Opinion The Great WR Debate: are you far-right or far-left?

You are....

• Total voters
I don't know why you are taking this stance when quick view of the definitions and thought about how the remaining communist countries operate would make it obvious that communism isn't anarchy.

I mean as cliché as it is to say, it's really because no country has actual tried or achieved "true" communism as it's been theorized.

Real communism there would be no state, it would be more of a union of trade unions.

@panem-et-circenses, maybe the most important divide here is summed up by Jon Rauch (in an otherwise very flawed piece):

Using polls and focus groups, Hibbing and Theiss-Morse found that between 25 and 40 percent of Americans (depending on how one measures) have a severely distorted view of how government and politics are supposed to work. ... Specifically, they believe that obvious, commonsense solutions to the country’s problems are out there for the plucking. The reason these obvious solutions are not enacted is that politicians are corrupt, or self-interested, or addicted to unnecessary partisan feuding. Not surprisingly, politiphobes think the obvious, commonsense solutions are the sorts of solutions that they themselves prefer. But the more important point is that they do not acknowledge that meaningful policy disagreement even exists. From that premise, they conclude that all the arguing and partisanship and horse-trading that go on in American politics are entirely unnecessary. Politicians could easily solve all our problems if they would only set aside their craven personal agendas.

If politicians won’t do the job, then who will? Politiphobes, according to Hibbing and Theiss-Morse, believe policy should be made not by messy political conflict and negotiations but by ensids: empathetic, non-self-interested decision makers. These are leaders who will step forward, cast aside cowardly politicians and venal special interests, and implement long-overdue solutions. ensids can be politicians, technocrats, or autocrats—whatever works. Whether the process is democratic is not particularly important.

The group that he calls "politiphobes" can be on the left or right, depending on what they think the obvious solutions are, but they are generally horrible either way (they often think that rules of civility don't apply to them since by definition anyone who disagrees with them is corrupt).

Last edited:
I mean as cliché as it is to say, it's really because no country has actual tried or achieved "true" communism as it's been theorized.

Real communism there would be no state, it would be more of a union of trade unions.

My aunt would be a bicycle if she had wheels. But she don't. So she isn't.

Shocked to see more far right posters in the majority, never would have guessed. Likely the constant embarrassment showcased by the Biden Administration and the economic climate he's helped create.

Shocked to see more far right posters in the majority, never would have guessed. Likely the constant embarrassment showcased by the Biden Administration and the economic climate he's helped create.

I am not shocked to see someone that identifies with the far right thinks there's some useful information to be gained from a lighthearted joke poll on a karate forum.

I mean as cliché as it is to say, it's really because no country has actual tried communism as it's been theorized.

There was a short story appended to the back of Notes from Underground, I wish I could remember its name right now, but basically it was Russia in the future, everyone lived in these centrally heated glass buildings, goods were shipped from around the world, there were no jobs or money, people just kind of making things and shipping things and spending their lives in leisure. Even in the book there weren't many people left in Russia because of the cold climate, because there were no borders populations kind of just drifted around. Really the ideology of a luxury prison.

Why do people need to be "far" anything?

That's right, Murricans can't help themselves to draw a line in the sand and make everything black and white.
Reminds me of a game I played when I was younger where the only difficulty settings were "super easy" and "super hard"

Disagree strongly with this. The left-right spectrum isn't inherently connected to capitalism at all. It's increasingly common these days to see anti-market rightists (who tend to be very far to the right--think of JD Vance, for example). Support for markets is very much compatible with far-left views. Look at Norway, which has two huge SWFs and three-quarters of non-home wealth that is publicly owned but also very market-friendly policies. The tendency to connect markets with the political spectrum is an artifact of the Cold War, which has been over for decades now.
I think you misunderstand. The article is not about the right/left distinction; it's about the left/liberal distinction. The other part involving the right is just about how it's hard to get American right wingers to take note of the difference. You yourself said exactly what the author is saying in relation to the effectiveness of capitalism. Edit: that is, in the sense a liberal believes the free market is the way to go even if it needs work, compared with a leftist who wants to see it torn down and replaced entirely.

Edit: or I may have jumped the gun by not giving your post a thorough read before replying.

Last edited:
Not directly, you mean? You still get it filtered, even if you don't read anything but the WR (in fact, only reading the WR would probably give you an even more distorted picture of reality than only watching Fox).

@Rob Battisti Hey Rob, the poster who said "Biden is a terrific president" thinks you are too stupid to filter out distorted information

Back