Movies THE MARVELS (Dragonlord's Review; Worst MCU Second-Weekend Drop with 78%)

If you have seen THE MARVELS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
As soon as I saw the trailer, I said "dog crap". Girl power yay! Interracial Girl power even better! lmao

Looks like Disney may be done with the woke writers and diversity hires with the strike and new bargaining agreement which gives writers more power in hiring. So the studios won't take a chance on anyone but established writers with a history of success. They see the damage hiring on diversity instead of quality has done. And with this bomb, and The Snow White bomb coming, as well as all the failed TV shows, its time to get in front of it and make quality again. The fans will benefit. How many times are we burnt before we stop consuming the product?

“This apparent restructuring could mean eliminating diversity hires and a stronger focus on the individual’s experience, skillset, and salary requirements,”
The new agreement (MBA) states that every showrunner has to be a union writer. It also states that the showrunner has increased power when it comes to selecting and hiring a staff of writers. This, according to Campbell, means that Marvel will have far less decision-making ability when it comes to choosing writers who will create the stories within their films and television series.

Marvel’s Plan to Counter the Negative Effects of the Agreement
According to Campbell, Marvel plans to focus heavily on higher-quality content. Rather than spending time making pilots to test with audiences, the studio will instead approve new series, write new series, and produce new series–all with no audience input ahead of a release. Since there will be far less proverbial room for error, Marvel will be forced to hire only experienced writers and producers.

Campbell suggests that such pressure on Marvel to hire only the best of the best will ultimately result in the studio’s abandonment of a focus on diversity in age, background, gender, or ethnicity when it comes to hiring new writers, as they will most likely be laser-focused on hiring only those writers and producers who already have successful television shows to their credit.

Disney Division to Reportedly Stop Hiring "Woke" Writers as Massive Changes Take Over - Disney Dining

As soon as I saw the trailer, I said "dog crap". Girl power yay! Interracial Girl power even better! lmao

Looks like Disney may be done with the woke writers and diversity hires with the strike and new bargaining agreement which gives writers more power in hiring. So the studios won't take a chance on anyone but established writers with a history of success. They see the damage hiring on diversity instead of quality has done. And with this bomb, and The Snow White bomb coming, as well as all the failed TV shows, its time to get in front of it and make quality again. The fans will benefit. How many times are we burnt before we stop consuming the product?

“This apparent restructuring could mean eliminating diversity hires and a stronger focus on the individual’s experience, skillset, and salary requirements,”
The new agreement (MBA) states that every showrunner has to be a union writer. It also states that the showrunner has increased power when it comes to selecting and hiring a staff of writers. This, according to Campbell, means that Marvel will have far less decision-making ability when it comes to choosing writers who will create the stories within their films and television series.

Marvel’s Plan to Counter the Negative Effects of the Agreement
According to Campbell, Marvel plans to focus heavily on higher-quality content. Rather than spending time making pilots to test with audiences, the studio will instead approve new series, write new series, and produce new series–all with no audience input ahead of a release. Since there will be far less proverbial room for error, Marvel will be forced to hire only experienced writers and producers.

Campbell suggests that such pressure on Marvel to hire only the best of the best will ultimately result in the studio’s abandonment of a focus on diversity in age, background, gender, or ethnicity when it comes to hiring new writers, as they will most likely be laser-focused on hiring only those writers and producers who already have successful television shows to their credit.

Disney Division to Reportedly Stop Hiring "Woke" Writers as Massive Changes Take Over - Disney Dining
Why was this even a thing in the first place? I can’t imagine being a company worth that much and not making talent the priority. Anyway I doubt they get me interested again, don’t have the time to catch up on all these crap tv shows and movies

Larson has a legit beef though . This should of been her movie alone as Cpt Marvel. To call it "the marvels" and include the other 2 for no other reason than Woke girl power. CM1 was actually not terrible . Have a CM movie alone then give Rambeau her own series , and just 86 Ms Marvel from existence.

