The Dungeons and Dragons Megathread v2

A few thoughts:
Tasha's hideous laughter broke me as a DM but I think I have found a solution... Legendary resistance. Okay this is an excuse for DM fiet but I can accept it since a fight with an ogre or hill giant should be terrifying ( depending upon party level)

Also, I'm running my succubus, Lana, as a warlock. I often use character classes for special encounters since it works around meta gaming knowledge that the humans might already know about the monsters they are fighting.
With that said, the warlock is a challenging class. If it wasn't for the charm based build I went for, it's and Eldrich blast machine with two spell slot.

Have you guys run a Warlock?
I ran a hex blade. It was fun. But the 2 spell slot and reliance on Eldritch Blast definitely means you need to be picky on what you use and hit on.

During our regular Wednesday session at the brewery, a distinguished gentleman from down-under (so actually a criminal) came to our table, lured by the tantalizing sounds of dice hitting the table, and introduced himself. He was a kindred spirit who showed us pictures of his game room (complete with secret entrance) and told tales of his DMing and Role-Playing exploits. We exchanged nerd-stickers and FB info. So if you find yourself in Brisbane, I may have a gaming hook-up for you.

At our session though, we found ourselves in a Dinner at the conflux of multiple planes. Each of us conversed with a patron to gather information needed to help find and rescue the Lost King (aka the buried star). I had to befriend a studious gnome by telling the story of what brought me to the place. He was intrigued by the story of exchanging boons with Bob, the mushroom king so sent me to talk to Bathar the loxodon bard. He wanted a song about my adventures, so I compromised by humming the tune I danced to when I charmed the evil, eternal princess while I stole her hairpin - reenacting the dancing (acrobatics) as I did so because I can't sing. He filled in the blanks on his sitar and rewarded me with a map.
The party reconvened, with strawberry sake milkshakes to go, and boarded the ship that had returned to pick us up. The ship's captain owes us several journeys across the planes in return for the mystical astro-labe we (I, actually) stole. After we got underway, I stealthily made my way to the secret hold I'd previously found to see what they'd sold and what they'd since acquired. I found a juvenile dragon in a crate. End scene. No combat, but I had fun.
Pictures of game room?

Pictures of game room?
Sorry, but they were pictures on his phone. His FB stuff is from a Kickstarter he and his son started for gaming stuff. You'd be surprised at the lack of meticulous note taking when one slightly inebriated old DnD player meets another slightly inebriated old DnD player in a brewery.

I just finished running encounter with the Rutland toughs; the bard, Lincoln Continental. The orc barbarian, Toyota Thon. The Dwarf fighter, Clinton Marblebottom. And the two human rogues, Chevy Impala and Nissan Maximo.
Lincoln sat on the picnic table, feet on the bench before. The toughs were trying to shake the party down for 50 gp. The party wasn't having it and drew weapons. During the dialogs, I had my two rogues sneak into position. As the party launch their attack, I had my rogues deliver theirs.

A d6 short sword plus sneak attack is a pretty good blow. The party in return offered their volley, but the toughs were exactly that. It was going to take a big spell or 3 hits to knock them down.

The party's Dwarf Bard, Bromm was on fire and chopped down the other dwarf with his hand axe. The mage G-Bach, was not and he missed with all of his Chromatic orbs.

Skipping much of the details, we got to a point when the party has two of the toughs down. Two of the remaining bolted for it. The barbarian orc was hopped up on Dragon Powder and was raging and reckless. The party chased after. What a mistake.

A pissed barbarian orc is nothing to be triffled with. Having just been stabbed by the musketeer's rapier, she hooked his arm and headbutted him in the face. Natty 20.

I dented his nose back into his skull. First party death. Next round I knock Brother Edgar down. And they can't gang up on the orc because they ran after the fleeing members.

In long run, the party won. But that was fun. I used a Hideous laughter, so they'd know the feels. And found out barbarians are tanks and reckless is OP.

I just finished running encounter with the Rutland toughs; the bard, Lincoln Continental. The orc barbarian, Toyota Thon. The Dwarf fighter, Clinton Marblebottom. And the two human rogues, Chevy Impala and Nissan Maximo.
Lincoln sat on the picnic table, feet on the bench before. The toughs were trying to shake the party down for 50 gp. The party wasn't having it and drew weapons. During the dialogs, I had my two rogues sneak into position. As the party launch their attack, I had my rogues deliver theirs.

A d6 short sword plus sneak attack is a pretty good blow. The party in return offered their volley, but the toughs were exactly that. It was going to take a big spell or 3 hits to knock them down.

