The hardest hitting LW right now is

You could be right. Maybe it's a bit of recency bias (Chalder melting Hooker, Gaethje unable to put Tony away) on my part but I still favor Chandler in sheer punching power right now because of how awesome of an athlete the guy is. Him being short and having that low center of gravity contributes greatly to it as well.

Depends what you mean by "away". Gaethje didn't KO him, but he did stop him with strikes.

Based on what
Maybe based on 19 of his 22 wins being by Knockout and also Knocking out some pretty high calibre fighters, Gaethje has faced tougher opposition then Chandler and has knocked guys out with simple looking shots wheareas Chandlers throwing his whole body into overhands and still not knocking guys out stiff, Hooker for example

Chandler threw his whole bodyweight into that left, kind of how Petr Yan does. Gaethje doesn’t overcommit to punches in favor of keeping them tight and fast.

Based on what
Based on Vick and Barboza stoppages IMO. Those guys were dead before they hit the mat with one shot. Hooker wasn't, after many shots (and a real sweet one to start it all off at that).

I'd still say Gaethje hits harder

Nah, Gaethje's power is extremely overrated. Don't get me wrong, he hits hard and his power needs to be considered in every fight, but he gets TKOs, not KOs. It's not something game changing.

In the UFC he's only KO'd Barboza and Vick. Barboza was caught with a monstrous, perfectly set up punch that had anybody thrown and landed like that would score a KO, and James Vick is James Vick lol. Johnson, Cerrone, and Ferguson weren't KOs, and really Johnson and Ferguson were both simply accumulation/wilting, not even TKOs. Meanwhile Poirier and Eddie, who don't have the best chins, survived him fine despite taking big punches. Khabib's the only one he's fought with a great chin and nothing Gaethje threw remotely effected him.

His power is good, but it's his constant pressure and toughness that is the bigger contributing factor. He just keeps in your face throwing, despite what you hit him with, and the accumulation is what gets them. It's make or break for Justin. For instance he should've lost the Johnson fight given just how often Johnson kept tagging him, but he just stayed in there and Johnson eventually wilted first. Meanwhile when Poirier, Eddie, and Khabib didn't he eventually did.

I've watched Tony's entire UFC career. It was clearly the most damage he ever took in a fight. Technically, he was not dropped. Technically, Benny Paret was never dropped in his rubber match with Emile Griffith. However he fucking DIED after the fight.

Maxim Dadashev not only never went down in his fight with Subriel Matias, his corner threw in the towel and he argued against them doing so before he died. The idea that a fighter not getting dropped is the end all be all of damage is fucking ridiculous and I can provide even more examples of that than the two I already laid out which can make the case on their own. The expression "out on his feet" exists for a reason.

cool story, bro.

my point was, saying Tony nearly got killed by JG was silly hyperbole. And it didn't lend to the question of JG being a harder hitter than Chandler.

not an invitation for your useless ramble.

but cheers, anyway

Depends on the suplex, you can generally sneak your head out one side, or turn slightly so one shoulder is more angled towards the ground than the other.

The other guy breaks a lot of your fall as well.

But yeah, sometimes you just land on your head lol. It generally hurts the other guy more though.
Thank you, uncle.

Thank you, uncle.
maxresdefault.jpg

You could be right. Maybe it's a bit of recency bias (Chalder melting Hooker, Gaethje unable to put Tony away) on my part but I still favor Chandler in sheer punching power right now because of how awesome of an athlete the guy is. Him being short and having that low center of gravity contributes greatly to it as well.

Absolutely. He made use of his physical advantages. He certainly knows how to generate power.
I've always suspected him of being on the sauce. He's proved me wrong so far, Usada wise

Id say Eddie Alvarez disagrees

tumblr_n26slsdLdq1ry1rm7o2_r1_400.gif

tumblr_n26slsdLdq1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Gaethje couldnt drop him once despite landing 70 shots to the head. Chandler had him dropped, rocked and nearly finished from sturikes like 4-5 times. And Chandlers punching technique is much better now with Hooft than it was then

Gaethje mostly gets knockouts from accumulation. He's only flat out KO'd Dan Lauzon, Edson and Vick. Lauzon hasn't fought good competition as far as sturikers to really rate his chin. Vick has a glass jaw. He caught Edson right on the button circling into his power. It was more placement than flat power. Edson, Cowboy and Vick are his only knockdowns in UFC unless you count Johnson wilting/breaking from the last knew and even then he was more beat up from accumulation. Tony, Baboon, Eddie, Michael, Firmino, Dustin etc.took a lot of his best punches and went on until the accumulation took over. Even Firmino was a doc stoppage

Chandler dropped Eddie 4-5 times and had him near out a couple times. His punches did visibly more damage than Gaethjes did and the version of Eddie that Gaethje fought already had a far more damaged chin. Chandler has KOd Patricky, Benson, Outlaw, Rickels (even MVP couldn't) out stiff and nearly to Hooker too

Gaethje only has more power in his kicks. Chandler has significantly more power in his hands.
imagine getting that combo in and still finishing that round together

tenor.gif

Back