The Length of the Topuria Era?

jk7707

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Is there any fighter at any of the nearby weight classes currently on the UFC roster that you'd favor over Topuria? What is the formula to beat him?

Is there any fighter at any of the nearby weight classes currently on the UFC roster that you'd favor over Topuria? What is the formula to beat him?

I need to see his cardio tested by a top notch pressure fighter IE either Max or Evloev, and I need to see him fight a lengthy technical striker since he's pretty reliant on getting on the inside to effectively strike and has had his shit rocked by lanky guys twice now by head kicks, so maybe a Yair type guy. From there? Well 145lbs globally is arguably the deepest division but in the UFC its always been terrible. Why the UFC wasn't willing to shell out money to sign AJ McKee or Salahdine Parnasse is just sad, plus they let Bellator sign elite prospects like Timur Khizriev and Khasan Magomedsharipov...while they sign fucking 7-2 contender series chaff.

Anyways, I'd like to see Topuria vs Evloev and or Max, then we will get a real good idea. The win vs Volk was amazing but otherwise his competition hasn't been great, decent sure, but Volk was 35 and went from 145 to 155, back to 145, had surgery, back up to 155 where he was violently knocked out on short notice and claimed he was heavily drinking and then...he went back down to 145lbs to face Ilia. Volks a smart guy but that's some of the worst career decisions fucking ever. It's fine to question how much this was Ilia being amazing and Volk declining. That said, Ilia is super young, undefeated and an insanely gifted athlete, he has the makings to go on a long run potentially. I still gotta Lotta questions though.

He was close to going out here after an early head kick. Hilbert is a giant and was doing well, but Topuria got that one hitter quitter. The fight was also at 155.

I saw that fight. Herbert frustrated him early being much bigger and having the length to take advantage of it. Topuria isn't even a big FW, so getting hurt, coming back, and scoring a highlight reel KO himself is a solid feather in his cap IMO.

Max could beat him, Yair would be a good fight, lots of LWs would beat him, O'Malley would be a good fight, Merab would probably do what he normally does and win a decision.

I saw that fight. Herbert frustrated him early being much bigger and having the length to take advantage of it. Topuria isn't even a big FW, so getting hurt, coming back, and scoring a highlight reel KO himself is a solid feather in his cap IMO.

I'd say it's all a negative. Jai Herbert is a12-5-1 regional fighter with no potential that the UFC foolishly signed. Ilia was what? A 5 to 1 favorite in that fight? We're talking about one of the best prospects in the sport and an amazing pure athlete...He wasn't supposed to get frustrated and almost knocked out even a division up vs a gangly guy. We watched Allen smoke Dan Hooker for fucks sake. Steven Goncalves also dropped him with a headkick, even Bryce seemed to frustrate him with kicks.

He also absolutely 1 shot deaded Goncalves too though. Ilia seems to have good recovery.

ilia-topuria.gif

I'd say it's all a negative. Jai Herbert is a12-5-1 regional fighter with no potential that the UFC foolishly signed. Ilia was what? A 5 to 1 favorite in that fight? We're talking about one of the best prospects in the sport and an amazing pure athlete...He wasn't supposed to get frustrated and almost knocked out even a division up vs a gangly guy. We watched Allen smoke Dan Hooker for fucks sake. Steven Goncalves also dropped him with a headkick, even Bryce seemed to frustrate him with kicks.

He also absolutely 1 shot deaded Goncalves too though. Ilia seems to have good recovery.

ilia-topuria.gif

If you say so. He got hurt by a guy who he stepped up a weight class to fight on short notice, and ended up finishing him with a highlight reel KO.

We watched Allen smoke Hooker, at 145. If Allen was the one to move up to fight Hooker, I highly doubt it goes the same.

He's a great boxer, but I think Oliviera if he got his back or Islam if he smothered him would be a problem. Great fighter though- impressive setup for the finish.

Max could beat him, Yair would be a good fight, lots of LWs would beat him, O'Malley would be a good fight, Merab would probably do what he normally does and win a decision.

I would love to see him fight Max next. But I don't see Max as a huge threat. He would definitely touch Topuria up, but Topuria has a massive speed and power advantage, as well as a strong wrestling game in his back pocket. He'd bully Yair into an easy win. Sure, there are plenty of LW who might beat him. He's not a LW right now.

The thing is that basically all of the top guys minus Volk and Emmett are fresh matchups, so there’s a lot of different styles to face and see how he handles them. I‘d like to see him in there w someone who is tough enough to take some damage and still be able to push him in the later rounds to see how he looks when someone just won’t go away

<WhatItIs>

I need to see his cardio tested by a top notch pressure fighter IE either Max or Evloev, and I need to see him fight a lengthy technical striker since he's pretty reliant on getting on the inside to effectively strike and has had his shit rocked by lanky guys twice now by head kicks, so maybe a Yair type guy. From there? Well 145lbs globally is arguably the deepest division but in the UFC its always been terrible. Why the UFC wasn't willing to shell out money to sign AJ McKee or Salahdine Parnasse is just sad, plus they let Bellator sign elite prospects like Timur Khizriev and Khasan Magomedsharipov...while they sign fucking 7-2 contender series chaff.

Anyways, I'd like to see Topuria vs Evloev and or Max, then we will get a real good idea. The win vs Volk was amazing but otherwise his competition hasn't been great, decent sure, but Volk was 35 and went from 145 to 155, back to 145, had surgery, back up to 155 where he was violently knocked out on short notice and claimed he was heavily drinking and then...he went back down to 145lbs to face Ilia. Volks a smart guy but that's some of the worst career decisions fucking ever. It's fine to question how much this was Ilia being amazing and Volk declining. That said, Ilia is super young, undefeated and an insanely gifted athlete, he has the makings to go on a long run potentially. I still gotta Lotta questions though.
Give him Max and then Yair (if he beats Ortega). I said before the fight that I was against the Max/Gaethje matchup. I had a feeling Ilia would win and now Max vs Ilia is the fight to make. I also couldn't agree more that it's fair game to point out Volk's recent choices, behavior etc.... It's a big reason I picked Ilia aside from how talented Ilia is. Topuria's boxing is for real and the Max matchup is something i'm salivating for because of it. The Yair matchup with Ilia is also intriguing to me because of Yair's height and kicking game.

Back