I hate End Game so much!
Its nothing but lazy writing and cheap cop outs and lucky coincidences that completely contradict each other in the same damn movie!
Infinity War was such a beautiful masterpiece and to have it completely ruined by that steamy pile that came next will haunt me til the day I die

"Its all good, Im just better now" - The Hulk

SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even mind end game because of that stuff I just thought it was a boring movie. Nothing can top Infinity War honestly. It has so many WTF moments. At the end when Spiderman is telling Tony "I don't want to go" that shit was sad as fuck.

Not sure if I'll watch this or not. Me and my wife haven't missed a marvel movie in theaters in years but this might be the first.

Why was this even a thing in the first place? I can’t imagine being a company worth that much and not making talent the priority. Anyway I doubt they get me interested again, don’t have the time to catch up on all these crap tv shows and movies
I think it started from a good thing (diversity, equal opportunity) and turned into woke bullshit. It has gotten so silly that even the lowest IQ viewers got insulted. Dragonlord is pretty even keeled and right on with his takes. If he says it sucks, it does. When you choose writers and cast on ANYTHING besides best for the job, the quality will suffer. We have had writers and directors openly admit they want to make things as "Gay as possible" or as "Black as possible". Writers with agendas like that will not get these big gigs anymore.

Got tickets for Saturday. Watching for Brie, really. Love her in Lessons in Chemistry. Any positives will be a bonus even if they are few.

Now I appreciate you taking one for the team but in this case it probably wasnt needed. Dont think anyone was excited to go watch this. You do need some kind of medal for your services.

I hate End Game so much!
Its nothing but lazy writing and cheap cop outs and lucky coincidences that completely contradict each other in the same damn movie!
Infinity War was such a beautiful masterpiece and to have it completely ruined by that steamy pile that came next will haunt me til the day I die

"Its all good, Im just better now" - The Hulk

SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!!

The scene where starlord punches thanos and wakes him up right before they get the gauntlet off him still bothers me. So much of the flicks set up the sacrifice she makes to stop him and the man who supposedly loves and respects her totally negates it all for a completely selfish and pointless punch.

Update: November 7, 2023

Dragonlord’s Review of THE MARVELS
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Marvel Studios’ quality decline continues with The Marvels, a humdrum, convoluted space escapade overshadowed by the ending and mid-credits scenes.

b7okZqU.jpg

In The Marvels, Carol Danvers (Brie Larson), Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) and Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani) are forced to team up when their powers become entangled that causes a body switch. on paper, the switcheroo premise sounds fun but it just wasn’t cleverly written and quickly got old in the movie. The female trio has to stop Dar-Benn (Zawe Ashton), a Kree revolutionary trying to restore the Kree empire by stealing other world’s natural resources, specifically worlds that Carol Danvers cares about.

The revenge story is actually solid and I see potential if it was executed properly. This story is better suited as a third Captain Marvel movie. In The Marvels, they reveal through a very brief flashback scene on how Carol lay sieged to the Kree capital of Hala and eventually destroyed the Supreme Intelligence which inadvertently caused a civil war which ravaged the Kree homeworld. This should have been the second Captain Marvel movie but Marvel Studios has a bad habit of fast-forwarding events and story arcs. As someone said, “Details matter. They create depth, and depth creates authenticity.”

Going into the film, I really thought Iman Vellani was going to steal the movie (which she sadly didn’t) but oddly enough Brie Larson was the more likable among the three main characters. A vast improvement over her smug, off-putting persona in 2019’s Captain Marvel, Brie shows a more humble, softer side to her character especially her initial awkward interactions with Monica which was kinda endearing. Her action scenes involving flying and blasting spaceships are still unfortunately boring.

Iman had some cute moments and was overall a pleasant addition to the film. Teyonah Parris was okay. Honestly, I was not a big fan of her in WandaVision. Somebody like Maisie Richardson-Sellers or Nathalie Emmanuel would have been a better Monica Rambeau in my opinion.