The party's Dwarf Bard, Bromm was on fire and chopped down the other dwarf with his hand axe. The mage G-Bach, was not and he missed with all of his Chromatic orbs.

Skipping much of the details, we got to a point when the party has two of the toughs down. Two of the remaining bolted for it. The barbarian orc was hopped up on Dragon Powder and was raging and reckless. The party chased after. What a mistake.

A pissed barbarian orc is nothing to be triffled with. Having just been stabbed by the musketeer's rapier, she hooked his arm and headbutted him in the face. Natty 20.

I dented his nose back into his skull. First party death. Next round I knock Brother Edgar down. And they can't gang up on the orc because they ran after the fleeing members.

In long run, the party won. But that was fun. I used a Hideous laughter, so they'd know the feels. And found out barbarians are tanks and reckless is OP.
Perma death or chance to bring back?

@Grassshoppa
Perma dead.
I don't even feel bad. He had three rounds of failed death saving throws. Within that period, none of his party members offered healing assistance, which included the bard and cleric having cure wounds and all of the members were field medic trained. Nope, they left him to bleed out.

I like to think the scene began with the tough's bard, Lincoln, saying in a very proper voice "Has the lady had a chance to powder her nose?" The Orc Barbarian replies in a gruff voice "Yes Boss" as she wipes her nose with the stained sleeve of her tunic.

Toyota is a big woman, standing about 6' 6". Long of limb and with the physique of one who has suffered the rigors of athletic endeavors. She moves forward with purpose, drawing the ilkwa from her back.

The party grossly underestimated the toughs, as did I. The challenge was a 4th level Bard, a 2nd level Barbarian, a 2nd level Fighter, and two 2nd level Rouges. The party is five 3rd level characters. Sometimes the dice will have it their way.

@MusclesMarinara @Thrawn33 Do you guys use encumbrance rules? We have pretty much ignored them in our games, but in tonight's game my rogue is going to fence a 10k gp necklace I filched a while back and while I'm sure my DM won't make a big deal of it, I think it could be fun to overcome those obstacles.

@Cyrano200
I've come across this thrice and had to lay down the law. Each time involved the encumbrance of weapons. We had both the halfling rogue and the human fighter want to carry both bows and crossbows. I flatly said 'no, choose one or the other'. The other instance was with the dwarf who had multiples of battle axes and war hammers. That was resolved by asking if we could consider the axes had hammers on the other side.

Your question is harder to answer. How big is a gold piece and how do we scale that in modern value? In my head, I have these giant coins that would make it challenging to carry around more than 100 pieces.

If I apply some logic, we can imagine a gold piece the size of a nickle. 2000 nickles will weigh just over 22 lbs. Assuming the necklace is solid gold, it should weigh around 110 lbs. I'd slow movement by 1/2 and/ or have the party members explain how they are portaging it. This might spawn another interaction with outside forces.

@MusclesMarinara @Thrawn33 Do you guys use encumbrance rules? We have pretty much ignored them in our games, but in tonight's game my rogue is going to fence a 10k gp necklace I filched a while back and while I'm sure my DM won't make a big deal of it, I think it could be fun to overcome those obstacles.

Unless it's obviously ridiculous, I don't let it slow shit down.

Money is one of those things that we suspend disbelief for.

@Cyrano200
I've come across this thrice and had to lay down the law. Each time involved the encumbrance of weapons. We had both the halfling rogue and the human fighter want to carry both bows and crossbows. I flatly said 'no, choose one or the other'. The other instance was with the dwarf who had multiples of battle axes and war hammers. That was resolved by asking if we could consider the axes had hammers on the other side.

Your question is harder to answer. How big is a gold piece and how do we scale that in modern value? In my head, I have these giant coins that would make it challenging to carry around more than 100 pieces.

If I apply some logic, we can imagine a gold piece the size of a nickle. 2000 nickles will weigh just over 22 lbs. Assuming the necklace is solid gold, it should weigh around 110 lbs. I'd slow movement by 1/2 and/ or have the party members explain how they are portaging it. This might spawn another interaction with outside forces.
Unless it's obviously ridiculous, I don't let it slow shit down.

Money is one of those things that we suspend disbelief for.
The necklace is mostly emeralds but valued at 10,000 gp. My concern is for when I convert it to coin, how do I realistcally carry the coins?
https://5thsrd.org/adventuring/equipment/coins/ and the PH say 50 coins is a pound, sooo
10,000 gold / 50 coins per pound = 200 pounds, which is actually not as bad as I expected but still a lot for a kobold no matter the stats. My daughter plays a warforged, so her character could handle it easily enough. An interesting bit is that she and the artificer collaborated to install a bag of holding-esque compartment in her armpit, which could handle this issue, but as a rogue I don't think I would always be kosher with someone else holding my loot. I shared out all the things I was sent in to obtain, the necklace was purely opportunistic and therefore all mine!

