The true victory from Saturday

SecondToNone

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Judges actually giving a decision to the challenger! Too often in close fights like Namajunas/Zhang 2, Adesanya/Romero, Jones/Reyes, the judges will hand the fight to the champion. I think it comes from viewing the champ as having already won the round by virtue of being champ, so unless the challenger wins the round emphatically, they give it to the champ. obviously that's fucking stupid so it was nice to see the right man win.

I didn't have a problem with the decision, I just wasn't that impressed with the fight.

It's always been that way in combat sports. You have to actually BEAT the champ. You shouldn't be able to squeak by and take someone's belt

It's always been that way in combat sports. You have to actually BEAT the champ. You shouldn't be able to squeak by and take someone's belt

number-one-bullshit-khabib-nurmagomedov.gif

The judging criteria doesn't change just because it's a championship fight. A close decision is a close decision whether the champ is on the winning or losing end.

number-one-bullshit-khabib-nurmagomedov.gif

The judging criteria doesn't change just because it's a championship fight. A close decision is a close decision whether the champ is on the winning or losing end.
That's just not how most people view it. That's why challagers rarely take the belt over a close decision

TS is talking about Figgy, Gane clearly lost, he new it before the end of the final round, said himself.
Nothing to be butthurt.

That's just not how most people view it. That's why challagers rarely take the belt over a close decision

Doesn't matter how most people view it. Those are the rules of the sport.

Imagine Bucs fans complaining that losing doesn't count because the Rams barely beat them an they're the reigning champs.

I had no dog in that fight, actually like Moreno more, but I scored it easily for Figuereido. I don't see the controversy in either fights.

Doesn't matter how most people view it. Those are the rules of the sport.

Imagine Bucs fans complaining that losing doesn't count because the Rams barely beat them an they're the reigning champs.
That's not a judged sport. Not sure how this analogy provides any clarity on your opinion. In a judged sport, things like this do matter. If you don't want it to matter, maybe you should push for MMA to have a more traditional scoring setup. It's hard for people to decide to take a belt from someone when the fight is close

That's not a judged sport. Not sure how this analogy provides any clarity on your opinion. In a judged sport, things like this do matter. If you don't want it to matter, maybe you should push for MMA to have a more traditional scoring setup. It's hard for people to decide to take a belt from someone when the fight is close

There's a scoring system that's the same in every fight just like there is in the NFL. You saying " You shouldn't be able to squeak by and take someone's belt" is idiotic because it removes any kind of fairness from the judging of the fight.

There's a scoring system that's the same in every fight just like there is in the NFL. You saying " You shouldn't be able to squeak by and take someone's belt" is idiotic because it removes any kind of fairness from the judging of the fight.
Sure there's a scoring system but too much of that system is based on objective opinion. That's why you get "bad" decisions. There is no set score for anything you do in the cage. You can call it stupid, but that's just the way most of us feel. You gotta beat the Champ not just hope the judges thought you won lmao

Sure there's a scoring system but too much of that system is based on objective opinion. That's why you get "bad" decisions. There is no set score for anything you do in the cage. You can call it stupid, but that's just the way most of us feel. You gotta beat the Champ not just hope the judges thought you won lmao

How people "feel" doesn't matter. Scores are scores. If you want a sport that has any kind of integrity then that shouldn't change just because it's a championship fight.

*As a side note, you need to look up the difference between the words "objective" and "subjective".

"You got to beat the champ to be the champ" is a Ric Flair pro rassling quote. And became a combat sports myth. A popular one.

It only makes sense from a non-sport perspective. Like a street fight, the head of the gang gets floored, but stands up and they're separated. "You gotta finish the job".

In sports there are rules, scoring criteria. Same for every participant. A fair sport. The better man wins under those rules. Status or not.

This wasn't that hard to score because the challenger dropped the champ in two separate rounds. So the example doesn't apply. It was clear, as with BJM's new rules "immediate" matters most, and that's a knockdown.

What? The term "to be the champ you gotta beat the champ" comes from the 1920's when the sport of boxing was corrupt due to the heavy mafia influence.

That shit is outdated now.

What you're saying doesn't make sense because rounds are scored right after the round is done. Not after the whole fight is over lol.

Reactions: MCS
What? The term "to be the champ you gotta beat the champ" comes from the 1920's when the sport of boxing was corrupt due to the heavy mafia influence.

That shit is outdated now.

What you're saying doesn't make sense because rounds are scored right after the round is done. Not after the whole fight is over lol.
I'm just saying judges have natural bias that plays into judging. When watching someone try and take the belt off the champ, they will most likely like to see a clear win. When rounds are close judges have the tendency to score it for the champ. Idk why you're trying to act like I'm using some ancient term from the 20's lmao that rule is still held true today. The multiple examples in the OP and countless other examples prove this. Idk why you're acting like it's my rule and I'm enforcing it lmao

Back