The main villain Dar-Benn did not work for me due to the actress Zawe Ashton. She just lacked the personality, charisma or screen presence to pull it off. Personally, I also found her face not so appealing (Sorry, Mr. Hiddleston). There are so many great actresses out there that would have been a better fit. Top of my head, Gwendoline Christie would have been great as Dar-Benn.

After starring in my worst MCU project ever made (Secret Invasion), Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury is back. Fury is likable enough in this film, acting like a friendlier version of the character. But I miss the edgier, cooler Fury. The planned MCU Blade reboot is most likely going to be bad, Marvel should just pivot and recast Nick Fury as Mahershala Ali. Think of Mahershala’s performance and presence in Alita: Battle Angel. That is how Nick Fury should look and act.

The action involving the body switch was in most parts distracting and confusing. Captain Marvel’s costume in the first half of the movie looked great. But for some stupid reason, they changed it to a duller, drab-looking, almost colorless outfit in the second half. Don’t the people in charge of this film have eyes??

The three main heroes had some nice chemistry together but could have been way better, maybe add in more friction for Carol and Monica. For the most part, the film has a lackluster, by-the-numbers vibe but there are a select few scenes where the film veers off into the weird and wacky, specifically during the singing planet and the flerken incident near the end. I feel the film should have just fully dived in and embraced the wackiness rather than ending up with a duller outcome.

With a runtime of 105 minutes, The Marvels is the shortest movie in the MCU. Even with the extra theater screening it frees up, this film will still fail at the box office. Aside from people getting tired of the decline of the quality in the MCU, putting two TV characters in the main spotlight whom the general public still do not know nor care about was a mistake. They should have just made a straight Captain Marvel sequel. With a reported budget of $270 million, The Marvels will likely go down as one of the MCU’s biggest flop in history.

PRELIMINARY RATING: 5/10

The ending shows Kate Bishop in full costume coming home to her apartment after a night of crimefighting. Kamala Khan is there sitting in the dark. She has a S.A.B.E.R. tablet with her showing Kate’s profile. Kamala channels her inner Nick Fury and tries to recruit Kate for a new team, presumably Young Avengers.

The mid-credits scene shows Monica waking up to another universe where she is greeted by Binary (Lashana Lynch) and Beast (voiced by Kelsey Grammar). The X-Men animated series theme music plays in the background (or maybe it was the X-Men live-action theme). We also see the iconic metallic X doorway.

Eh. Not feeling it. These cheap multiverse fan service does not excite me. Give me a good X-Men movie first, then I will get excited with its future. Same goes for a potential Young Avengers movie. Provide a good movie or TV show about the Young Avengers first before I start caring.

(Please leave a Like if you appreciate my reviews.)
Judging by your history of reviews a 5/10 from you would be around 2/10 from me, so hard pass.
Thanks for your efforts, you always deliver quality content!

Even Brie knows it sucks and doesn't give af anymore when you look at her body language(I'm a shookologist, trust me) during interviews.

Update: November 7, 2023

Dragonlord’s Review of THE MARVELS
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Marvel Studios’ quality decline continues with The Marvels, a humdrum, convoluted space escapade overshadowed by the ending and mid-credits scenes.

b7okZqU.jpg

In The Marvels, Carol Danvers (Brie Larson), Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) and Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani) are forced to team up when their powers become entangled that causes a body switch. on paper, the switcheroo premise sounds fun but it just wasn’t cleverly written and quickly got old in the movie. The female trio has to stop Dar-Benn (Zawe Ashton), a Kree revolutionary trying to restore the Kree empire by stealing other world’s natural resources, specifically worlds that Carol Danvers cares about.

