The Official Recipe Thread:

If you insist, microwave @30% for 1:15 flip then 40% for 35 seconds.

Naw, I think I'll just do that egg and onion thing. Steak was slightly overcooked anyway. Grill wasn't hot enough and it got to medium

With grilling season upon us, anyone have a healthy recipe for a bbq sauce? All the store bought stuff has high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient, and all the recipes I find online are loaded with sugar. Either way, too many calories for my liking. Like 60-90 cals per 2T of mostly sugar. I'd rather use that to go towards half an ice cream or something personally.

Recently made this and it was awesome. Off eatingwell.com

I added a couple eggs when mixing up the meat to make it stick together plus added awesomeness.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 medium sweet apple, such as Gala or Honeycrisp, peeled and diced
1 pound ground chicken
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fennel fennel seed, chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Wipe out the pan.
Add chicken, sage, sugar, fennel, salt and pepper to the bowl with the apples and onions. Gently mix to combine.
Generously coat the pan with cooking spray and heat over medium. Using a 1/3-cup measure, scoop 4 portions of the sausage mixture into pan, flattening each into a 3-inch patty. Cook until the patties are browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Coat the pan with cooking spray again and repeat with remaining sausage mixture.

Nutrition

Per patty: 112 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.

anyone got any good recipes that involve red lentils? I have a huge bag and never had/cooked them before

With grilling season upon us, anyone have a healthy recipe for a bbq sauce? All the store bought stuff has high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient, and all the recipes I find online are loaded with sugar. Either way, too many calories for my liking. Like 60-90 cals per 2T of mostly sugar. I'd rather use that to go towards half an ice cream or something personally.

It's more of a California version of an Argentinian style sauce that's naturally low calorie for grilled or bbq'd meat but what me and my wife love is this:

Minced raw green green chili (Serrano, jalepeno, or thai), minced onion or shallot (not too much), a bit of garlic, pepper, sea salt, and then fresh squeezed lemon juice enough to cover everything. A pinch of minced parsley or cilantro is nice too but isn't mandatory.

Spoon the lemon-chili-shallot-garlic sauce over any grilled or bbq'd meat, beef, sausages, grilled birds, fish, anything. Hell put it on grilled zucchini.

We usually spoon it over grilled quails (whole quails flayed open, dry marinate with salt/pepper/garlic, brush with garlic butter while grilling).

Remove any excess fat and membrane present.
Tenderize as parts of the beef heart can be tough.
Marinade in garlic butter for 3 hours.
Allow to get to room temperature.

Season with salt, pepper, thyme and basil.
BBQ to medium rare.

Beef heart has a similar taste to steak but with more of an iron flavor, and even has some vitamin c !

89661195_148835409924178_6293067201146519552_o.jpg

Cider Glaze Cornish Game Hens ( i know its a tad burnt, my daughter distracted me for literally 10 seconds.)

Season with coarse salt and coarse pepper.
1-2 TBSP fresh thyme and tarragon..
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 TBSP lemon juice
Let marinade in olive oil and lemon juice with herbs for 2-4 hours, occasionally rubbing the olive oil into the meat.

Glaze:
1 cup Apple cider (if going alcohol version, use strongbow dry or savannah dry), if you don't have either use apple juice as a substitute.
1/4 cup of clarified butter.
1 TBSP Honey.

Bring a pan up to medium high heat, and add your glaze and stir the contents until it bubbles and reduces by half.
Pour contents into a bowl, and brush your hens before placing under the broiler on the middle rack for 3-5 minutes, be careful not to burn your birds.
Turn oven up to 375F and bake 35-40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes, but leave some for when you take the hens out.

83797382_140481330759586_4708649273116327936_o.jpg

Back