The problem with pumpkin pie

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The crust. Why do they all have the same bland, tasteless, chalky crust? You have to eat the crust first otherwise it will ruin it if its your last bite. I cant think of any other dessert like this. The crust is usually my favorite part. It has potential to be the GOAT dessert but instead it's a mid tier, seasonal thing that needs whipped or ice cream to help it along. Why don't they ever do a Graham cracker crust or a flaky one like apple pies have? I can't be the only one who's up all night pondering this.....

I want to tell the Sam's Club bakers to make Dutch apple pie. Sometimes I want something other than lattice top crust.

I agree. They should make it with a puff pastry crust like some bakeries do with egg/cheese tart. I would take a freshly baked Hokkaido cheese tart any day over a slice of pumpkin pie.
1701575588246.png

I prefer a sweet potato poon but you need to work on your pie dough skills

I enjoy the pumpkin pie crust, so no complaints from me

I agree. They do have a lot of potential but the crust usually is the problem

My wife hates all store pumpkin pie, so she makes her own. That’s the problem OP, you need homemade pumpkin pie for that choice crust.

Other store bought pies don't have this issue
I guess I've just been spoiled to grow up in a family where pies were generally expected to be homemade, but does a supermarket pumpkin pie not use the same shell crust as their pecan pie or custard pie? I understand fruit pies are typically enclosed and require a different crust type, and certain pies like key lime are made with cracker crusts, but everything else seems to be the same, no?

I like the crust on pumpkin pie. I’ve never had a problem with it. Did you just get a shitty pie?

Eww, who the fuck eats the crust? I break that shit off before i even start eating. But if im baking, im making pumpkin cheesecake with gramcracker crumb. A few years ago i made a pumpkin cheesecake with pecan Praline topping.

Attachments

• 100_5600.JPG
    100_5600.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_5613.JPG
    100_5613.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_5616.JPG
    100_5616.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_5621.JPG
    100_5621.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 3
I know that this is about Pumpkin Pie..but I want to throw shade in my mother's direction. She only made apple pie for Thanksgiving this year, and the crumble topping was almost non-existent which made the pie basically inedible. Honestly, historically she's been a great cook/baker but as far as this year goes...it was trash. (I can't find it on new Sherdog...insert "exaggerated pounding fist/laughing face)

Last edited:
The crust. Why do they all have the same bland, tasteless, chalky crust? You have to eat the crust first otherwise it will ruin it if its your last bite. I cant think of any other dessert like this. The crust is usually my favorite part. It has potential to be the GOAT dessert but instead it's a mid tier, seasonal thing that needs whipped or ice cream to help it along. Why don't they ever do a Graham cracker crust or a flaky one like apple pies have? I can't be the only one who's up all night pondering this.....
Ditch the crust.

Make a custard from the pumpkin pie filling.

You're welcome

Back