The Dungeons and Dragons Megathread v2

5e bros:

Need suggestions for good source books for kids birthday.

He has the 3 core books and homebrews his own adventures/campaign setting, so more supplemental stuff.

Thought about d&d beyond, but he plays in person and 3d prints (yes he's spoiled) most of his minis.

Thanks.
Not a sourcebook per se but is this up his alley?

5e bros:

He has the 3 core books and homebrews his own adventures/campaign setting, so more supplemental stuff.

Thought about d&d beyond, but he plays in person and 3d prints (yes he's spoiled) most of his minis.

Thanks.
For 5e Xanathar's Guide to everything and Tasha's Cauldron of everything are both borderline essential for the extra subclasses, and other stuff they contain (Ebberon: Rising From the Last War is a setting book that also has some good Races and stuff)

If he DMs a lot the Lazy DM's Guides and The Monster's Know What They're doing are both good 3rd party stuff to help him run games

5e bros:

Thanks.
Saw this posted on D&D Beyond the other day:

5e bros:

Thanks.
I know you said books, but would he want any supplements like a superiority dice tracker, spell slot tracker, tokens, inspiration coins, potion bottles, condition rings, custom dice tray, etc.? I've got this from Etsy. Also, had an artist create a custom picture of our characters which I framed.

1711722335266.png

200w.gif

Got my order in, comes with some sort of Mimic dice box.

Hope the rumored minifigure series happens too.

My Rutland session is coming up on Tuesday 4/9. (You can find the map on page 22).
I have one planned encounter and the rest is a sandbox.
I'm hoping the encounter with Lincoln Continental and his crew goes as planned (which it never does). My intention was for this fight to be decidedly easy. I just want to get off a 'silence' and a 'hideous laughter' (turn about is fair play). I don't want them to be too spent so they will continue to explore.

The rest of the city will be populated by encounter tables.
The first this I'll do is populate the bar (Two Sheas), which will eliminate some of those entities from the following tables
The next table I have is for encounters that will occur on the street
and lastly are the encounters that will occur within the unoccupied buildings.

Within those lists I have a few fun ones:

The succubus, Lana Del Ray can be in one of three locations (disguised as a human).
She might be in the bar looking for a victim
On the street, taking a piss. She'll maintain eye contact while peeing
or in a barn, bumping uglies with a local and stealing his soul.

The other crazy one is a junkie eating another human.

The place is supposed to feel like a deserted town where the vermin have come out with the lack of a civilized presence.

Early release is Monday for Lego Insiders.

Get a mimic per d&d set order.

I’mma ready.

200w.gif

Got my order in, comes with some sort of Mimic dice box.

Hope the rumored minifigure series happens too.
One of my party members just interviewed with Lego.
He says if he is hired, he will get a subscription to like a loot crate type thing, and a 25-30% in store discount.
I said he's sharing.

One of my party members just interviewed with Lego.
He says if he is hired, he will get a subscription to like a loot crate type thing, and a 25-30% in store discount.
I said he's sharing.

D&D Legos are hot so far, main set’s on back order and the limited Mimic item ran out in less than 12 hours apparently when it was supposed to be available for a week.

432767878_959145305575653_4557786769346988358_n-jpg.352301

Rumored minifigure series that’s possibly coming out in September… why not next month, or next week, or tomorrow?

Hoping to get a whole case of it should it happen.

During our regular Wednesday session at the brewery, a distinguished gentleman from down-under (so actually a criminal) came to our table, lured by the tantalizing sounds of dice hitting the table, and introduced himself. He was a kindred spirit who showed us pictures of his game room (complete with secret entrance) and told tales of his DMing and Role-Playing exploits. We exchanged nerd-stickers and FB info. So if you find yourself in Brisbane, I may have a gaming hook-up for you.

