishizaki moving up through Makushita, and seeing how Osanai does at Sandanme this Basho after how easy he made it look last Basho.

Didn't intend to write all that but it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back