Target Shooting with Snub Nose Revolver

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I can rapidly fire and hit 80% or better with my snub nose 38 special, when shooting at the a-box on a human silhouette target 40' away.

I would like to be able to hit an 8" circle at 45' 80% of the time, at least slow firing. I can do it at 75' with a glock 43, but all the added difficulties of the snub nose put it out of my reach.

Are there any tips and tricks or easy training methods that can get me to 8" at 45' with a snub nose 38 special? I can barely hit 50% on a good round with slow fire.

What are you shooting with? I had a S&W 642 years ago and it was miserable.

What are you shooting with? I had a S&W 642 years ago and it was miserable.

Taurus 856 2" dbl action. It pops for sure.

Unloaded, it is a lot heavier than most snub nose, and I'm not even shooting plus p so I imagine it only gets worse from here.

Not trying to be a dick but with the price of ammo these days, what makes you want to put the time and money into long distance snub nose pistol skills? Just seems like an odd thing to focus on.

Not trying to be a dick but with the price of ammo these days, what makes you want to put the time and money into long distance snub nose pistol skills? Just seems like an odd thing to focus on.

Pocket carry is my favorite, and i like revolvers because they are more reliable. Accuracy is important. Imagine a dog is mauling your kid, a terrorist has armor on, or you have to shoot into a pedo's car as they do a kidnapping. Can't miss.

With 1 large dog you should be able to deal btw....
With 2 it will be end of game for you. Despite dreams. End.

Snubnoze revolvers aren't intended for precision shooting...
Their niche is to provide just some (!) chances with 2 nd backup weapon or as tool to be used in case of unexpected attack.

To start to learn how to use 38 Sp cartridge is to use heavy revolver with long barrel.
Not snubnoze.

Cock the hammer each time, ala single action?

Cock the hammer each time, ala single action?

I actually just bought a second gun with a shrouded hammer so it won't snag, and that there is no chance for a mechanical failure to cause a discharge. I like it a lot.

I know it is easier to make hits cocking the hammer, but that's not how I'd end up using it in a struggle so it doesn't matter much if I can hit that way. Plus, a feature I like is the heavy trigger. Cock it first and it is easier to fuck up if a bunch of people are yelling and talking.

I actually just bought a second gun with a shrouded hammer so it won't snag, and that there is no chance for a mechanical failure to cause a discharge. I like it a lot.

I know it is easier to make hits cocking the hammer, but that's not how I'd end up using it in a struggle so it doesn't matter much if I can hit that way. Plus, a feature I like is the heavy trigger. Cock it first and it is easier to fuck up if a bunch of people are yelling and talking.

Then you've no choice, learn to embrace the long hard pull.

Any short barrel gun is a tool for close work.

Revolvers are dope
They are not dope.
They does have their own niche and are beautiful in some applications for sure....

For example in some cases revolver with certain mechanism might offer you relatively quick chance for 2 nd chance if cartridge will not work etc...

Also in some countries lawmakers are banning CCW permits holders to carry pistol with cartridge in chamber while revolver's cylinder is considered the same as magazine for pistol etc...
+ they might be usable if you have only 1 hand to use and doesn't eject spent cartridges automatically ...

the wr thread reminded me that this subforum exists.

oof @ this thread.

you just complained about not wanting to spend hundreds or thousands to fix your g43 that jams (?????), then i see you have multiple snubbies and say shit like "i like revolvers because they are more reliable. Accuracy is important. Imagine a dog is mauling your kid, a terrorist has armor on, or you have to shoot into a pedo's car as they do a kidnapping. Can't miss." and i'm sitting here, cringing.

dude. the fact that you can outshoot your snubbies substantially with a pocket glock should illustrate the issue to degrees of obviousness with flashing red lights and loud klaxons.

I do think revolvers are fun to shoot, but just wouldn’t work for me for defense. 5 to 6 rounds is a no-go. All the gangbangers in the Chicago area have Glock switches and 30 round mags now. Revolver of any kind would leave me woefully outgunned.

Pocket carry is my favorite, and i like revolvers because they are more reliable. Accuracy is important. Imagine a dog is mauling your kid, a terrorist has armor on, or you have to shoot into a pedo's car as they do a kidnapping. Can't miss.
Just out of curiosity have any of these situations ever arisen in your presumably 30+ years on earth?

Just out of curiosity have any of these situations ever arisen in your presumably 30+ years on earth?

To people in my country or to me? I have been attacked by a dog before.

I have flood insurance too and yet there has never been a flood on any house in this neighborhood.

To people in my country or to me? I have been attacked by a dog before.

I have flood insurance too and yet there has never been a flood on any house in this neighborhood.
Well a word of advice, If a pedo is doing a kidnapping, don't shoot into their car, chances you blow a hole in the kidnapping victim are just as high as you blow a hole in the kidnapper, especially with a pistol as inherently inaccurate as a snubnosed revolver.
.38 Special you're losing velocity very quickly out of a snubnose, I would focus on being reasonably accurate with your first shot after your draw, rather than focusing on accuracy over multiple shots. The reason I say this is after your first shot environmental factors (people running, target shooting back, target sprinting in a different direction) are likely going to affect your ability to shoot accurately in follow up shots.
In the scenarios you've mentioned (excluding the dog attack, because if you're taking shots at a dog attacking someone at 80' with a snubnose you're a fucking retard) you're best focusing on your draw and first shot and then moving to a new position for follow up shots. Because in the majority of real world scenarios you're hardly going to stand there popping shots from the one spot like you're Robocop.

TLDR:
Focus on draw and first shot placement.

Well a word of advice, If a pedo is doing a kidnapping, don't shoot into their car, chances you blow a hole in the kidnapping victim are just as high as you blow a hole in the kidnapper, especially with a pistol as inherently inaccurate as a snubnosed revolver.
.38 Special you're losing velocity very quickly out of a snubnose, I would focus on being reasonably accurate with your first shot after your draw, rather than focusing on accuracy over multiple shots. The reason I say this is after your first shot environmental factors (people running, target shooting back, target sprinting in a different direction) are likely going to affect your ability to shoot accurately in follow up shots.
In the scenarios you've mentioned (excluding the dog attack, because if you're taking shots at a dog attacking someone at 80' with a snubnose you're a fucking retard) you're best focusing on your draw and first shot and then moving to a new position for follow up shots. Because in the majority of real world scenarios you're hardly going to stand there popping shots from the one spot like you're Robocop.

TLDR:
Focus on draw and first shot placement.

Totally agree with draw speed and shot placement. There's a reason most every self-defense shooting involves six rounds or less. People drop dead or haul ass. Shout out to Active Self-Protection on Youtube.

Better practice like a MFer if you're relying on a double-action trigger. Fine for the police because they're the fuckers doing the advancing. For people who have a split-second to react the stakes differ.

Semi-auto. Cocked and locked FTW.

Back