At our session though, we found ourselves in a Dinner at the conflux of multiple planes. Each of us conversed with a patron to gather information needed to help find and rescue the Lost King (aka the buried star). I had to befriend a studious gnome by telling the story of what brought me to the place. He was intrigued by the story of exchanging boons with Bob, the mushroom king so sent me to talk to Bathar the loxodon bard. He wanted a song about my adventures, so I compromised by humming the tune I danced to when I charmed the evil, eternal princess while I stole her hairpin - reenacting the dancing (acrobatics) as I did so because I can't sing. He filled in the blanks on his sitar and rewarded me with a map.
The party reconvened, with strawberry sake milkshakes to go, and boarded the ship that had returned to pick us up. The ship's captain owes us several journeys across the planes in return for the mystical astro-labe we (I, actually) stole. After we got underway, I stealthily made my way to the secret hold I'd previously found to see what they'd sold and what they'd since acquired. I found a juvenile dragon in a crate. End scene. No combat, but I had fun.

@Cyrano200 , I love that the game is this. You've described a session that sounds wonderful, but I don't think I could ever pull off. At least not as a DM, most of my players are a little shy to role play in character and i tend to get lost when voicing multiple characters with different accents.
Makes me think of my first session jumping back in to the game. I was all hopped up on Matt Mercer, so I tried voicing two characters that were engaging in dialog with each other and with the party. That was a mistake.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to draw my party in to the role play aspects a bit more. But for now, they're a hack and slash crew.

@Cyrano200 , I love that the game is this. You've described a session that sounds wonderful, but I don't think I could ever pull off. At least not as a DM, most of my players are a little shy to role play in character and i tend to get lost when voicing multiple characters with different accents.
Makes me think of my first session jumping back in to the game. I was all hopped up on Matt Mercer, so I tried voicing two characters that were engaging in dialog with each other and with the party. That was a mistake.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to draw my party in to the role play aspects a bit more. But for now, they're a hack and slash crew.
Honestly, my group really leans into character foibles way more than combat. One girl, a halfling wizard, is fascinated by books and reading. She plays as a naive, scholarly type who is easily distracted by pretty things and most especially books. She can find stuff out. Then we have the cowardly Kobold artificer. He's physically weak and decidedly meek unless cornered. He prefers to ride on the shoulders of our warforged cleric (my daughter) to walking (his W-uber) and hiding to fighting. His draconic cry is more like a feeble cry of dismay, compared to my kobold's warbling war-cry (we actually do these, not so much voices otherwise). He is quite useful in making things for the rest of us though. He upgraded the warforged's armor, made the halfling magical spectacles and made me anklets of flying. (I'm thinking of returning the bag of 3000 gold I stole from him with a 1000 extra after I fence a gem I acquired) Then we have the prideful paladin. This player made the character because the previous two campaigns he played characters that were decidedly useless in combat and wanted to mix it up. (He has the worst luck with rolls though, so still misses more than he hits. It's hilarious when it isn't tragic). Then there's the human sorcerer member of a merchant guild who is far more interested in the "deal" and gaining knowledge that will help him make more deals than any kind of fight.
My daughters warforged is capable in a fight (I guess in reality, they all are. 5e bless and OP) but ends up focusing on the actual relgious aspects of cleric in our game. My rogue is also quite capable, but I lean into espionage and purloining stuff, with a little bit of swashbuckling in there.

All that to say, I could stand a little more hack & slash myself.

A few thoughts:
Tasha's hideous laughter broke me as a DM but I think I have found a solution... Legendary resistance. Okay this is an excuse for DM fiet but I can accept it since a fight with an ogre or hill giant should be terrifying ( depending upon party level)

Also, I'm running my succubus, Lana, as a warlock. I often use character classes for special encounters since it works around meta gaming knowledge that the humans might already know about the monsters they are fighting.
With that said, the warlock is a challenging class. If it wasn't for the charm based build I went for, it's and Eldrich blast machine with two spell slot.

Have you guys run a Warlock?

Back