News The 2020 Likepocalypse

Imagine thinking LIKES were destroying the bandwith of a server rather than the thousands of GIFS and other pointless bullshit pictures being posted in the majority of posts and one particular sub-forum.

Cba Sherdog.
actually, it's even worse. they're not saying it's the bandwidth that's killing it (most of the images aren't even hosted on sherdog), they're saying the database queries for shit completely unrelated to likes reference the likes, which causes locks, which cause crashes.

it means the forum software is garbage. that's the only explanation. the like function should have almost no bearing on performance, the excuse is ridiculous. forums in general are not some complex computing issue.

when you have 160k registered users, the revenue the forum is creating from advertising isn't insignificant. this is embarrassing.

Yeah brother. It’s been an ongoing discussion. There’s a lot of pros/cons to both side of things.

On one hand it can be a valuable tool to incentivize posts that contribute and aren’t spam, and replace “this” or “+1”, but then of course you get things like people spamming gifs of Ronda getting head kicked, posting bikini photos in the pbp or Conor tapping to accumulate “likes”.

There’s trade-offs. And I think the staff recognizes that and is trying to find some form of balance. The reset was technical, but it’s now an opportunity to re evaluate “likes” and “like culture”.
One thing that won't change is Ronda head kick gifs and so on... Bisping got KTFO back in 2009, about 5 years before likes happened and this was the first image in every thread about him for most of that time...

3728405760_a35bc42be3.jpg

That's just how the internet works.

Bikini pics in the pbp is shameful though... remember that time about 6 months ago when that guy posted gay guys kissing gifs and he got banned from the heavies...? I member....

Real Gs post real shit.

giphy.gif

I say someone gotta just bite the bullet and we move on... Otherwise people will moan forever.

Last edited:
This place used to be just fine before the like system. Circa 2015. Every other forum has likes but somehow it’s an issue here. Just get rid of them all together. This is now an elitist system.

bac0484f-2235-4ce2-a023-101cbe17ec21_text.gif

How would you know about "Circa 2015" in this site, when you joined in 2020?
:confused:

I don't see why they would need to reset the likes to be honest.

They could've exported the like table(s), reset the system and then re-import the likes counts.

They just didn't want to do the work.

They were either lazy or they didn't know how to do it or in other words, too lazy to look it up.

And yet they want us to stop using "ad blockers" and click their highly disruptive ads,
and upgrade subscriptions, so that we can get the site THEY want, not the site WE want!!
:mad:

How would you know about "Circa 2015" in this site, when you joined in 2020?
:confused:

A senior admin already outed me, as having a previous account. Can I then just assume this is your first account? Or that in your time here you’ve never seen older accounts become toast for one reason or another? In my case, it has only ever been beefs with the mods. I’m not a pathetic little troll, and I always had a problem with just allowing trolls to go unchecked in here.

Are you that obtuse that you thought I’d just make up some innocuous post about what it was like 5 years ago, if I wasn’t here?

I honestly don’t understand what you were trying to accomplish with this post. If it was sarcasm, you missed the mark by not making that clear.

A senior admin already outed me, as having a previous account. Can I then just assume this is your first account? Or that in your time here you’ve never seen older accounts become toast for one reason or another? In my case, it has only ever been beefs with the mods. I’m not a pathetic little troll, and I always had a problem with just allowing trolls to go unchecked in here.

Are you that obtuse that you thought I’d just make up some innocuous post about what it was like 5 years ago, if I wasn’t here?

I honestly don’t understand what you were trying to accomplish with this post. If it was sarcasm, you missed the mark by not making that clear.

No, I thought YOU were/are "that obtuse" to make a statement like that.

We see guys make honest mistakes here all of the time, and we point it out sometimes to help, we also see idiots questioning our intelligence, thinking that they are smarter then everyone here.

My question was very precise and respectful, and I do joke around alot, but always with respect.
I expect you to do the same, or consider this conversation terminated.

This is correct. However here's the problem, Sherdog relies on traffic for money. When you get rid of the like system you're also cutting down the traffic to the site. The people who stay on here 24/7 will have less incentive to post, or spend time on Sherdog. If this site loses even 10% of it's traffic that's going to hurt.

If he dies.jpeg

I was quite fond of liking "In" gifs and occasional opinions. Don't feel I was whore about it but it's a moot point now.

<DCrying>

No one thought you were a whore,....more like a prostitute that accepts Food Stamps!
;)

I only began giving likes after I started the RWC thread. The like button failed me once after that and I will never give another like again.

Bring back the old format Sherdog.

The last few years of jab touchers life have been for nothing, all that time wasted refreshing looking for threads with zero posts. All gone Hahahahahahahahahaha

Back