Movies The message behind Purple Rain (movie)

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Soo what's the message here exactly?

The Kid is admired by a beautiful up and coming artist. He helps her get noticed.

d91eaa08d7cbe7e281942284e9ac0010.jpg

She asks what she needs to do to take things a step further, the Kid tells her she needs to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minetonka

She complies!

ab71ac13cd42eeb1eddf122062e4e2b6.jpg

He ends up ditching her in a super vulnerable moment for her, but then allows her to get her things and they leave together.

At some point, while the Kid is on stage, he once again embarasses her by playing Darling Nikki while she's in the audience (I KNOW RIGHT?)

While the Kid is off emotionally abusing this poor woman and telling the rest of The Revolution they have no say in what music gets played, the Kid is ALSO holding a deep resentment for his father for being abusive to his wife (the Kid's mom).

He's so protective of mom, he takes one for the team! (what a son)

Y55M.gif

In the end, the Kid, in a moment where he loses control, hits Apollonia.

At some point he goes home, to find his father wracked in guilt playing some mediocre music. The father tells him that the Kid's talent comes form him, albeit diluted because dad never writes his music down (he doesn't have to)

The Kid leaves, dad kills himself.

Once the Kid decides he's going to try to work things out with dad, he finds him dead at home, and all of the music dad wrote down. (?)

The Kid, in a moment of clarity, realizes The Revolution can write good music after all, so he ends the film by appropriating the song and everyone lives happily ever after.

So if I understand this film correctly, it actually is ok to hit women and take credit for your bandmates' music. As long as you crush it on stage.

Last edited:

The Kid is admired by a beautiful up and coming artist. He helps her get noticed.

She asks what she needs to do to take things a step further, the Kid tells her she needs to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minetonka

She complies!

He ends up ditching her in a super vulnerable moment for her, but then allows her to get her things and they leave together.

At some point, while the Kid is on stage, he once again embarasses her by playing Darling Nikki while she's in the audience (I KNOW RIGHT?)

While the Kid is off emotionally abusing this poor woman and telling the rest of The Revolution they have no say in what music gets played, the Kid is ALSO holding a deep resentment for his father for being abusive to his wife (the Kid's mom).

Y55M.gif

At some point he goes home, to find his father wracked in guilt playing some mediocre music. The father tells him that the Kid's talent comes form him, albeit diluted because dad never writes his music down (he doesn't have to)

Once the Kid decides he's going to try to work things out with dad, he finds him dead at home, and all of the music dad wrote down. (?)

The Kid, in a moment of clarity, realizes The Revolution can write good music after all, so he ends the film by appropriating the song and everyone lives happily ever after.

So if I understand this film correctly, it actually is ok to hit women and take credit for your bandmates' music. As long as you crush it on stage.

The Kid's dad didn't die in his suicide attempt.

So for what it's worth, as ridiculous as Prince's character is in that movie, I think it's not far off from who he was.

Here he is enjoying a tribute to George Harrison. He gets on stage in the middle of the performance and makes it about himself.

Here he is making fun of his fans for trying to sing along

At one point he just stops playing the song to talk about himself.

She complies!

Y55M.gif

I think the true message here is that it is sometimes better to skip the movie and just listen to the soundtrack.

yeah the movie wouldnt make it if it was made today with the chauvinistic female abuse stuff. But other then that, the movie was about a guy who had his own demons and was trying to make it past his rival and get his act together. By the end he appears to have done just that. The movie is nothing special but I do really enjoy the "purple rain" performance at the end. Sometimes when Im drunk Ill pull that scene up on youtube.

So for what it's worth, as ridiculous as Prince's character is in that movie, I think it's not far off from who he was.

Here he is enjoying a tribute to George Harrison. He gets on stage in the middle of the performance and makes it about himself.

Yuck. That is nightmare fuel for me.

1 guitar is how many guitars ever need to be playing at the same time in my opinion. Add the "it's all about ME" guitar player soloing over everything including vocals and chorus... kill that with fire please.

(Prince is a phenomenal musician but was clearly an egomaniac narcissistic napoleon complex nutjob)

Here he is making fun of his fans for trying to sing along

At one point he just stops playing the song to talk about himself.

<DisgustingHHH>

Yuck. That is nightmare fuel for me.

1 guitar is how many guitars ever need to be playing at the same time in my opinion. Add the "it's all about ME" guitar player soloing over everything including vocals and chorus... kill that with fire please.

(Prince is a phenomenal musician but was clearly an egomaniac narcissistic napoleon complex nutjob)

<DisgustingHHH>
Glad you get it.. that description is on point.

Many more stories to prove it as well.

He borrowed a prized guitar from someone from the Roots- ended the performance, breaking it in the process, then when Captain Kirk asked Prince to at least sign the guitar so he got at least something out of the situation, Prince refused.

But I mean, this is the guy who gave the world "Kiss" so I guess it balances out.

Back