The last time MTV was cool

Probably when Ja Rule made sense of everything.

I thought MTV was cool in the 90's because it was the only place where you could easily watch music videos all the time. I have never been that into music but people would have it on as background when we were doing other things. I thought of it as American and pop culture and cool.

I probably just aged out of watching it. I never watched any of the reality programs MTV did. It was a surprise to me when they announced that they would not actually show music videos anymore. I guess youtube killed that.

The explanation I read for the move from music to reality tv shows is that music videos were not good at holding attention. People would channel surf away when they did not like a certain video. Reality stuff was also cheap and it held attention better. Not sure if true but it makes sense.

I doubt that the brand means anything to people under 30. Maybe even 35.

Paramount has not even tried to sell it separately which says a lot about how little value is has now.

MTV was still super cool in the 90s.

Early 00s it was kind of so-so. Still ok, but it's when they started getting into reality TV.

And not long after that it went to shit. I think well before 2015.
Yep. The Real World signaled the beginning of the end for MTV as the keeper & tastemaker of culture. Simple as that. That immediately transformed them from a curator and conveyor to a passive observer. It wasn't about the music, anymore.

Although I'm not sure there's anything they could have done to have averted their own downfall. YouTube loomed no matter what.

Last edited:
When YouTube launched in 2005 it gradually made MTV irrelevant, as more and more music videos were uploaded onto the site. Here in Ireland, MTV has a couple of channels including MTV 90s and MTV 80s. There's also some other music channels that are not owned by MTV.

Will they all eventually shutdown? I wouldn't be surprised if they did tbh.

Don't feel too bad man. You're still a spectacular failure to me!
Go lay down noob you arent even worthy to be in my thread much less speak to me.You cant even come up with a cool av that says all I need to know about you.

When YouTube launched in 2005 it gradually made MTV irrelevant, as more and more music videos were uploaded onto the site. Here in Ireland, MTV has a couple of channels including MTV 90s and MTV 80s. There's also some other music channels that are not owned by MTV.

ACDC is coming there August 17, 2024 Dublin, Ireland Croke Park . You are a lucky man to live somewhere close to where they are coming.

ACDC is coming there August 17, 2024 Dublin, Ireland Croke Park . You are a lucky man to live somewhere close to where they are coming.

Cool, I did know that they are going to play in Croke Park. I'm not really familiar with their music. What's their best songs?

Cool, I did know that they are going to play in Croke Park. I'm not really familiar with their music. What's their best songs?
They have so many its hard to count. I would not be where I am today if I hadnt started listening to them so I hope to god they come here. This will be my third time seeing them if they do. I coulda saw them in Fort Lauderdale but AXL was singing for them.

They have so many its hard to count. I would not be where I am today if I hadnt started listening to them so I hope to god they come here. This will be my third time seeing them if they do. I coulda saw them in Fort Lauderdale but AXL was singing for them.

I prefer indoor concerts, cause the sound is better quality.

90s was peak era MTV. I still remember when MTV came to Waikiki Beach near the Duke statue with Daisy Fuentes. I think it was MTV Spring Break, but I can't remember. The beach was jammed pack and wild. They had a pretty decent presence in Hawaii for a while since MTV Beach House was filmed in Hawaii as well as The Grind several times. Miss the days of Yo MTV Raps!

Probably mid 90s when It peaked.

Unplugged performances , Beavis and Butthead, Headbangers Ball, Yo MTV Raps..

MTV channels are as relevant today as a vhs tape.

What's crazy is MTV still has the VMAs Award show and they haven't played music videos for decades. They need to shut that network down.
They produce solid TV shows like Yellowstone and Mayor of Kingstown. It's a totally different animal now.

I loved TRL and all the weird shows like Rob & Big, Next, Room Raiders, True Life and Fanatic.

they currently exist as a zombie channel during the last gasp of the pay (cable) tv era.

without the cable bundle, the value for MTV as a channel drops precipitously.

Paramount is up for sale. Any buyer is likely going to sell off the linear assets to a PE buyer. BET and CBS have value. Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and MTV will probably be bundled as part of the sale. I think the channel exists as long as there is a long tail to the US cable system.

After that? Once prominent magazine brands like Sports Illustrated are probably the blueprint. Old brands that get sold and re-sold and sold again to a series of less and less impressive buyers.

That is my guess

Pgtkt.gif

Back