The Forgotten Fighters of the Past

Deep cut: Trevor Prangley

Deep cut: Trevor Prangley
Funny story about Trevor Prangley.

I attended a show in PA,in 2007 under the BodogFight banner,and Prangley fought Yuki Kondo.

The drunk idiotic crowd kept chanting USA! USA! USA!

Prangley is from South Africa.

I remember ordering this on Direct tv up here in canada way back (you could buy usa satellite dishes and get usa programing). Big John did more damage to Brian.

Didn't he have some neck issues that forced him to retire?
It was a stroke

Hell, Im getting sentimental…I watched that UFC with a training partner..he’s in fight finder. Larry Parker. I just could not beat this guy…but it was good practice…. I’m starting to get Denver homesick.

That’s pretty cool! I see that he fought some pretty solid names in Buentello, Fulton, Shoji and Ritch. Were you training with him during the time of any of those fights?

That’s pretty cool! I see that he fought some pretty solid names in Buentello, Fulton, Shoji and Ritch. Were you training with him during the time of any of those fights?

No, early on. But you could see even then, he was headed for bigger/better things. And obviously, he didn’t become Jon Jones…but even being a winning regional MMA guy…you got to be a badass. He was so strong, even at 220, he could bench 400, if I remember correctly.

Something that I’ve noted about myself is that I have an affinity for the old school UFC vets, who didn’t necessarily stick out to the average fans of the time. I wanted to take some time to note some of these fighters and would love to hear some that come to mind for you.

1) Joe “The Ghetto Man” Charles (UFC record 2-2)
Big Joe was an early Judo practitioner who did surprisingly well in the UFC for those times. He started out his UFC career by submitting Rosier with an armbar in 14 seconds before being easily defeated by Severn. He was one of those guys who could brawl a bit but preferred to aggressively pursue submissions, however many times it was to his own detriment as he put himself in compromising positions and would be submitted himself.

2) Andre “The Chief” Roberts (UFC record 2-1)
The Chief debuted in the UFC dispatching “Dirty” Harry with an elbow but is probably best known for his comeback win against Waterman where he took an absolute beating for the better part of the round before rocking and eventually finishing him. It’s noted that his rationale for pushing through adversity in that fight was due to his previous loss to Goodrige in which he quickly tapped after his nose was broken in the opening seconds of the fight. The Chief wrestled relatively well and knew how to use his size against his opponents. I remember looking around some forums and one of his previous opponents,( Jim Axtell I believe) stated that the Chief was so strong and squeezed him so hard that he s*** himself lol.

3) Brian “Fury” Johnston (UFC record 2-4)
Johnston is credited with laying the foundation for what AKA is today. I remember when growing up, the UFC would always play the greatest knockouts and one that always stood out to me was Johnston’s win over Nasri. The guy seemed like an absolute monster and I thought he was a world beater. Johnson seemed like he had all the potential to be an early star in the UFC as he had the look, could grapple a bit and could kickbox however, he could never get over the hump against the elites of his time in Coleman, Shamrock, and Frye.

I never heard of any of these dudes. Thanks for bringing them to light.

And obviously, he didn’t become Jon Jones…but even being a winning regional MMA guy…you got to be a badass. He was so strong, even at 220, he could bench 400, if I remember correctly.

Oh I get it, it’s guys I’ve trained with in the past who were absolute beasts in the gym and would do well in the regional scene but would struggle in larger promotions such as Bellator and the UFC. It really makes me appreciate how tough the fighters we watch are and acknowledge that it’s truly levels to this game.

There was a period of about 2 weeks back in the day that people thought Brad Kohler was going to be something

There was a period of about 2 weeks back in the day that people thought Brad Kohler was going to be something

Lol I can see that, wasn’t he training at Hammerhouse at one point? Perhaps they thought he’d be the next Mark Coleman with punching power.

Definitely remember Telligman! It sucks that he was on the wrong end of the highlight when it came to his fight with Big Timmy because he was actually pretty skilled despite what the record shows.
And did you see Scott and Tank’s rematch some years ago in someone’s backyard? It was terrible lol

Remember back in the day everyone was looking forward to Ken Shamrock v Igor Vov.

Then Ken got injured, so Tre stepped in last minute and absolutely tooled Igor.

Was low key a quite significant shift in the MMA landscape, imo.

Sam Stout is my favorite former forgotten fighter

Back