Superbowl...explain to non Americans

American football is so popular here that everyone knows someone who's into it.

So if your spouse, brother, son, friends are all taking about it and they're all going to a Superbowl party, you feel left out of you don't go.

Once you're there, it's easy to find something to enjoy. Companies have a tradition of saving their funniest commercials for the Superbowl. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say the commercials were better than the game.

Plus the halftime show is always a big spectacle.

And if nothing else, you get to hang out, and eat and drink with friends, and it's fun to hear everyone yell and jump up when a big play happens. You don't always see that kind of excitement at a normal party.

And you can bet everyone at work will be talking about it the next day too.

TL DR: you'll feel left out if you don't watch.

Funiest thing is that they talk about absolutly everything up to game but game it self this year will taylor make it

Taylors's plane just landed safely in Los Angeles so I'm happy to say she made it back in plenty of time to enjoy the game tomorrow, I am so relieved but also excited for her

I feel like you need to have grown up in that culture to enjoy it. I tried several times watching it but its not for me. Too many breaks and very little action. NBA is bad enough with the breaks NFL is worse. But i think if you grow up in it you probably dont mind all the ads.

So i have no idea WTF goes on with this thing

So people who dont even care or support either team actually tune in and watch this thing...WHY?

I understand you may get to see a free concert at half time(which can be watched on the internet without all the shitty American Football shit either side of it)

Seems like the most ridiculous thing ever to watch something for over 3 hours in which you have no connection to at all, other than being American

There's also festivities that go along with it. I'm not a diehard fan, nor do I have any stake in either team, but I'm going over to gathering/party tomorrow.

Well don't soccer fans watch the champions league final regardless of their connection to the teams? Normal soccer leagues can't be used as an example because they don't have a "final".

Theres really nothing else to it than that.

If the NBA was single elimination its title game would probably be much more popular. Part of why football draws such high ratings is because football has fewer games than any other sport making any individual football game more important than its counterpart in another sport.

I feel like you need to have grown up in that culture to enjoy it. I tried several times watching it but its not for me. Too many breaks and very little action. NBA is bad enough with the breaks NFL is worse. But i think if you grow up in it you probably dont mind all the ads.
No, plenty of us hate the ads and all the spectacle. But it's a sport, and if you happen to enjoy that sport why wouldn't you watch the best two teams play each other? Even if you hate sports I don't see what's so perplexing about why someone who likes American football would watch the superbowl, seems ridiculous.

No, plenty of us hate the ads and all the spectacle. But it's a sport, and if you happen to enjoy that sport why wouldn't you watch the best two teams play each other? Even if you hate sports I don't see what's so perplexing about why someone who likes American football would watch the superbowl, seems ridiculous.
I just think you would mind the ads more and the frequency of them if you grow up living somewhere where its not common. For example in soccer you have 45 min play time then 15 min break then 45 min again playing. Im not much of a fan of soccer anymore but if that is how you grow up the ads will be more annoying than if that is just the way you always had it. Im not saying you shouldnt enjoy it have at it sherbro it just wasnt for me and i gave it a fair shot. I found even rugby more enjoyable but not much of a fan either.

Well it’s atleast an hour of playtime , just like hockey or most other timed sports
11 minutes of playing time

OB-FG885_Footba_DV_20100115010106.jpg

So i have no idea WTF goes on with this thing

So people who dont even care or support either team actually tune in and watch this thing...WHY?

I understand you may get to see a free concert at half time(which can be watched on the internet without all the shitty American Football shit either side of it)

Seems like the most ridiculous thing ever to watch something for over 3 hours in which you have no connection to at all, other than being American
All you really need to know is pizza chains, gambling hotlines, and victims advocates will all be working overtime

Football is a mildly entertaining sport. But not as entertaining as most sports. I think part of what makes Americans love it so much is the scarcity. They only play 17 games a season. One game each week for each team.

So mostly it’s just a ton of build up all week long. Americans love the build up.

We love violence, and football has that. And we love static hierarchy. Football definitely has that. The quarterback is the man. Everyone knows that. He’s the guy with the brains and athleticism.

The WRs have the athleticism. The linemen are the goons.

And most of all, Americans love it because it’s uniquely American. We’re the only ones who play it.

The Super Bowl is the championship game. It’s as simple as that.

I just think you would mind the ads more and the frequency of them if you grow up living somewhere where its not common. For example in soccer you have 45 min play time then 15 min break then 45 min again playing. Im not much of a fan of soccer anymore but if that is how you grow up the ads will be more annoying than if that is just the way you always had it. Im not saying you shouldnt enjoy it have at it sherbro it just wasnt for me and i gave it a fair shot. I found even rugby more enjoyable but not much of a fan either.
I'm sorry man I really don't understand what you're trying to say beyond "more commercials than normal is annoying." Yes I agree more commercials than are normally shown is annoying, but people that like football won't let commercials stop them from watching the championship game. I'm not much into sports anymore myself, I'll probably just have it on as background while I do other shit.

Well don't soccer fans watch the champions league final regardless of their connection to the teams? Normal soccer leagues can't be used as an example because they don't have a "final".

Theres really nothing else to it than that.

If the NBA was single elimination its title game would probably be much more popular. Part of why football draws such high ratings is because football has fewer games than any other sport making any individual football game more important than its counterpart in another sport.
Same with Baseball. It’s cool the series is a best of 7 games so it’s a few days of excitement, but if it were 1 game it would be a far bigger spectacle. I usually end up catching one of the middle games and that’s it.

I'm sorry man I really don't understand what you're trying to say beyond "more commercials than normal is annoying." Yes I agree more commercials than are normally shown is annoying, but people that like football won't let commercials stop them from watching the championship game. I'm not much into sports anymore myself, I'll probably just have it on as background while I do other shit.
You dont have to be sorry must be my somewhat wonky english if your not understanding me. My point is if you are used to a lot of commercials i think you will mind them way less than if you grow up without constant ads. It was hard for me to get into it because of that reason alone. Not saying ads wont bother you but if that is the norm its probably not as annoying as for someone who is not used to it.

Same with Baseball. It’s cool the series is a best of 7 games so it’s a few days of excitement, but if it were 1 game it would be a far bigger spectacle. I usually end up catching one of the middle games and that’s it.

Thats the NFLs "secret sauce". No game means more in the context of its sport than NFL. If the NBA reduced their season to 20 games they would be a serious rival to the NFL every regular season game would be bedlam.

Baseballs 162 game season was designed for a time there were no playoffs except the World Series. The regular season was the playoffs. You had a pennant race that went the whole season. Even in 1920 baseball would have struggled under the current system. Baseballs playoff format and regular season format are incompatible with each other.

Why is it any different to any other country?
The premier league final in UK is surely watched by more than just the team supporters, it's still a big deal, same as Stanley cup final or whatever else.

For the record I don't "get" it either, I saw the graph about it being only a few minutes playtime in those 3hrs.
Last year’s premier league final was a real dandy! Both teams were really up for it!!

3 hours of "hilarious" commercials and a shitty halftime performance by some overrated pop star. And like 30 minutes of actual gameplay.

I actually know real life people who excitedly watch it for the commercials, which has always blown my mind.

Back