'"Super fights" are a cancer to the sport

mister piscadinha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Sure, some great moments came from it, but overall all they do is derail both weight classes.
if you're a champion that wants to move up, vacate your title and move up the ladder like everybody else.
now, i know this will not happen, but it's free and nice to dream with a fight promotion that put's fairness and tradition above corporate greed.

Simultaneous champion was just Conor wanting to be the 'first' at doing something, it was pretty stupid in hindsight as he didn't defend either title.
I get why they do it though, fighters don't want to vacate their own titles if they lose at a higher weight (look at Israel).

It's sad that the talent pool is so shallow, that's pretty much all they have to offer.

Superfights are probably more valid in the lower weight classes than in the higher ones, unless you're like DC whose performance is independant of his appearance for some reason.

It's because the gap between let's say...145 & 135 is lower percentage wise compared to 205 & 185, but heck, every lb probably matters equally to all fighters that try hard to cut that last bit of water weight to make their fight weight limit.

But still though, it's a trend that fighters who fought at FW, BW, and even Flyweight can weigh all the way up to 160 (or even 170 possibly) when not training.

It's easier for fighters in the lower weight classes to move up or down in weight without weight difference concerns being brought up.

Super fights are okay because they bring eyes to the sport from Boxing and other sports fans who are usually not watching every single UFC PPV.

Even casual fans who see the marketing on the news or tv commercials.

However, the way they go about it is definitely flawed.

Fighters don't defend belts or clean out their divisions anymore.

They win a belt, maybe get one defense and already want to move up and challenge another division. This holds up two divisions and ruins it for fans and fighters alike.

There should be a rule, that in order to move up and challenge another champion -> you have to clean out your division or have at least 4-5 title defenses.

Something in order to EARN a superfight.

Are they though?? Really??

How many “super fights” have actually occurred??

How often have they occurred???

Like what once every 2/3 years?

It’s not that serious. You’re overreacting

bad things aren't bad only when they happen every day

The trouble is if they win and can hold up 2 divisions. DC kinda fucked shit up and Nunes has a belt in a non-existent division which makes it kinda okay. Triple C abandoned Flyweight so that is okay too. And uh, Conor regardless of what he did is a goof.

Long reigning Champions fighting would be super cool. But those aren't the super fights we have had or will get. Would have watched GSP vs Silva for sure.

Are they though?? Really??

How many “super fights” have actually occurred??

How often have they occurred???

Like what once every 2/3 years?

It’s not that serious. You’re overreacting

Yea this is how I see it. The purpose of the sport is the fights. Belts provide a nice narrative context for the fights — but it’s still the fights that matter. Nothing needs to be “held up” because the promoter puts together a great fight.

Let’s say Oliveira fought Usman right now and around the same time Leon fought Chimaev and Islam fought Dariush. In what sense is anything being “held up?” We’d be getting three great fights.

The trouble is if they win and can hold up 2 divisions. DC kinda fucked shit up and Nunes has a belt in a non-existent division which makes it kinda okay. Triple C abandoned Flyweight so that is okay too. And uh, Conor regardless of what he did is a goof.

Long reigning Champions fighting would be super cool. But those aren't the super fights we have had or will get. Would have watched GSP vs Silva for sure.

I just don’t see it as a problem. Nothing stops everyone else in the division from fighting.

I just don’t see it as a problem. Nothing stops everyone else in the division from fighting.
I feel like the belts used to be on the line way more frequently and it's only the past few years that champs don't defend singular divisions regularly. Might just be me remembering wrong but I like the next contender up thing. Not just the top 5 to 10 eliminating themselves before they get a chance at the belt and make the divisions look stupid when one of them with a loss or two in the past couple of fights gets the shot.

nope.

Conor was the first (Since Dana did not allow Aldo to do it). Then we got DC, Amanda and Izzy.
gsp/penn happened years before that. also had pettis booked against aldo but pettis got injured. that said, you’re also forgetting cejudo/dillashaw, and hendo’s two Pride belt unification fights at 185 and 205.

penn also had half-claim to the lightweight throne when the division was scrapped and he jumped to 170 and beat hughes.

Back