The ESPN deal has been awful for MMA fans

JDS, bro? this is a long time ago. in a land far away. people wanted more fights. dana gave them more fights. the UFC isnt 700 chuck lydells. some are boring cans like angela hill.

Weren’t there only four Fox cards per year though? The Fuel TV, FX, Fight Pass, and FS1 cards were hardly that stacked.

I remember Cub Swanson vs. Artem Lobov headlining a card. I also remember Louis Smolka vs. Paddy Holohan headlining a card.
The Louis Smolka/Paddy card had a lot of injuries. Maia vs LaFlare though? Fairly boring.

Who should I pay attention to out of the guys from Saturday's PPV? The card I just posted is far better than Saturday's card and it was free.
So fuckin what.

One free card is better than the other? Oh no have a cookie

Joanna vs gadelha was the best WMMA fight of all time at that point.

When was the last fight night on that level?
I dont really care tbh.

I dont mind having more cards and some of them being not good. I dont cry over shit like this. Yeah some cards are bad, so wow yknow what no one is forcing you to watch any of those. When I got into MMA I was fuckin starved for any kind of content. If UFC and Pride had one card in the same month it was like amazing. Now we have cards all the time, and even some of the no name cards can have great fights on it. Things aint perfect but in my long MMA fandom,every one bitches about how the past was better at every era there ever was.

Oh it was better under SEG, It was better when Pride was around, It was better before TUF came along, ohh the spike tv days were trhe best, Conor, fuckin reebok ,fuckin usada...Shit changes all the time. I actually really enjoyed Sat nights card,and the joy from UFC 300 still fills me w happiness.

Its all good in the hood.

Just get rid of the Apex and im aiiiiiiiiiiiite

How about this one?
Is this the worst card you can think of from the Fox era? You would be grateful to get a card like this today.

I'd say this card is better than the swanson vs lobov card. Of course the major issue with mma isn't that it's watered down, It's that there are too many fights on per event. this card is guilty of that, but It has ranked fighters in the last 4 fights, just as the one you posted in the OP. If you look at just the main event and the 4 fights below it as a main card (it's unusual to have such a large maincard), I think it's comparable to the card in your op. not better, but comparable.

1715037189770.png

shit spike tv fight night cards were better than espn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Ultimate_Fight_Night_2
these espn cards can deliver but so cant PFL, cage warriors, or one fc. i just expect a better pool of fighters from the "premier" fighting organization. some of these fighters are ranked 220 or higher in the world. hell tito ortiz fought little nog on spike tv free fight night.
Completely agree. I'll say that hardcores still watch them all, and it is nice to see some "noboby" match ups where you can tell a guy will be(come) a killer. . . . but at the same time those same hardcores are now "having" to wade through a swath of mediocre fights.

The truck I could have if I didn't buy every UFC / MMA , Boxing PPV

JDP_2024%20Chevrolet%20Silverado%20HD%20ZR2%20Front%20Quarter%20View.jpg

Am I the only one that things it's absolutely stupid to pay a monthly fee to be able to pay for an event? That's my biggest gripe with the ESPN deal. It's 100% retarded that it actually makes it more difficult to buy an event.

How about this one?

I'd say this card is better than the swanson vs lobov card. Of course the major issue with mma isn't that it's watered down, It's that there are too many fights on per event. this card is guilty of that, but It has ranked fighters in the last 4 fights, just as the one you posted in the OP. If you look at just the main event and the 4 fights below it as a main card (it's unusual to have such a large maincard), I think it's comparable to the card in your op. not better, but comparable.

View attachment 1042686

This card is comparable to the Swanson v Lobov card, not the one I originally posted. Swanson was on a 3 fight win streak and coming off the fight of the year, Wonderboy was on a 2 fight losing streak. If this is the best you can do it just furthers my point.

I dont really care tbh.

I dont mind having more cards and some of them being not good. I dont cry over shit like this. Yeah some cards are bad, so wow yknow what no one is forcing you to watch any of those. When I got into MMA I was fuckin starved for any kind of content. If UFC and Pride had one card in the same month it was like amazing. Now we have cards all the time, and even some of the no name cards can have great fights on it. Things aint perfect but in my long MMA fandom,every one bitches about how the past was better at every era there ever was.

Oh it was better under SEG, It was better when Pride was around, It was better before TUF came along, ohh the spike tv days were trhe best, Conor, fuckin reebok ,fuckin usada...Shit changes all the time. I actually really enjoyed Sat nights card,and the joy from UFC 300 still fills me w happiness.

Its all good in the hood.

Just get rid of the Apex and im aiiiiiiiiiiiite
Ive never said Pride or TUF was better. But there's been a noticeable decline in card quality in the ESPN era and I thought it was worth discussing.

This card is comparable to the Swanson v Lobov card, not the one I originally posted. Swanson was on a 3 fight win streak and coming off the fight of the year, Wonderboy was on a 2 fight losing streak. If this is the best you can do it just furthers my point.
OK how about this one?

1715038980589.png

Reactions: HHJ
I'm seeing 8 top 10 fighters in the first 4 fights. Lol give up dude.
1715039142710.png

Well that explains that, if numbers next to names is all that makes cards good, then yes you are right because there are more fighters and less numbers but numbers don't always indicate who the best fighters are, we know this because guys like conor and ortega colby get to hold numbers forever.

numbers aren't everything, but to say there are no good free cards is just whining. look at that saudi arabia card, that card is free on espn or whatever..... do you just look at a card like that and think it'd have been better before espn? The grass is always greener. I'll admit some of the UFC on Fox cards are better than some PPV's today (johnson vs benedvidez 2, Diaz vs henderson, Machida vs rockhold) but the amount of fights we get a month trump that.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Not sure what Cherry picking an event from 2 years ago is supposed to prove. The point is the card quality is clearly down from where it used to be.
Okay but the Card Quantity is up. Do you think there are less good fights per year than there were before, or more good fights? I think there are more good fights (Quanity of good fights), I just think that all fights feel less consequential as a result.

also as you get older and just watch the sport more you will generally get less excited for things. It's a factor as well, The mystifying wonder of mma might bewaring off, as it does on most. I used to watch everyfight with incredible ernest, thinking anyone I'm watching could be a future champion. I know better now, a part of the whole thing. Im sure you know already.

Back