The Striking of Conor McGregor (with GIF's) -- RETRO BUMP

Negative Zero

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Unlike what I have vehemently claimed in the past, I am no striking expert. So to save time feel free to enjoy the .gifs and ignore what I have to say about them, though I do feel I have something to add.

Conor McGregor has the potential to be one of the very best strikers in the UFC. He mixes "unorthodox" techniques like wheel kicks and tornado kicks with technical boxing. Not just technical punching but actual technical boxing. His stance, footwork, and posture are excellent, he chooses his angles well, picks up on opponent's weaknesses quickly, and is accurate.

I re-watched his UFC debut and despite how short it was, I found a plethora of great moments that showcased his striking skill, or at the very least how superior it was to Marcus Brimage's.

mcgregorfootwork.gif

The opening exchange demonstrates his solid footwork, posture, and strike placement. Marcus keeps wading in headfirst with strikes, while Conor stands upright and patiently times his shots. He may have already known Marcus was prone to dropping his head down but if not he realized it immediately and throughout the fight he punished him with either chopping left hands or upward strikes as he came in low.

This gif also shows Conor's superior footwork. He faces Marcus's centerline and as soon as his feet aren't oriented this way he resets back to the center as Marcus's feet are sort of all over the place. After the initial exchange, Marcus approaches Conor off to the side while Conor is still facing him, and Conor throws an upward strike, a knee, that glances off Marcus's head and if Marcus had ducked down slightly more as he tends to, the fight would have been over extremely fast.

mcgregorfrontkick.gif

As Conor enters striking range, Marcus predictably drops down slightly to strike or defend and Conor strikes upward down the middle with a front kick.

mcgregorelbowcounter.gif

Brimage runs forward with a punch and is countered with a perfectly timed short elbow. It took him less than a minute to find Marcus's range and be able to stay close enough after being attacked to counter him.

mcgregorcounterpunch.gif

Look familiar? Marcus wades in with a hook and McGregor stays just outside range and counters with a short left hand.

mcgregorexchange1.gif

An awesome exchange by McGregor. He uses angles excellently. He will attack forward, upward, downward, or to the side as appropriate. He places his punches purposefully, in the moment, he clearly does not fire pre-made combos out randomly. Also I've noticed that more than once in the fight he seems to throw a punch that seems like it's going to miss so it turns into a short elbow at the last moment. I'm not sure if that's on purpose but it seems to be.

mcgregor%20finish.gif

And the finish. He is practically clowning Brimage with the fact that he can uppercut him almost at will due to his predictable body and head movement. He can't seem to help himself but lead head first, head down towards Conor when he wants to punch him. Conor picks his punches well and drops Brimage and pounds him out.

I won't make this any longer than it already is. Conor is an amazing prospect and I can't wait to see more of him. If his striking continues to improve then he will be absolutely devastating and a real threat to Henderson, assuming he is still the champion when/if McGregor gets his shot.

That's basically the whole fight, just in GIF format.

Inb4 twerps with cookie cutter statements like "OMG his hands are down he is going to get knockout".

His precision is so precise.

dat irish boxing

but really though, good thread

brimage is no slouch either, mcgregor made him look sloppy, but that just shows how good conor is.

That's basically the whole fight, just in GIF format.
Pretty much, and it's incredible that this is more like the entire fight and less like highlights because normally you'd have to sift through a few rounds or so to find such technical one-sided moments.

I actually had a few more thoughts about a couple things that happened that I didn't end up making GIF's of. McGregor making Brimage bite on his feints over and over, and the concept of Brimage's actual landed punches bothering McGregor far less because his posture was better, his head was farther away and so Brimage's punches (for the most part) landed at the very end of his reach.

I love how he just baited Brimage into those uppercuts time and time again.

Brilliant stuff, and I agree with all your points TS, good analysis.

Cool thread with gifs definitely worth saving. Solid analysis aswell, atleast given the fact that I've only recently begun to grow interest to the intricacies of the striking game which I'm currently quite oblivious to.

Conor seems to possess some of the best understanding of striking distance in the UFC. He practically sees Brimage's punches coming, knows they will hit him, but simultaniously is able to calculate that they won't have an impact that could be considered dangerous to Conor, and thus doesn't even make an attempt to dodge them. Pretty much allows him to be an all-out counterpunching machine.

His footwork and ability to find angles will help him immensely when it comes to defending takedowns.

Conor seems to possess some of the best understanding of striking distance in the UFC. He practically sees Brimage's punches coming, knows they will hit him, but simultaniously is able to calculate that they won't have an impact that could be considered dangerous to Conor, and thus doesn't even make an attempt to dodge them. Pretty much allows him to be an all-out counterpunching machine.

WOW. A strong imagination.

However in reality I think that when each description begins with 'Marcus wades in with a ........' we should all calmly sit down before we start getting too excited about McGregor's counter-punching.

WOW. A strong imagination.

However in reality I think that when each description begins with 'Marcus wades in with a ........' we should all calmly sit down before we start getting too excited about McGregor's counter-punching.
You still have to have the skill to capitalize which obviously not everyone does. A huge disparity in skill makes the lesser fighter* look like absolute crap, which Brimage is not.

And it's not like that was what every gif consisted of anyway.

Last edited:
He threw some of his uppercuts really weird as well, anyone else think about that? He was kind of winding up from down at his hips, flicking his wrists like when you're skipping stones.

Anyone have the stats from this fight? Did marcus hit him with anything? And how many strikes did McGregor miss?

He threw some of his uppercuts really weird as well, anyone else think about that? He was kind of winding up from down at his hips, flicking his wrists like when you're skipping stones.

Anyone have the stats from this fight? Did marcus hit him with anything? And how many strikes did McGregor miss?
Marcus countered the front kick with a straight punch that didn't move McGregor's head the slightest bit, and actually landed one of his strong hooks but McGregor was unaffected. Other than that he landed a couple punches in the exchanges highlighted and I don't know what else if anything. I don't have the stats.

And yeah he wound up some of those uppercuts in a silly telegraphing way which is why i mentioned him "clowning" Brimage with his uppercuts because Brimage was helpless to them.

McGregor has that certain flash and style that could make him a potential superstar someday. He could be to Ireland what GSP is to Canada.

I watched his other fights after he beat Brimage and you can see a steady improvement and an impressive list of inherent qualities. He is fast, accurate, powerful, agile and a quick learner. Add to that his mental toughness displayed by his lack of jitters and actually throwing Brimage off his game instead and you have a possible future contender.

It's a debut that is almost Anderson vs Leben like. It'd be cool to see him continue in the vein that AS did.

his footwork and accuracy are pretty impressive. would love to see what he does against upcoming opponents...especially if he gets Cub in the near future. wouldnt mind the Akira fight instead either.

Back