The definitive criteria for GOAT consideration

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
Fighters who are disqualified from GOAT consideration

(1) A fighter who fought mostly outside the UFC

Dana sucks and the fighters need a union. That being said, the UFC is the major leagues of MMA. It's not perfect but it beats a promotion with fixed fights and referees wearing earpieces. A football player who mostly played in the CFL, Arena Football, and/or college is on no one's top 1000 list of greatest players.

(2) A fighter who mostly fought in non-Unified Rules MMA

Many were legit pioneers no doubt. But they plied their trade with McDojo frauds, cab drivers, and toughman competitors.

Bare minimum criteria for GOAT consideration

(1) A fighter must have 15 wins in the UFC under the Unified Rules

(2) A fighter must have at least five title defenses under the Unified Rules

(3) The two criteria above must be within the GOAT Consideration Period.

GOAT Consideration Period

(1) It starts with the fighter's first fight in the UFC under the Unified Rules (win or lose)

(2) It ends with their 15th win or 5th title defense, whichever comes later.

(3) Within the period described above, they have at least a 80% win ratio. Having 15 wins in the UFC, while hard, is not an insurmountable task. Not losing is the GOAT-level accomplishment.

For example, GSP's first fight was in Jan. 2004 and his 15th win and fifth title defense was in December 2010). His record within that period was 15-2

Anderson is 15-0 (June 2006 to July 2012)

Jon Jones is 15-1 (Aug. 2008 to Jan. 2015)

I include a cutoff date so that a fighter's past their prime fights do not become an unfair consideration. However, these fights can be considered as a secondary factor when comparing GOAT candidates to each other.

Final thoughts

It's strict numbers. It's not best trash talker or best can crusher in PRIDE.

The standard established by GSP, Jones, Anderson, etc., is stringent but should not be tinkered with. No reason to lower it for others.

GOAT is not a participation trophy.

I only need my eyes to tell me who the GOAT is.

Lol the more I read this thread the more stupid I realize it is

(1) A fighter's first name must be Conor.
(2) A fighter's surname must be McGregor.

Criteria for GOAT consideration:

Be named Mike Perry.

/thread.

Seriously, this will always be a subjective argument.

GOAT is all subjective, but it's hard to argue for anyone other than Fedor, GSP, Anderson, or Bones IMO

How about being a clean fighter?

NON-USADA Goats

Fedor
Anderson Silva
JBJ
GSP

USADA GOATs

Conor McGregor

(1) A fighter's first name must be Conor.
(2) A fighter's surname must be McGregor.

Honestly true.

1. Conor McGoat (Just look at his name, it contains GOAT.)
2. Mike Perry (His chinese zodiac sign is the GOAT.)

thanks for the criteria not a real fan, i will put this forth to the GOAT consideration board and get back to you. don't get up, i'll lick the letter and everything, you do you fam

When it comes to GOAT, you have to take the entire prime and or run into consideration. For each fighter it's different, it's not a specific number of fights.

Also when you're talking GOAT you have to take rounds into consideration. Many GOATS are undefeated in their prime but how many of them lose rounds?

Lastly, aggression and finishes have to be considered in GOAT talk. The way you win may not be a big deal when talking about the greats, but when you're talking GOAT it certainly does.

32 fights, 24 finishes, lost only one round against the best of the best over a decade.

Fedor Bless

Just make a regular Fedor hate thread and move on.

GSP
Dominated his divison
Avenged his losses
retired with the belt
Never popped (lol)
on top of that a very Class act type guy.
If there are goat considerations GSP should be the #1 in all of mma

so you are trying to find the UFC GOAT? You missed that word in the OT

Back