2. Distorted vocals
  3. Based in the 90s
  4. American
  5. Pop melodies/aesthetic but melancholy
  6. Heavier than pop but lighter than straight up rock
  7. Chorus/flanger on guitar, reverb, aquatic imagery
  8. Non-Western/Arabic/Mexican influences
  9. Motown-esque drumming
I haven't found a definition for this genre of music. It's not that big. I'm not talking about the Beach Boys and Dick Dale or the Ramones, it really started in the 90s as far as I can tell although some groups are still performing. Obviously not every track fits all nine points. Let's get into it!

/

Band is from Dayton, Ohio
Album: Pacer (1995)

Last edited:
From your description above it sounds more like rockabilly or psychobilly :):):).
Surf music was created in the 60s even before Dale and The Beach Boys.

There are two big songs in this genre everyone will know - the other ones and groups aren't very famous. This seems to be the granddaddy of the genre, and is from 1988, so a little earlier than I was thinking.

Band is from Boston
Album: Surfer Rosa (1988)

716voHp6zOL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

Wrt the Wavves song (and others), can anyone confirm that's the minor harmonic scale that gives it that 'Egyptian' sound? It's been a long time since I studied music theory...

Last edited:
There are two big songs in this genre everyone will know - the other ones and groups aren't very famous. This seems to be the granddaddy of the genre, and is from 1988, so a little earlier than I was thinking.

Band is from Boston
Album: Surfer Rosa (1988)

Wrt the Wavves song (and others), can anyone confirm that's the minor harmonic scale that gives it that 'Egyptian' sound? It's been a long time since I studied music theory...

Good question.....:)

Song in the OP has a shoegaze feel to it.

I watched Los Straight Jackets live around 2016. Not sure 8f they are still touring but they were great back then.

Good question.....:)
I asked elsewhere and got one answer, apparently it's in the major scale but with chromatics, which are what give the melancholy 'Egyptian' sound.
Song in the OP has a shoegaze feel to it.
Yeah maybe this genre is Shoegaze adjacent. Early 90s heavy/dark pop to alt rock. There's a kind of revival/reinterpretation of Shoegaze going on now by the way, they're calling it 'Zoomergaze'.

/

Band is from LA
Album: Crazy For You (2010)

71akZgGIgdS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

The singer, Bethany Cosentino, used to be the girlfriend of Nathan Williams, the Wavves singer. I also forgot to mention that the singer of the Amps, in the OP, and the Breeders, who are coming up, is Kim Deal, who was the bassist in the Pixies.

conspiracy-charlie-day.gif

Band is from Reno but moved to LA
Album: Sad Boys (EP) (2013)

The drummer, Nick Rattigan, did a great job on this track, the drums are straight out of 1962! He's also the singer and apparently multi talented.

Surf rock is great when your working g as background since there is no lyrics to distract you. L8ve the stuff.

The Mermen are my go to Surf Rock band

LA Hell Gang is great too, just cruisin'

I think I know the sound you are trying to describe here but calling it surf seems wrong simply because that genre is already well defined. I'm not sure what to call it though. There are elements of shoegaze for sure. Anyway, here's a couple that come to mind.

The Regrettes from Los Angeles
Album : How Do You Love?

Last edited:
The Frights from Poway, California
Album: The Frights self titled debut

Band is from Dayton, Ohio
Album: Last Splash (1993)

71c+R6x14bL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back