Movies THE MARVELS (Dragonlord's Review; Worst MCU Second-Weekend Drop with 78%)

If you have seen THE MARVELS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Saw this yesterday (Sunday) at noon. The theatre I like to go to is in a small town nearby and even with big releases I've never seen the crowd full there. Though even by those low standards, there were only 4 people (including myself) in the theatre.

I don't watch Marvel movies (or Star Wars for that matter), with the same level of intensity that I see from most people. I'm a nerd and follow youtube channels like ScreenCrush to enhance my watches of those shows, but I reserve those harsher judgments & critiques for Historic Epics (like the upcoming Napoleon) and movies of that nature (to each their own). These type of movies, I just want to have fun and be entertained and The Marvels certainly accomplished that for me. I completely understand some of the valid criticisms as well, and @Dragonlordxxxxx laid out a fantastic review that is pretty hard to argue with.

I agree w/ him that there should have been a Captain Marvel 2 in-between that showed her destroying the Supreme Intelligence and dealing with the fallout/not being able to come home due to her actions. That would have made things in this feel heavier than the quick recap we got. Also, the film was incredibly short, which actually felt fine, but then again Marvel movies are supposed to feel like a giant spectacle so I'm slightly torn on that. Had this move been like 2.5-3 hours long, we probably would have had a more fleshed out villain and some better character developments between our three leads, but then again, would you want to watch this movie drag out for that long? I'm not sure, so I thought the time ultimately worked, but they clearly rushed things and just moved things along while skipping over some major things. I also saw someone in these comments mention that the scene w/ the Flerkens felt "Gunn-lite" and can't really argue with that either, in fact it made me think if that was Gunn-Lite then the entire singing city scene was "Waititi-Lite". Ultimately, this movie succeeded in making me like Captain Marvel more (I dislike her for the same reason I've never really enjoyed Superman, their both too OP), it humanized her a bit more and I thought the chemistry of the three Marvels was fun. I really enjoyed the post credits scene as well, the one thing I think all of these Marvel movies and shows have really been lacking is connectivity. They have just enough mentions, or small characters popping in to remind us that these are all together in this MCU, but with so many different characters and stars now it makes me wish there was even more crossovers. Where have the Eternals been, where is Moonlight, what's going on with Midnight Sons and a potential monsters corner of the universe? I understand all of these things take time to set up and make good, but at the same time, Phase 4 had more content in hours/minutes than the first three phases combined and that phase had no Avengers Team-Up style movie. Same with Phase 5, there are no Avenger style team ups slated until Phase 6, which just feels like a bit of a shame since they could be doing a bunch of different style of team ups like the previously mentioned Midnight Sons (doesn't have to be Avengers specifically). Oh, and that does remind me of one more criticism or critique of this movie, and that is Nick Fury. The show Secret Invasion really didn't live up to it's hype, but at least we got a solid performance from Fury. However, in this movie, he is like a total 180 from that. Do those events in SI take place after the movie? He's just way happier, and jokey, which is fine, but a total shift from where we just left him in SI, and maybe they could chalk it up to his wife, but then he didn't even seem concerned enough about her to mention her or worry about her when they were forced to evacuate. That doesn't really bother me but it is one of those little details that can stand out.

I remember being told that brie Larson could carry a billion dollar movie

Welp.

This Marvel movie doesn't have the advantage of playing after the biggest cliffhanger in the Marvel cinematic universe. And look at how well it did?

The actress is unlikable.

The character is op.

The story is a mess.

Welp.

This Marcel movie doesn't have the advantage of playing after the biggest cliffhanger in the marcel cinematic universe. And look at how well it did?

Honest question since I haven't seen it. Did they really make nick fury make out with an alien ?!

No, Nick Fury doesn't make out with an Alien in this film. In Secret Invasion it is revealed that his wife is actually a Skrull though, and they ended that show with him accepting her for who she really is (Skrull form and not human) and both leaving to the space station together. However, she is neither in the movie or even mentioned.