The necklace is mostly emeralds but valued at 10,000 gp. My concern is for when I convert it to coin, how do I realistcally carry the coins?
https://5thsrd.org/adventuring/equipment/coins/ and the PH say 50 coins is a pound, sooo
10,000 gold / 50 coins per pound = 200 pounds, which is actually not as bad as I expected but still a lot for a kobold no matter the stats. My daughter plays a warforged, so her character could handle it easily enough. An interesting bit is that she and the artificer collaborated to install a bag of holding-esque compartment in her armpit, which could handle this issue, but as a rogue I don't think I would always be kosher with someone else holding my loot. I shared out all the things I was sent in to obtain, the necklace was purely opportunistic and therefore all mine!

Who's buying it at full GP value?

High dollar shit like I'd never expect to get back in coin, usually part of a trade at an agreed upon value (role played or rolled)

One option I used was for the bank (think Game of Thrones Iron Bank) or a temple to a certain God to issue platinum pieces or even a specially forged coin or mini-ingot that had a multiple coin dollar amount.

Usually my party doesn't sell pricey items until they need to buy something comparable and then trade it towards the cost of the other thing, only pocketing (or paying out) the difference. If the value is meant to be split among the party usually they'll be some trading of other gems/jewelry to at least get close to fair shares, maybe some smaller IOUs

Who's buying it at full GP value?

High dollar shit like I'd never expect to get back in coin, usually part of a trade at an agreed upon value (role played or rolled)

One option I used was for the bank (think Game of Thrones Iron Bank) or a temple to a certain God to issue platinum pieces or even a specially forged coin or mini-ingot that had a multiple coin dollar amount.
We haven't RP'd it yet, but one of my skills involves haggling. But I am considering at least a partial trade for materials for our artificer to use. I like the ingot option.

Usually my party doesn't sell pricey items until they need to buy something comparable and then trade it towards the cost of the other thing, only pocketing (or paying out) the difference. If the value is meant to be split among the party usually they'll be some trading of other gems/jewelry to at least get close to fair shares, maybe some smaller IOUs
Other gems is a good option. There is always a spell calling for gem-stones of a certain value.
As I said, the necklace is viewed as mine, but since the others have been good companions, I'm considering ways to share it out to repay some perceived debts.

Other gems is a good option. There is always a spell calling for gem-stones of a certain value.
As I said, the necklace is viewed as mine, but since the others have been good companions, I'm considering ways to share it out to repay some perceived debts.

A trip to the "magic shop", the other players lusting after an item and the player surprisingly picking up the tab with the necklace is a great RP opportunity

"Here Mage is the wand you desire, and the bow for you Ranger, and for you Halfling...that "thing"..consider all debts settled"

This has probably already been covered in the last 24 pages that I'm not going to read but do any of y'all paint the miniatures and if so would you show some of your best work on here?

@Thrawn33 @MusclesMarinara So last night was eventful. I crushed a series of rolls for investigation, persuasion, and some I'm sure I forgot, but I was able to locate a fence, arrange a meeting and get above kelly blue book. I also located several ingots of a certain ore my artificer friend uses to enhance his magic constructs at a bargain price, still on the string of crushing my rolls. Then our paladin, bored and looking for "evil doers" finds a den of inequity were nefarious things are taking place, for instance fencing jewelry obtained from extra planar royalty. This is where my rolls turn shit, and his usually poor rolling goes on a run. He crashes through a skylight wearing a full-on Batman hood seconds after I take payment in platinum and the promise of future work from my contact. We don't recognize each other in the hue and cry as I'm trying to get out but end up taking a solid spear thrust from a guard before their captain vouches for me being a legit patron of this place. He ends up facing off with the whole staff while I unknowingly leave him behind. He doesn't back down and uses a mystic contact card for someone he thought was like minded in that this stranger "wanted to clean up" the evildoers. The demon murders everyone there, including my newfound friend and business partner.
We end the night on cliff hanger, facing off with a group of 5 different colored warforged who are attempting to arrest our warforged cleric for heresy. We've done well, but they've just taken a step back and formed a megazord (I prefer Voltron, but I'll take it).
And the brewery had a new American Blonde Ale with toasted sunflower seeds and capsascin 🌻🌶️

This has probably already been covered in the last 24 pages that I'm not going to read but do any of y'all paint the miniatures and if so would you show some of your best work on here?
If you have any work, I'd love to see it. Plus, if you have terrain, show that as well.

I've been considering getting in to both minis and terrain, but I don't have the bandwidth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back