The problem with Chito still remains

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Actually, when it comes to him being a champion, I have my doubts and have always had them for two main reasons:

1. He doesn't have anything truly lethal or devastating in his game that can end a fight or drastically change it in a second. Yes, he has fantastic powerful kicks, and good striking with some power, and the guy has very good grappling n bjj but there's never been an aspect of his game that someone has to truly think about in a way like, for instance no one wants to be against the cage vs Khabib or no one wants to get clipped by Pereira. You get my point. Chito has great defense, a very very good chin and overall is a good fighter because of his fundamentals and durability but doesn't separate himself in the way I mentioned above for me to truly believe in him in a fight where he needs it IMO.

2. He doesn't put out enough volume and loses rounds often because of it. Vera is a notoriously slow starter, for whatever reason, and more times than not he will lose the first round and sometimes even the second because he simply wasn't busy enough.

When I consider the above things, I then think about how Sean has true masterful counter punching ability, and his precision make him a guy who, unlike Chito has that one thing Chito will have to think about and be wary of.
Also,
if Marlon loses the first couple rounds because of not throwing enough strikes, he could become hasty in rounds 3-5 to try and force something and put himself in a precarious position for Sean to clip him.

Lastly, I don't think much of the leg thing as some of you do. I actually have no worries for Sean regarding that. That was a freak accident where his peroneal nerve got damaged suddenly and we've seen O'malley eat plenty of leg kicks since then by Yan and Aljo with zero issues. It's a non-issue for me fam.

For these reasons, my logical pick is O'Malley by KO, 2nd Round.

Last edited:
I made mine years ago but it doesn't matter to me. You sound uncertain. Is Chito winning or not?
naaaaah, I've lost too much money on sure bets in a sport as unpredictable as mma and Sanguinius is the best primarch. I'll settle with an "I told you so", if I remember. Sterling fought foolishly, Munhoz was winning, and yan got absolutely robbed. O'malley isn't a world beater.

That said, even though I still pick Sterling 8-9/10 times against O'malley, he did prove me wrong in that fight.

I don't see chito being champ to be honest, I don't think he has it all there, yeah he's power and sets it up pretty well but he also lets himself get outpointed alot, look what Aldo and Sandhagen did to him.
Yeah. Everyone talks about his cardio but he usually counts on big shots and doesn't throw a lot. If he's in that good of shape he really should try actually winning rounds rather than losing them and landing big shots. That will win some fights but obviously that shot isn't going to always come then you lose. Not a good gameplan if you want to be champion. That being said not saying he can't beat O'Malley but I think people are remembering Sean getting pieced up then getting injured.

naaaaah, I've lost too much money on sure bets in a sport as unpredictable as mma and Sanguinius is the best primarch. I'll settle with an "I told you so", if I remember. Sterling fought foolishly, Munhoz was winning, and yan got absolutely robbed. O'malley isn't a world beater.

That said, even though I still pick Sterling 8-9/10 times against O'malley, he did prove me wrong in that fight.
All of those guys have volume to win s decision though. Vera does not. That makes a ton of difference.

Also, Aljo fights like that against everybody, but not everybody can capitalize like that. I never implied that Sean is a world beater, but he's the best counter puncher in the division. He's also the most accurate striker with a reach advantage to boot vs most guys. Those things also matter. I see a clearer path to victory for Sean than I do for Chito realistically. How does Vera win this fight? TD? Leg kicks ? He's gonna get slept for the first time in his career. I'll settle with a "told ya so" too lol

I think OMalley will win but due to more activity. Need to see Vera wobbled even once to believe somone will stop him. I think Sean might be in survival mode last rounds but then Chito either loses via not pulling the trigger or he does pull it and...wins?

O'malley via decision where he clearly won but haters will say he lost

1. He doesn't have anything truly lethal or devastating in his game that can end a fight or drastically change it in a second. Yes, he has fantastic powerful kicks, and good striking with some power, and the guy has very good grappling n bjj but there's never been an aspect of his game that someone has to truly think about in a way like, for instance no one wants to be against the cage vs Khabib or no one wants to get clipped by Pereira. You get my point. Chito has great defense, a very very good chin and overall is a good fighter because of his fundamentals and durability but doesn't separate himself in the way I mentioned above for me to truly believe in him in a fight where he needs it IMO.

He can be devastating with his striking, and you don't want to get clipped by him. His power doesn't seem super crazy like Alex's, but no one's really does. That doesn't mean he's not super dangerous in that area.. I don't think you're giving him enough credit, and you have to look more at his opponents.

Font was beating him easily pretty much every round but lost like all of them because Chito would land something massive that almost finished him.

Same against Cruz. Chito was getting styled on and then landed something and dropped Cruz. He landed a bit later and finished him.

Was losing against Frankie too and then Bam! Took him out.

Chito hasn't really pushed to grapple much in the UFC, despite having like 4 subs here. But look at the guys he couldn't finish with strikes and went to decisions with in the UFC. They're all guys who either have never been finished with strikes or have only been finished once or twice, and even those finishes have asterisks beside them. The only exception is Pickett, who had been KOd twice, but even that isn't much and he was pretty old by then, and Aldo, who was also pretty washed by then.

Look at these stats for those guys that Chito couldn't TKO:

Font gets a lot of shit about being chinny, but has never been TKOd in almost 30 fights.

Grant has never been KOd in 20+ fights.

Lineker has been TKOd only once in 48 fights and it was a corner stoppage.

Silva De Andrade has been TKOd only once in 34 fights, and it was also a corner stoppage.

Yadong has been TKOd twice, but once was by a guy who has 19 KOs and the other was again, a corner stoppage.

Cory, 20+ fights and never been TKOd.

Pedro, 28 fights. Never been TKOd

Aldo has been KOd 4 times, but he's been pretty washed for a while.

So, yeh, outside of Aldo, and Yadong once getting KOd by some Russian KO artist with 19 KOs, no one else has finished any of the guys that Chito couldn't by anything other than a corner stoppage.

He's pretty clearly very dangerous on the feet. It's more just that his opponents that have been crazy durable.

I am not a big O'Malley person but he does well in the standup department. He is going move around Chito and pick shots. It's not the Apex so he has more room to move around. Chito is very fundamentally sound but he is very basic especially with his footwork. Chito is really good at hiding his chin behind his shoulders and high guard but contact is still made. O'Malley does well when people shell up and lets him work. They both have power but Chito doesn't have the same setups or hand speed.

I think Chito is good, don't get me wrong but he does get hit. Rob Font in the first round was hitting him a fair bit, now Chito might be holding back...do that against O'Malley and your going to lose.

He's a weird fighter and I think OP is right. He is extremely durable though, so he's got that. And 5 rounds might favour him given his slow starts. He's got a tougher path to victory than O'Malley, but he's no easy fight.

Back