No, Nick Fury doesn't make out with an Alien in this film. In Secret Invasion it is revealed that his wife is actually a Skrull though, and they ended that show with him accepting her for who she really is (Skrull form and not human) and both leaving to the space station together. However, she is neither in the movie or even mentioned.
Thanks! At least it was a female alien.

I only saw these clips in the midst of reviews to this film.

Welp.

This Marvel movie doesn't have the advantage of playing after the biggest cliffhanger in the Marvel cinematic universe. And look at how well it did?

The actress is unlikable.

The character is op.

The story is a mess.
No, but he did shout “black girl magic!” to the token black chick.

Just watched it. It was ok, but the end credits scene did get me a bit excited for the future. Which is a problem. The movie was just an afterthought.

The biggest problems this phase has had in my opinion is they don't seem to be building towards anything.

Oh, and that does remind me of one more criticism or critique of this movie, and that is Nick Fury. The show Secret Invasion really didn't live up to it's hype, but at least we got a solid performance from Fury. However, in this movie, he is like a total 180 from that. Do those events in SI take place after the movie? He's just way happier, and jokey, which is fine, but a total shift from where we just left him in SI, and maybe they could chalk it up to his wife, but then he didn't even seem concerned enough about her to mention her or worry about her when they were forced to evacuate. That doesn't really bother me but it is one of those little details that can stand out.
The likely reason for why the Fury in The Marvels is different from Secret Invasion is that The Marvels was supposed to come out before Secret Invasion. Good write-up btw.

I really hate Disney+'s Secret Invasion and I was glad that there was no reference of any kind (especially the wife angle) in The Marvels from that show.

Took my kids to see it today. It was alright. Hadn't watched the Ms. Marvel series but I did like the character in this movie so I may go back and check it out.

Mid credit scene put a huge smile on my face

I'm not surprised. Thanos gets a lot of love, and deservedly so. But the majority of MCU Big Bads are mediocre at best. The only ones who really make the grade are Thanos(dead)Red Skull(a ghost)Norman Osborn(cured of the Green Goblin and back in the Sony-verse)and Wilson Fisk/Kingpin(but only if you include the Netflix shows).

I actually think the best antagonist in the MCU was Loki in Thor and the first Avengers. He was villanous, yet charismatic and you could understand why his background led him to do what he did. Also, he wasn't a scenery-chewing muscle berk, but lean, mean and scowling. There is a reason they used him in film after film and even tried a face turn in the series. Miss him as a villain, though.

I actually think the best antagonist in the MCU was Loki in Thor and the first Avengers. He was villanous, yet charismatic and you could understand why his background led him to do what he did. Also, he wasn't a scenery-chewing muscle berk, but lean, mean and scowling. There is a reason they used him in film after film and even tried a face turn in the series. Miss him as a villain, though.

Loki was GOAT-tier, no doubt. The only reason I didn't include him in my list of Big Bads is the God of Mischief has spent more time as an Anti-Hero or straight up Big Good than as a villain.

It is amazing to me that non-super hero movies get the Villain right and somehow Marvel and DC can't seem to get it right with way more material to draw from.. Villains can make a movie. Like Mission Impossible and Bond Franchises, Die Hard, Robinhood, Harry Potter, etc. Even Horror movies get it right most of the time. But Marvel and DC shit the bed most of the time. The Marvels has one of the weakest and boring villains on screen. Add in a pretty weak lead and its a bad recipe.

I came here to laugh about all the obvious fake audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, not to mention that Rotten Tomatoes and Disney clearly colluded to get this piece of shit just barely above the threshold for a 'fresh' rating... only to see even Sherdog has a bunch of shills giving it good reviews...

I hope you guys are getting paid.

I came here to laugh about all the obvious fake audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, not to mention that Rotten Tomatoes and Disney clearly colluded to get this piece of shit just barely above the threshold for a 'fresh' rating... only to see even Sherdog has a bunch of shills giving it good reviews...

I hope you guys are getting paid.
have you seen the movie?

Back