SUMO - 2023 Aki Basho (Sept 10th - Sept 24th)

I’ve been enjoying all the Makuuichi matches.
Question…what is it that the winner is handed on the paddle? Looks like envelopes?

Thanks.

I’ve been enjoying all the Makuuichi matches.
Question…what is it that the winner is handed on the paddle? Looks like envelopes?

Thanks.
they each contain prize money, a part of which are sponsorships. when you see those guys running the banners around the ring, that's paid promotion, and the money goes in part to the wrestlers. that's why you have some guys getting an envelope or two, while others getting a massive stack. it's a pretty interesting system, in the envelopes there's only half the money, the other half goes directly to their retirement fund. measure was probably decided when the sumotori just drank their money away and retired with nothing.

well that Kotonowaka win is bogus. there should at the very least have been a rematch.
hoshoryu's face says it all.
that said, never leave it in the hands of the judges.

they each contain prize money, a part of which are sponsorships. when you see those guys running the banners around the ring, that's paid promotion, and the money goes in part to the wrestlers. that's why you have some guys getting an envelope or two, while others getting a massive stack. it's a pretty interesting system, in the envelopes there's only half the money, the other half goes directly to their retirement fund. measure was probably decided when the sumotori just drank their money away and retired with nothing.

Thanks. So, it's like an Italian wedding!

I want to see Dana just handing over stacks of win money after every bout..

Thanks. So, it's like an Italian wedding!

I want to see Dana just handing over stacks of win money after every bout..
jeque-cash-money.gif

LMAO at tree trying to push Chiyo. Dude just looked like he never tried that technique in his life.

Atamifuji is really something. Would be interesting if he wins this Yusho. I still think Takayasu collapses soon.

Daieisho FINALLY showing some spirit out there. Where the hell was this the last 8 days?

Takakeisho just SON’D Gonoyama.

Takakeisho getting another chance after clearly losing, while hoshoryu not getting one yesterday is just bunk.

I think Takayasu heard people starting to support him again and decided to make sure it doesn't continue

Takakeisho vs Ura I don't understand this at all.
I think, and I have to read the book again, but if it’s a case where the guy is flying out like Ura was and you fall down first, like Taka did, and it’s reasonably close, which I guess it was, they redo.

That or they hate Hoshoryu.

@Fork any explanation?

I think, and I have to read the book again, but if it’s a case where the guy is flying out like Ura was and you fall down first, like Taka did, and it’s reasonably close, which I guess it was, they redo.

That or they hate Hoshoryu.

@Fork any explanation?
it's that stupid "dead body" rule, which is so interpretable it's hardly even a rule. Ura was supposedly so out of the ring that he was practically a "dead body", so they say.

Midorifuji was masterful today. even the people around him were shocked. This kind of fast-thinking resourceful sumo is impressive to see.
Atamifuji Yusho?

Back