The revenge story is actually solid and I see potential if it was executed properly. This story is better suited as a third Captain Marvel movie. In The Marvels, they reveal through a very brief flashback scene on how Carol lay sieged to the Kree capital of Hala and eventually destroyed the Supreme Intelligence which inadvertently caused a civil war which ravaged the Kree homeworld. This should have been the second Captain Marvel movie but Marvel Studios has a bad habit of fast-forwarding events and story arcs. As someone said, “Details matter. They create depth, and depth creates authenticity.”

Going into the film, I really thought Iman Vellani was going to steal the movie (which she sadly didn’t) but oddly enough Brie Larson was the more likable among the three main characters. A vast improvement over her smug, off-putting persona in 2019’s Captain Marvel, Brie shows a more humble, softer side to her character especially her initial awkward interactions with Monica which was kinda endearing. Her action scenes involving flying and blasting spaceships are still unfortunately boring.

Iman had some cute moments and was overall a pleasant addition to the film. Teyonah Parris was okay. Honestly, I was not a big fan of her in WandaVision. Somebody like Maisie Richardson-Sellers or Nathalie Emmanuel would have been a better Monica Rambeau in my opinion.

The main villain Dar-Benn did not work for me due to the actress Zawe Ashton. She just lacked the personality, charisma or screen presence to pull it off. Personally, I also found her face not so appealing (Sorry, Mr. Hiddleston). There are so many great actresses out there that would have been a better fit. Top of my head, Gwendoline Christie would have been great as Dar-Benn.

After starring in my worst MCU project ever made (Secret Invasion), Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury is back. Fury is likable enough in this film, acting like a friendlier version of the character. But I miss the edgier, cooler Fury. The planned MCU Blade reboot is most likely going to be bad, Marvel should just pivot and recast Nick Fury as Mahershala Ali. Think of Mahershala’s performance and presence in Alita: Battle Angel. That is how Nick Fury should look and act.

The action involving the body switch was in most parts distracting and confusing. Captain Marvel’s costume in the first half of the movie looked great. But for some stupid reason, they changed it to a duller, drab-looking, almost colorless outfit in the second half. Don’t the people in charge of this film have eyes??

The three main heroes had some nice chemistry together but could have been way better, maybe add in more friction for Carol and Monica. For the most part, the film has a lackluster, by-the-numbers vibe but there are a select few scenes where the film veers off into the weird and wacky, specifically during the singing planet and the flerken incident near the end. I feel the film should have just fully dived in and embraced the wackiness rather than ending up with a duller outcome.

With a runtime of 105 minutes, The Marvels is the shortest movie in the MCU. Even with the extra theater screening it frees up, this film will still fail at the box office. Aside from people getting tired of the decline of the quality in the MCU, putting two TV characters in the main spotlight whom the general public still do not know nor care about was a mistake. They should have just made a straight Captain Marvel sequel. With a reported budget of $270 million, The Marvels will likely go down as one of the MCU’s biggest flop in history.

PRELIMINARY RATING: 5/10

The ending shows Kate Bishop in full costume coming home to her apartment after a night of crimefighting. Kamala Khan is there sitting in the dark. She has a S.A.B.E.R. tablet with her showing Kate’s profile. Kamala channels her inner Nick Fury and tries to recruit Kate for a new team, presumably Young Avengers.

The mid-credits scene shows Monica waking up to another universe where she is greeted by Binary (Lashana Lynch) and Beast (voiced by Kelsey Grammar). The X-Men animated series theme music plays in the background (or maybe it was the X-Men live-action theme). We also see the iconic metallic X doorway.

Eh. Not feeling it. These cheap multiverse fan service does not excite me. Give me a good X-Men movie first, then I will get excited with its future. Same goes for a potential Young Avengers movie. Provide a good movie or TV show about the Young Avengers first before I start caring.

(Please leave a Like if you appreciate my reviews.)
Did they show the Supreme Intelligence? And if so, how was it? It was Oscar Isaac wasn't it?

Back