News The Federal Trade Commission just banned all "non-compete" provisions in employment contracts. This has implications for UFC fighters.

0d014e79d202a723e221ee4e46d5e899.jpg

I dont think UFC fighters are "employees" or workers and this likely wouldnt apply to them. Either that or Dana will retitle what the fighters fall under. They arent stupid.

Hopefully the FTC mentions contractual basis of non competes as well as employment

E.g. closed any loopholes

Surely this came up

I mean, what does this affect? That one year period after a fighter's contract ends where the UFC can match any other offer before they move on to another promotion?
Besides that, it's still perfectly reasonable that you wouldn't let your employees work directly for your competitor while under contract in any business which this doesn't change.

Does it extend to independent contractors I guess is the real question?

Do they have non compete clauses? They have matching clauses which they mostly never use, but are they the same thing legally?

I mean, what does this affect? That one year period after a fighter's contract ends where the UFC can match any other offer before they move on to another promotion?
Besides that, it's still perfectly reasonable that you wouldn't let your employees work directly for your competitor while under contract in any business which this doesn't change.
It would depend on wording but it is possible that the UFC contract that says they cannot fight for another organization might be void.
Potentially this means that the guys at the bottom could take fights in other orgs for whatever they pay. And the guys at the top may be able to go get beat in boxing.

Last edited:
It would depend on wording but it is possible that the UFC contract that says they cannot fight for another organization might be void.
Potentially this means is that the guys at the bottom could take fights in other orgs for whatever they pay. And the guys at the top may be able to go get beat in boxing.
I suppose. Might be a career ending move, though. UFC can tell them to go pound up their ass after doing that and they'll forever be in the b-leagues. First few fighters with a name are probably going to get burned doing this but maybe it'll become normal.

Does it extend to independent contractors I guess is the real question?
The wording seemingly makes sure to extend it to any worker instead of just employees, so hopefully it does.

Even if it extends to UFC fighters who are classified as "independent contractors", the UFC has locked many of them into long contracts which are next to impossible to get out of.

Back