The State of UFC 301, 7 Weeks Out

JoeRowe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240314_113237_Chrome.jpg
I suppose they can sneak the Barralho & Brener fights on the maincard but they still need 3 "PPV worthy" fights including a main-event.

The only opponent that would create any buzz for Pantoja would be Horiguchi & I feel like the UFC would've signed him already if they were interested. Mokaev? Royval 3??

The only other decent Brazilian names that are healthy & unbooked, that I can think of, are:

-Paulo Costa
-Edson Barboza
-Michel Pereira

What can be done to reasonably salvage this card?

View attachment 1034588
I suppose they can sneak the Barralho & Brener fights on the maincard but they still need 3 "PPV worthy" fights including a main-event.

The only opponent that would create any buzz for Pantoja would be Horiguchi & I feel like the UFC would've signed him already if they were interested. Mokaev? Royval 3??

The only other decent Brazilian names that are healthy & unbooked, that I can think of, are:

-Paulo Costa
-Edson Barboza
-Michel Pereira

Power Slap crossover to save the card

WHITE VS WHITE II: DOMESTIC DISPUTE

View attachment 1034588

-Paulo Costa
-Edson Barboza
-Michel Pereira

so...more or less a Fight Night card.

F that.

This is the price we pay for having a good UFC 298, 299, 300.

Rare case where they have to think about switching this to regular ESPN. They don't want to kill off any positive momentum they've gained with 298-300 and McGregor returning shortly after.

Feels more like a halfbaked Apex event.

Jean Silva vs. William Gomis has been announced as well.

I think the Horiguchi signing fell through as he was still under contract.

I think the main event is going to be Pantoja vs either Mokaev or Erceg.

Some fun fights they could add:
- Edson Barboza vs. Josh Emmett
- Amanda Lemos vs. Tatiana Suarez
- Michel Pereira vs. Hermansson or Dolidze (doesn't really matter)
- Gregory Rodrigues vs. Chris Curtis
- Andre Muniz vs. Rodolfo Vieira
- Rodolfo Bellato vs. Jung Da-Woon

There is always the chance that we see Alex Pereira make the short turnaround, however, this is a small chance

so...more or less a Fight Night card.

F that.

This is the price we pay for having a good UFC 298, 299, 300.
It didn't have to be this way tho. They could've booked the fights differently from jumpstreet. Even now does 300 need Figgy & Andrade on the early prelims? 299 & 300 could've easily spared a decent fight and still been more than good.

There is always the chance that we see Alex Pereira make the short turnaround, however, this is a small chance

Johnny Walker vs Khalil Rountree or Alonzo Menifield could be another fun fight to add.

I wouldn't mind Barboza vs Yair if they can get Yair board. It feels slightly more co-main worthy than Edson/Emmett. The fight with Ortega was only a few weeks ago but he didn't actually take much damage in defeat.

Suarez/Lemos is a good-call, although at this point Suarez is probably best served waiting for 300 to play out.

They put a lot of eggs into the 299 and 300 baskets. To be expected it would stretch cards directly around them a tad thin. If this was a regular point of any other year where they weren’t trying to directly compete with a former employee to dull their shine, and to pump the tires on a hundred numeral event the high quality fight density on those two cards would have been spread more evenly along this time period.

Why hasn't Leon's next fight been announced?
I think they may be figuring out whether the UK(July 20th) or Salt-Lake(July 27th) will be July's ppv.

With Tom/Leon/Paddy/MVP they'd be silly not to make the UK card the ppv imo. But if not then Leon could be utilized for 302 in Newark or 303 in Vegas. Or maybe Salt-Lake again but the sooner the better imo.

Dear Lord Anthony Smith's about to get murdered
Yet, again.

It’s not even entertaining anymore. He’s 4-5 in his last 9 since 2020. He talks an awful lot so I didn’t mind seeing him take a beating every once in a while. But, he’s still hanging in at number 10.

The guy has 19 losses. That’s 34% of his fights. I just don’t want to see him fight anymore. Not even if his role is as the sacrificial lamb. But if he’s on a card, I’ll see it, because I see them all.

Just my opinion.

Has Tatiana recovered from the knee injury that made her pull out of 298?

Easily one of the biggest “what ifs” in UFC history, imo. Injuries/illness have butchered her career.

Back